Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com, Cooley: Burress could go from prison to Redskins' roster

s0crates

I think Cooley needs to stfu. If i'm one of the receivers on the team, his comments don't really do much to give me confidence or build team chemistry. I don't really care how he feels, but there is no need to say crap like that on the radio.

Serious question here. Are you high?
If that's a serious question, then I have one for you in return: Are you an idiot?
Plaxico Burress was the best receiver in the league when he went to jail for bringing a handgun into NYC and shooting himself?

Andre Johnson, Wes Welker, Brandon Marshall, Larry Fitzgerald, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Eddie Royal, Anquan Boldin, Roddy White, Dwayne Bowe, Steve Smith, Calvin Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens. He was better than all these guys?

Plax isn't close to most of those receivers. He has a history of a high percentage of dropped passes due to lack of concentration.

I recall a Skins home game in Gibbs Two when Plax helped the Giants to a second half comeback win after the Skins led by 14; but the only reason that the game was close is that he dropped six passes in the first half.

Rookie WRs usually take a few years to pan out. Or flame out. As we have been seeing first hand in recent years.

The question needs to be asked, are we rebuilding this season, or not. Only then can we decide if we need vets brought in at wideout. We have been thin at wideout for years. In win now mode, mind you.

I am with you Clark, saying things like this must make the other wideouts a bit miffed. A WR should tweet we need to make a move for Mark Bavaro.

Whether you believe what he did was "really wrong" or not, it unarguably shows that he's a grade-A dumbass. To make the decisions leading up to the incident to (a) bring an illegal gun into New York, (B) carry that illegal gun concealed into public, and © carry your firearm tucked into the waste-band of your sweatpants with the safety off all tells me that you are basically retarded. I want none of that brand of stupidity on my team.

IMO - The guy has something to prove... and a man with something to prove is hard to get in the way of. This could be his career year just like Vick. I do not endorse this, but I have faith in our FO in making the right decision, and if Plax is it, then do the damn thang

Whether you believe what he did was "really wrong" or not, it unarguably shows that he's a grade-A dumbass. To make the decisions leading up to the incident to (a) bring an illegal gun into New York, (B) carry that illegal gun concealed into public, and © carry your firearm tucked into the waste-band of your sweatpants with the safety off all tells me that you are basically retarded. I want none of that brand of stupidity on my team.
And I bet Mike Shanahan feels the same way.

I'd pass. Hankerson has the potential to be an effin' beast (i.e., the big time receiver Cooley so desperately wants) and Armstrong's going nowhere. As long as we re-sign Moss, I don't think we even need to target any WRs in FA.

And before the "holier-than-thou" bs posts start, what exactly did he do wrong? He shot himself in the leg like a moron. He didn't even threaten anyone like Sean Taylor in the atv incident.(RIP).

What did he do wrong? Seriously?!?! If that loaded gun accidentally goes off in a different direction in a public place and hits YOU or someone associated with you, or anyone else, are you still gonna think he did nothing wrong?!?!

But if filling up roster slots with old players is bad, why is reinking Santana good?

Because:

A) Santana knows the playbook

B) He is a good mentor to the younger receivers...someone who talks with his play more than his mouth

C) He can still be effective, especially if we put him in the slot

I would be happy if we brought him in to try out, but honestly I think only the best receiver's should take the field regardless of their name or how much we are paying them. Open competition at the Wide Receiver spot. And if he makes it to the top of the starting order, great, if not, that is great as well.

---------- Post added June-22nd-2011 at 12:06 PM ----------

Because:

B) He is a good mentor to the younger receivers...someone who talks with his play more than his mouth

Totally agree Hitman.

Because:

I completely agree here. Moss is a solid receiver, a positive mentor, and still has some left in the tank with the desire to remain in DC. Personally, Burress has, perhaps, learned a valuable lesson that will make him a much better player both on and off the field. Problem is, he hasn't been on the field for a minute and has always been some what of a knucklehead. I'd much rather see Moss back out on the field (at least you know what you're going to get from him) than Burress. Let our new young receivers grow and see what we have in them.

Remeber, we have:

Hankerson

Paul

Robinson

Banks

Austin

Armstrong

Kelly (wait, nevermind, he pulled a hamstring while stepping to answer his phone....:doh:).

There are also some other young receivers on the roster, but can't recall their names at the moment. Point is, will Burress really add that much to our offense other than perhaps stiffling some of our young receivers for playing time?

I agree. I'm excited for Hankerson and I don't want an impressionable rookie ruined.
I am excited as well for our young players, but I do not think Burress is bad. He had some character issues when he was with Pittsburgh, but he went past that when he went to NY. Yes of course he was extremely stupid to shoot himself in the leg, but he was not trying to do any harm when he did it, and if you were hanging out in places in NY and was an NFL player, wouldn't you want some sort of protection? Personally I would say he shouldn't be in a place where he feels like he needs protection, but then again, I am older while he is a young guy.

I am excited as well for our young players, but I do not think Burress is bad. He had some character issues when he was with Pittsburgh, but he went past that when he went to NY. Yes of course he was extremely stupid to shoot himself in the leg, but he was not trying to do any harm when he did it, and if you were hanging out in places in NY and was an NFL player, wouldn't you want some sort of protection? Personally I would say he shouldn't be in a place where he feels like he needs protection, but then again, I am older while he is a young guy.

I don't know you (unfortunately), but I would also assume he has a little more money than you, thus making him a juicier target.

Because:

Depends upon the terms of the re-sign. Moss led the NFL in YAC last year and was very productive. There's no reason he doesn't have a couple more good years left in him. There is a benefit in having some veterans around to mentor. Question is do you sacrifice a younger prospect for that? Tough question. But clearly bringing Plaxico would be a mistake and would have been a classic Vinny type move.

What did he do wrong? He took a loaded gun into a public place and almost shot a door man. Thats pretty bad imo

I already don't agree with the laws in that state. Im a gunsmith and gun enthusiast. It doesnt change the fact that its still illegal, but in my mind, there is nothing wrong with someone carrying a weapon for self defense. The government feels otherwise, but as far as im concerned he did nothing wrong. The guy is a professional football player and by all means a celebrity. Were i in his position, I would have protection on me at all times. I would think Redskins would understand this better than anyone given what happened to Sean Taylor. Had Sean grabbed a pistol rather than a baseball bat, we may not have signed Otagwe.

The man went in a club with a concealed handgun so he wouldnt end up like Banks. Yeah, he made a mistake and mishandled the firearm, and it resulted in him shooting himself in the foot. I think he served enough punishment from that because im sure that really ****in hurt. Ask him if he learned his lesson the second that bullet entered his flesh. Honestly it was probably worse than prison (at least for him).

As a gunsmith, i handle firearms a lot. It increases my chances of experiencing a misfire. People make mistakes, and its not always because they are being irresponsible or stupid. I have had a couple. One misfire from a weapon malfunction when i pulled a bolt back. For all technical purposes and according to the manufacturer, it is extremely rare for the malfunction to happen and it shouldnt have happened, but it did. It could have killed someone, as i said very...boldly...to the company. The only other misfire i had was a bullet getting in the chamber without me knowing. The best, safest, and most healthy way to store a rifle is after a dry-fire with the hammer forward. When i dry fire, i point the rifle away from anything that would be harmed if a bullet exits the chamber. That time, long story short, a bullet had gotten into the chamber without me knowing. As someone who handles firearms a lot, i got a bit careless and "just knew there wasnt a round in the chamber" (famous last words). a couple seconds later there was a hole in my floor and a jump in my heartbeat. (please save your judgements of my misfire, because i know some one you have them. I was a bit arrogant with the rifle in thinking "i just knew", and i made a mistake. No one was put in any harm, and its a long, series of coincidences that got that round into the chamber without me knowing.)

Summary: Things happen, people make mistakes. The important thing is that they learn from them, and no one was hurt or intended to be harmed in any way.

Why do people think that a "rebuilding" mode means that everyone on the team has to be 22 years old? I don't get that.

You want to know the best way to guarantee that young guys never develop? Force them to be the #1 receiving threat on bad teams when they aren't ready to do it.

Very well said. Hankerson on one side' date=' Burress on the other, and Moss in the slot. Wow, we have an offense. And teams won't stack the line. And if Burress isn't 100% back to speed yet? He beats the hell out of Joey Galloway coming off the bench.

What did he do wrong? Seriously?!?! If that loaded gun accidentally goes off in a different direction in a public place and hits YOU or someone associated with you, or anyone else, are you still gonna think he did nothing wrong?!?!

He brought a loaded gun into a bar, and accidentally shot himself. He's a moron.

How many people here have gotten behind the wheel of a 2,000 pound car, and driven home after a few too many drinks? That can be just as deadly. That too, is a loaded weapon in public.

Pass. This is the time for a new generation of WR's, not retreads, or retreads who have been in JAIL for several years

Showcase the young kids like AA and Banks and Hankerson.

I agree 100%. If AA has another strong year, sign him to a fair, long term contract. Hankerson will almost certainly get a starting spot so his development will start immediately. Hopefully, MK will settle down and become a big contributor. If we can keep Kyle's offense here for the next 5 years, these kids will be very good and one may be great.

It doesnt change the fact that its still illegal, but in my mind, there is nothing wrong with someone carrying a weapon for self defense. The government feels otherwise, but as far as im concerned he did nothing wrong. Had Sean grabbed a pistol rather than a baseball bat, we may not have signed Otagwe.

He did nothing wrong despite it being illegal? And you don't think there is anything wrong with discharging a gun in a public place?

Different situation regarding S Taylor. It would not have been illegal for him to have a gun in his house for home protection.

As far as bringing on Burress, I doubt Shanahan will take a chance on a player with character issues who is out of football shape after spending a couple of years in jail. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think if we plan on bringing in a FA to start it will be a younger S Rice and not Burress.

If you were Plexico and you had your old team screaming and lighting all of the fires of wanting you back who just happens to be the team in the last Superbowl, why would you come here? Seriously? The only reason is you get an offer you can't refuse, Don't gimmie that crap about our rich history, that means nothing to today's players. If you support Plex to the Skins then you need to realize the only way that happens is if we overspend everyone else. NO THANK YOU to that idea. Cooley smoked something when he gave that interview

Archived