Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Om Field: The Clinton Portis Legacy

Om

The Clinton Portis Legacy

June 17, 2011

When the Washington Redskins released running back Clinton Portis on March 1, 2011, the curtain came down on one of the most mercurial, memorable careers in team history.

His was truly a shooting star—sometimes brilliant, often frustrating, never ordinary.

Yes, there have been colorful characters in burgundy and gold before. Troubled defensive end Dexter Manley springs to mind; as does legendary Hall of Fame running back John Riggins. But none have ever outshone Clinton Portis.

Redskins fans will definitely remember his presence on the field; perhaps more so in time, as his career settles slowly into the rear view mirror and historical perspective.

Few running backs of his era have been more adept at finding small seams in defenses arrayed to stop him—the byproduct of an often inept passing game during Portis’ seven years in Washington—and bursting into the defensive secondary.

Few have also been as frustrating once arriving there. In recent years Portis was increasingly, frustratingly, unable to make that one final, open-field move and beat that one remaining defender between him and the goal line. The money move—the move that turns big gains into a game-breaking scoring plays.

Few running backs in league history, let alone Redskins history, have ever been more physical. Portis introduced a generation of local fans to the concept and value of a reliable, sometimes brutish, backfield pass blocker.

Of course, at the end of the day, what history truly measures running backs by are numbers. Cold statistics. In that light, Clinton Portis shines...

CLICK HERE to read more

GREAT write up.

Portis will be missed. I've said it before, but i truely wonder what he could have been if we didn't let him screw around. If Shanahan was here for his entire career, instead of people who let him get away with crap. I mean... shanahan was the only one who got him to actually care about coming into camp in shape and training hard during camp...

It's a shame his talent was wasted with awful offensive lines, lack of offense, etc.

He carried an entire team on his back into the playoffs. He made some of the best blocks.

Thanks for posting the vids, Hitman. Memory is one thing---but still no substitute for eyes and ears.

How CP fits into Redskins lore as the years go by is going to be an interesting watch as well. Man was ... unique.

Thanks for posting the vids, Hitman. Memory is one thing---but still no substitute for eyes and ears.

How CP fits into Redskins lore as the years go by is going to be an interesting watch as well. Man was ... unique.

No problem Om. The first thing I thought of after reading the blog was the "Ante Up" video of Portis destroying Kiwanuka. Just went with the flow then, finding other good ones.

Great write up OM. CP was and is a great Redskins. Sure he had his flaws being a Snyder guy. But the man came to play every Sunday.

The one knock on him as your wrote, was these DB's always bringing him down a the touch of contact. Frustrating!!

CP will rank up there for me, and wish him well in the future, just not against us.

Love him or hate him he was one of the best to do it,such a shame that he never had the pieces Riggins did. Hopefully CP gets picked up by a superbowl contention team and is able to get a ring, for all he has meant to me as a fan. He will always be remembered fondly by me :)

He carried an entire team on his back into the playoffs. He made some of the best blocks.

I'll miss CP. He essentially was our offense under Gibbs. He, along with great defensive play made our post season appearances possible. I really never had a problem with him. His head was too big for his own good, but he still gave a damn and played hard for us. I know it's likely not going to happen, but I would like him to stay and retire a Redskin. I still think he can play this game.

I will definitely miss CP. As part of the younger generation of Redskins fans, he is pretty much the only reason we were ever relevant in the past 10 years. That, and GW's defenses. For that reason, I will always remember Portis, Gibbs, and GW fondly. I hope Shanahan can bring this team back to relevancy. Finding another back as talented as Portis is probably a good step.

I thought OF was OldFan. I read the first few paragraphs and thought "wow, Oldfan is mellowing quite a bit". :doh:

I know right. I was wondering WTF is up with that typo, LOL. "F" and "M" are not close on the keyboard. Well on mine anyway. :silly:

I always thought they were OM titled not OF, jokes on me for not paying attention.

CP is the best offensive player we've had here in a VERY long time. Yeah he was crazy off the field and people got tired of his act, but on the field, he was a beast. I will make sure I'm at the game when he goes into the Ring of Fame!

How long until then? First home game next year? Last? Two years?

I am sorry to see Portis go because he was the one consistent player on the field when it was time to perform even when the O-line didn't open up holes. It wasn't until 3 or 4 years of bad O-line play before he complained about it. If he had a line like the Hogs of old he would be the NFL all time rushing leader. He is that good of a back. He is one of the best pass protecting back of all time. That is something we will miss in the backfield. That took away his efectiveness in the passing game because he is a good receiving back even though his numbers don't show it. If he wasn't relied on to block so much in the past 3 or 4 years he would have had better numbers. Who care if he was a character as long as he performed at a high level. John Riggins and Dexter Manley were just as bad. So good luck Portis but you are no longer a Redskin so when you play aagainst us I want you to be a non-factor in the game. I bleed Burgundy and Gold.

More fine writing Om. As usual. But...

Good riddance. It's the end of an era of distractions, underachievement, and stupidity. If I ever see another redskins running back slide down without being tackled again, I swear, I may have to blow torch my eyes out and pack the sockets with salt.

And BTW. Helu is going to make people realize just how bad Portis was. Mark my words.

When I think back on Clinton's career, I can't help dwelling on how badly we got raped in trading for him. We gave up a first-ballot HOF corner and a second-round pick for an above average running back.

Yep, they should have been the ones giving US a second rounder. That being said, the pick turned out to be Tatum Bell who I think we probably would have picked had we kept the pick. I highly doubt that number 2 pick would have given us anyone of significance, given our draft record.

Mike, it's hard not to agree with the "good riddance" sentiment ... but I sure would love to have seen the exact same CP we had do his thing on a team with a competent passing game over the past half-dozen years. Man never, EVER had a chance to go against defenses not arrayed 7, 8 and 9 deep on the LOS to stop him. Things might have looked a lot different around here had we had a Clinton Portis to feature in a balanced offense capable of spreading a defense out once in a while.

Also think it's unfair to hold CP to account for what the Redskins did value-wise to bring him here. CP didn't make Champ Bailout on Washington ... nor did he have anything to do with the 2nd rounder the Skins got "raped" into giving up for him. CP was a football player traded from one franchise to another. He didn't orchestrate it, he just switched uniforms the way traded players have done since they invented bubble gum cards.

Archived