Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Om Field: The Clinton Portis Legacy

Om

I thought OF was OldFan. I read the first few paragraphs and thought "wow, Oldfan is mellowing quite a bit". :doh:

Hahaha, that actually got a real chuckle out of me.

Om, that was perfect. Portis was Hall of Fame with a 6.5 line, but he was wasted in a 4. I loved his play, his heart, his characters, and though I often wanted him to just shut up and stop being an ass, I always respected his honesty. I will miss him.

---------- Post added June-17th-2011 at 03:35 PM ----------

Also think it's unfair to hold CP to account for what the Redskins did value-wise to bring him here. CP didn't make Champ Bailout on Washington ... nor did he have anything to do with the 2nd rounder the Skins got "raped" into giving up for him. CP was a football player traded from one franchise to another. He didn't orchestrate it, he just switched uniforms the way traded players have done since they invented bubble gum cards.

I see what you did there. Very nice.

Hi Om. I always enjoy reading your stuff.

I remember the way Portis ran for coach Gibbs. CP would run through a wall for him. They had a great relationship, and it was a lot of fun to watch.

CP's resume really is impressive, and while he did not do as much for the franchise as Riggo, I do think history will remember him fondly. His pass-pro skills were second to none, but what I remember is the way he put his body on the line for us. For several seasons, CP was the offense, and I don't think anybody can really question that. He carried us on his shoulders. In my opinion, CP should be in the ring of fame when he retires.

...Also think it's unfair to hold CP to account for what the Redskins did value-wise to bring him here. CP didn't make Champ Bailout on Washington ... nor did he have anything to do with the 2nd rounder the Skins got "raped" into giving up for him. CP was a football player traded from one franchise to another. He didn't orchestrate it, he just switched uniforms the way traded players have done since they invented bubble gum cards.
That makes sense. If you run into anyone holding Portis to account for the trade, you should make that argument to them.

Awesome comic]

Hahaha, indeed an awesome comic, but I was talking about the Bible passage:

"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast your pearls before the swine, lest haply they trample them under their feet, and turn and rend you."

There's a million variations, but that's the one I was talking about.

Hahaha, indeed an awesome comic, but I was talking about the Bible passage:

"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast your pearls before the swine, lest haply they trample them under their feet, and turn and rend you."

There's a million variations, but that's the one I was talking about.

That's what I figured, I just wanted an excuse to post that comic :D

That's a very good, fact-filled article on Portis, Om.

I think it's hard not to respect Portis for what he did as a Redskin. His first play for us against the Bucs, his steamrolling of defenses in the 2005 playoff run, his blocks, his characters, etc. He was our franchise player for many years and he didn't have the best of offensive lines either. Even though his tough style caught up with him the last few years, and affected him physically, no one can say that he didn't give 110 percent every time he was on the field.

When I see ****heads like Haynesworth, it makes me appreciate a hard worker like Portis.

---------- Post added June-18th-2011 at 01:37 AM ----------

More fine writing Om. As usual. But...

Good riddance. It's the end of an era of distractions, underachievement, and stupidity. If I ever see another redskins running back slide down without being tackled again, I swear, I may have to blow torch my eyes out and pack the sockets with salt.

And BTW. Helu is going to make people realize just how bad Portis was. Mark my words.

Don't be such a wet blanket.

Great article, I watched Portis at Miami, Denver, and Washington. Always ran his ass off and put it all on the field, he should go down as one of the all time Redskin greats no questions asked, and it's scary to think what he could have done here if he had a line and blocking scheme like the one in Denver, he'd have a HOF resume for sure

Your "rape" post made sense too. If you run into anyone who equates the Bailey/Portis trade with sexual assault, you have that angle covered.
I realize that you need to cover up your failed attempt to create a strawman argument, but it's ironic that you, of all people, criticize another for using hyperbole as a literary device since it's one of your favorite tools.

"His was truly a shooting star..."

BTW, the word "truly" in the foregoing sentence is not a good choice. It's like hearing someone say, "I literally died when when I got the news." He didn't literally die and his wasn't truly a shooting star.

I realize that you need to cover up your failed attempt to create a strawman argument, but it's ironic that you, of all people, criticize another for using hyperbole as a literary device since it's one of your favorite tools.

That's not hyperbole, he was literally firing a gun. :silly:

Had Clinton Portis not went down with an season ending injury two years straight, he would have caught up with John RIggins' Redskin rushing record. But it just wasn't meant to be. It doesn't take away from what he did on the football for the Redskins, or even his first two seasons in Denver. Clinton Portis is still a great running back.

Awesome article; articulate and well-written. :)

Polarizing figure that Clinton Portis was.....but alas:

......time was up as his needle was on empty for a while.

......good to brilliant moments, but mostly average when all was said and done (despite the stats).

......part of the losing "entitlement" culture that was rotten at this team's core.

......oxygen tank suppliers want him re-signed asap.

......releasing him will never come back to haunt us.

......good luck CP with your future endeavours.

That 'first carry' video is bittersweet for me. I was at that game, and the memory of that moment is so vivid... and all the hope and promise surrounding the arrival of Portis and return of Gibbs... It was all so perfect at that moment. I just KNEW that broken rushing records and Lombardi trophies were just a matter of time.

Say what you want about his mouth, the man is tough, changed his body and style for Gibbs, and sacrificed his body behind some less-than-talented lines. Few backs contribute in pass blocking with the ferocity Clinton displayed. To me, Riggo is still #1 but CP is 1a.

BTW, the word "truly" in the foregoing sentence is not a good choice. It's like hearing someone say, "I literally died when when I got the news." He didn't literally die and his wasn't truly a shooting star.

No, his usage is correct. Not all dictionary defintions of "shooting star" refer to meteors.

Thanks for the reads and comments, all.

CP will be less of a lightning rod as time goes by. One day we'll be able to see his career simply in terms of his actual skills and contributions to the offense. But that time won't come for several years. It hasn't been long enough yet to even begin to separate his Redskins legacy from the failed team legacy of the past generation. When the team is good again one day---and they will be---and/or even just with the passage of time, we'll forget the stupid locker room stuff and the fact his career came with the Redskins franchise in as down a state as it's been since the Allen/Gibbs renaissance brought them out of the last dark age.

I do believe history will be kind to Clinton Portis. It just won't be in a hurry to get there.

Thanks for the reads and comments, all.

CP will be less of a lightning rod as time goes by. One day we'll be able to see his career simply in terms of his actual skills and contributions to the offense. But that time won't come for several years. It hasn't been long enough yet to even begin to separate his Redskins legacy from the failed team legacy of the past generation. When the team is good again one day---and they will be---and/or even just with the passage of time, we'll forget the stupid locker room stuff and the fact his career came with the Redskins franchise in as down a state as it's been since the Allen/Gibbs renaissance brought them out of the last dark age.

I do believe history will be kind to Clinton Portis. It just won't be in a hurry to get there.

Very much agree Om. How can you be only 50 yards away from tying Riggo's record and not be remembered fondly? Unless he goes to the Eagles, Cowboys, or Giants of course.

I tend to agree that time will be on Clinton's side but it's unfortunate that time is what is needed for some to appreciate what he accomplished here. I've cited this before and will continue to do so, Clinton Portis' yards per game played as a Redskin is second in Skins history to only Brian Mitchell. Now Mitchell's numbers are inflated thanks to the kickoff return yards which became bloated after the KO rule changes in 1994. In terms of runners or receivers, there is Clinton and then everyone else.

His lack of playoff success should be considered of course when ranking him. But if he is to be held to account for playoff failures or non-appearances, I expect Sonny Jurgensen should be held to that same standard by people who use it to knock Clinton.

Archived