Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Law Enforcement Against Prohibition: On 40th Anniversary of “War on Drugs,” Cops Release Report Showing its Failure; World Leaders Encourage Drug Legalization

ACW

1. Isn't dentistry the leading occupation in the country for suicides? They are often drug related. Many of them are not responsible, and do get hammered.

2. I'm not talking about getting high right before work. I'm only talking about smoking pot until 10 or 11 at night, then performing surgery in the morning. What's wrong with that? Do you want that surgeon tomorrow morning? No? Why not? Is it because even if he stops taking bong hits at 11 pm tonight, that he will still be muddy-headed in the morning?

What could possibly go wrong by legalizing it?

1. provide the stat, otherwise don't try and pose it as a question just to pass it off as "fact."

Food batchmakers (241)

Physicians (222) and health aides (excluding nursing) (221)

Lathe and turning machine operators (199)

Biological, life and medical scientists (188)

Social scientists and urban planners (171)

Dentists (165)

Lawyers and Judges (140)

Guards/sales occupations were tied at 139

Tool and die makers (126)

Police, public servants (118)

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1588/what-occupation-has-the-highest-suicide-rate

took 5 seconds to google and find it. I guess the foodbatch makers are getting messed up at work too, or maybe it could be another cause. And since when does pot cause suicide or depression or anything hard prescription drugs and painkillers and novacaine cause?

2. I have NO problem with a doctor that stops getting high at 11 PM and does surgery on me 10 hours later at 9 AM. You obviously have no clue about the effects of pot, quit commenting like you do. To quote Big Lebowski: "You're out of your element Donnie."

Exactly. Dentists, people. Dentists. What more evidence do you need? Dentists kill themselves more than anyone else, thus proving how dangerous drugs can be. Want more proof? Japan has the highest suicide rate among developed nations. I'm sure I don't even need to explain how that's relevant.

****, I nearly spit cereal all over my keyboard.

1. provide the stat, otherwise don't try and pose it as a question just to pass it off as "fact."

Food batchmakers (241)

Clearly it's all those "herbs" they're working with. That's right, herbs = pot. You just lost your own argument. And Dentists were in the top 10, so QED.

Taking bong hits tonight doesn't impact how someone feels, and performs in the morning? Incredible.

Go take 15 bong hits tonight, then wake up and try something mentally challenging tomorrow morning--like even taking an exam. That's absurd.

First off, nobody takes that many at one time, they'll pass out before likely. Secondly, if someone goes through strenuous education to get to the level of doctor, they are likely going to be responsible when they have to operate the next day, especially considering the consequences if they mess up at all. They won't be getting ridiculously high the night before surgery. Pot being illegal or legal does nothing to prevent them from doing it now. Pot is readily available everywhere in the country. Secondly, you're out of your element. You can take even 15 bong hits, stop at 11 PM, and be completely fine 10 hours later. It doesn't last that long. It's not like alcohol in that way.

Words cannot possibly describe how stupid that post is. On so many levels.

1. Straightdope.com?:ols: Now there's a source.

How about Newsweek:

Doctors Who Kill Themselves

Every year, between 300 and 400 doctors take their own lives—roughly one a day. No other profession has a higher suicide rate.

http://www.newsweek.com/2008/04/19/doctors-who-kill-themselves.html

And :ols: that pot doesn't affect people. Literally, I've never seen anything more unintelligent in my life. Everyone here is literally more stupid for having read that nonsense. I award you NO points. And may God have mercy on your soul.

****, i nearly spit cereal all over my keyboard.

Clearly it's all those "herbs" they're working with. That's right, herbs = pot. You just lost your own argument. And dentists were in the top 10, so qed.

lmao!

---------- Post added June-16th-2011 at 10:08 PM ----------

Words cannot possibly describe how stupid that post is. On so many levels.

1. Straightdope.com?:ols: Now there's a source.

How about Newsweek:

Doctors Who Kill Themselves

Every year, between 300 and 400 doctors take their own lives—roughly one a day. No other profession has a higher suicide rate.

http://www.newsweek.com/2008/04/19/doctors-who-kill-themselves.html

And :ols: that pot doesn't affect people. Literally, I've never seen anything more unintelligent in my life. Everyone here is literally more stupid for having read that nonsense. I award you NO points. And may God have mercy on your soul.

I didn't realize every doctor who killed him/herself was a dentist. Add up the suicide numbers from my link of dentists and physicians, and tell me you don't get 387, or "between 300 and 400." Unless you can tell me what motivation the site I used has to lie about dentists committing suicide, then you you did a piss poor job of discrediting the stat, especially when it matches yours.

Just a reminder, you said earlier that dentists, not all doctors, just dentists had the highest suicide rate. I'd rather have a doctor who gets high than abuses prescription medicine and painkillers.

And you're an idiot if you took away from my post that I said pot doesn't affect people. All I said was that it doesn't last 10 hours. Quote me where I said it doesn't affect people at all, otherwise STFU and cut that bull**** out. You again have no clue what you are talking about if you think someone who stopped getting high at 11 PM, who has to have done it quite a bit to be able to even take 15 hits, is still under that influence 10 hours later. That's what I said, so please argue that point, don't just make one up, that's pathetic, almost as much so as you trying to talk about something which you really have no clue about.

Never done drugs, don't care to.

However, if we can get as ****faced as we want Friday night and still be ok to go to work on Monday, then I have no problem with some drugs being legalized. Obviously I would want them taxes to all hell (because our govt is great at spending our money wisely) and I would want employhers to have zero tolerance, but I really could care less if some drugs were legalized.

Of course, some extremists will argue you will have doctors and lawyers and actors up all night smoking and snorting and poking all night before abig show/case/surgery, but luckily as other have pointed out those same people are forbidden from ever over drinking. and like Hubbs said so eloquently, employers definitely have no way to punish employees who make an ass of themselves.

lmao!

---------- Post added June-16th-2011 at 10:08 PM ----------

, almost as much so as you trying to talk about something which you really have no clue about.

This entire post is ridiculous. And what makes you think I personally have no idea about the effects of pot smoking? What makes you think I haven't smoked pot a hundred times, or that I don't have pot in my house right now? You have no idea if I do or not.

That doesn't mean it should be legal. We have enough stupid people in this country as it is. We don't need them stupid AND high too.

And you're an idiot if you took away from my post that I said pot doesn't affect people. All I said was that it doesn't last 10 hours. Quote me where I said it doesn't affect people at all, otherwise STFU and cut that bull**** out. You again have no clue what you are talking about if you think someone who stopped getting high at 11 PM, who has to have done it quite a bit to be able to even take 15 hits, is still under that influence 10 hours later. That's what I said, so please argue that point, don't just make one up, that's pathetic, almost as much so as you trying to talk about something which you really have no clue about.

I can answer for McD on this one. We all know that Cornell has the highest suicide rate of any college in the country. If that's not enough evidence to conclusively demonstrate that pot takes two and a half days to wear off, then you're just a hippie making up "facts" for your own convenience.

What makes you think I haven't smoked pot a hundred times, or that I don't have pot in my house right now?

Aside from the fact that you're not in jail, because everybody knows that a person who is in possession of pot must smoke all of it as soon as humanly possible and then drive or perform major surgery? I don't know. Is it easier to be a stock trader sober or high? Because I'll grant you that your answer might help explain what happened to our economy over the last half decade.

What would happen if you found out Dwight Howard was a habitual pot smoker

It wouldn't mean anything to me. Now if he "took just a few hits" like you can still drive after "just a few beers" and killed someone, I wouldn't be too happy.

This entire post is ridiculous. And what makes you think I personally have no idea about the effects of pot smoking? What makes you think I haven't smoked pot a hundred times, or that I don't have pot in my house right now? You have no idea if I do or not.

That doesn't mean it should be legal. We have enough stupid people in this country as it is. We don't need them stupid AND high too.

The entire post is "ridiculous" because you have no counter point to it. Again, you said dentists, then posted a stat about doctors in general, and although you laughed at my source, the stats matched that of your source. And I never said pot doesn't have an affect, just that it doesn't last 10 hours after stopping. You are such a coward to avoid it instead of just admitting you were wrong. Seriously, quote where I said pot has no effect at all, otherwise concede you were wrong and just trying to create a strawman.

The fact you think someone can still be stoned 10 hours later after stopping is evidence enough you have no clue about pot. The fact you are using ridiculous, hypothetical, worst-case scenarios only, and everyone else in this thread is laughing at you, is further evidence you have no clue what you're talking about.

You really are ridiculous, and living up to the title in your avatar of perpetual fail. There's a reason it's there, thanks for reminding me of what that was.

Taking bong hits tonight doesn't impact how someone feels, and performs in the morning? Incredible.

Go take 15 bong hits tonight, then wake up and try something mentally challenging tomorrow morning--like even taking an exam. That's absurd.

not worth it.

Wait. Waitwaitwait. Hold on a sec. Okay.

Clearly, Hubbs is joking around. But is McD5 being serious with these ridiculous posts about dentist suicides and Chewbacca living on Endor, etc.?

There's no way. It's all too ridiculous. But people are taking him seriously.

I was, in total honesty, prepared to believe that McD5's posts were pure surrealist satire -- a hilarious and utterly fictional two-step with Hubbs. But now it seems he's, uhh... serious?

Someone, PLEASE tell me McD5 is just trolling the thread. If not, then may this thread never leave the front page. Ever.

I do that all the time. I smoke everyday and for the past 2 years have maintained a 4.0 in every class I've taken, all while working 40 hours a week, and working out 4-6 days a week depending on my particular focus at the time.

careful, according to McD5 you're on the path of becoming a dentist and killing yourself, but not before removing someones brain because you got high the day before. It's a slippery slope my friend.

The entire post is "ridiculous" because you have no counter point to it. Again, you said dentists, then posted a stat about doctors in general, and although you laughed at my source, the stats matched that of your source. And I never said pot doesn't have an affect, just that it doesn't last 10 hours after stopping. You are such a coward to avoid it instead of just admitting you were wrong. Seriously, quote where I said pot has no effect at all, otherwise concede you were wrong and just trying to create a strawman.

The fact you think someone can still be stoned 10 hours later after stopping is evidence enough you have no clue about pot. The fact you are using ridiculous, hypothetical, worst-case scenarios only, and everyone else in this thread is laughing at you, is further evidence you have no clue what you're talking about.

You really are ridiculous, and living up to the title in your avatar of perpetual fail. There's a reason it's there, thanks for reminding me of what that was.

Dentists are Doctors. You said they were responsible people. They are over 6x more likely to commit suicide than you are. If you think suicide is responsible, then they are very responsible.

And if you think you can have a big night of drinking or of smoking pot, and not feel it the next day? Then you don't know how to party.. :)

It's you who has no idea about pot, or about how it can make your head foggy the next day.

---------- Post added June-16th-2011 at 10:52 PM ----------

not worth it.

Definitely not worth it to post something on the internet, that can risk a job sometime in the future. It's something a pothead would do:P

And I never said I hate pot, or have anything against pot. That's totally different than believing it should be legal.

Dear Mr. McD5,

We would like to congratulate youse on your most valuable contribution to this here thread, and would like to remind youse on this here occasion that not only have youse made a most persuasive case for keeping the marijuana illegal, but that every point youse have raised also applies equally to alchohol, if not more so, in addition to, where as.

So please forget that dark day in 1933 when the prohibition was repealed, and furthermore, why.

Thank youse truly,

The Mafia

P.S. Anxiously awaiting your stock market illuminations.

Yeah I mean it's worked so poorly in Portugal

What a failure

Lol

I know you're being sarcastic but you're right. The legalization of drugs in Portugal has been a resounding success. Legalization has actually decreased consumption. It's kinda like drinking before we were 21. Whenever something was going on we had to have booze. We spent a lot of time shoulder taping for it too. However, once we turned 21, (at-least in my group of friends) alcohol consumption wasn't that big of a deal as it once was. Once the "forbidden" aura is removed from it, it's not so inticing.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=portugal-drug-decriminalization

Archived