Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Why the Redskins should avoid Plaxico Burress at all costs.

themurf

plaxico060811.jpg

(photo by Carolyn Kaster)

Okay, seriously, enough with this Plaxico Burress nonsense.

Yes, the guy is finally out of prison after shooting himself in the leg and yes, he’s ready to return to football if the lockout ever ends, but his next paycheck isn’t coming from the Washington Redskins.

So if you’re one of the ‘Skins fans out there lobbying for the front office to roll the dice and bring in the nine-year pro, it’s best that you find a new hobby.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand why some folks out there have talked themselves into Burress being just what this offense needs. After all, we’re talking about an offense that finished 18th in yards and 25th in scoring last year.

And honestly, the Redskins receivers from a year ago weren’t exactly making people forget about the Fun Bunch or the Smurfs.

Things were so bad that receivers not named Santana Moss or Anthony Armstrong combined for just 25 catches, 339 yards and zero touchdowns. (You know it’s bad when Joey Galloway is the most productive person in the discussion.)

Although I firmly believe Moss will be back in Washington, there’s still a chance he ends up elsewhere next season. That thought alone should be enough to make the front office consider anyone and everyone out there.

But let me tell you why Burress won’t be playing in Washington – The Donovan McNabb Experiment.

Because the McNabb trade was such a colossal flop (not to mention the failures of other aging veterans such as Larry Johnson and Willie Parker), the Redskins finally seem ready to embrace a youth movement.

That’s why they were happy to trade back on draft day and acquire extra picks. That’s why they walked away with 11 new players – including three receivers and seven offensive rookies overall.

The Redskins brain trust finally seems ready and able to embrace what the rest of the NFL has always known – building through the draft is the best way to enjoy sustained excellence.

If you skimp on the draft and focus all of your efforts on free agency and trades, you end up with a top-heavy roster of aging vets with no depth. But if you dedicate your time, energy and resources into the drafting process, you’re much more likely to end up with a balanced roster that can actually survive when a starter or two gets injured.

That’s why there is so much excitement around rookie wide out Leonard Hankerson. He’s a guy with an impressive resume from a school known for churning out stud receivers.

If half of Hankerson’s skill set translates to the NFL level, the Redskins will have their best homegrown receiver in more than a decade. And think about the money allotted to a third-round pick, as opposed to breaking the bank on a free agent.

He’ll cost a fraction of the price, which allows the team to spend more money on some of the other glaring needs (can you say offensive line?)

And I’d be remiss if I didn’t bring up the elephant in the room in this discussion – the fact that Plaxico is a high-maintenance drama queen.

Click here for the full article.

The same reason Burress shouldn't be on the team is the same reasons why Young shouldn't be on the team.

Too short of an offseason. Not worth the hassle. We need to be in rebuild mode. And they're both drama queens.

The same reason Burress shouldn't be on the team is the same reasons why Young shouldn't be on the team.

Too short of an offseason. Not worth the hassle. We need to be in rebuild mode. And they're both drama queens.

Yep. I said the same thing, although I dedicated about 900 words more to the subject. The quote I used at the end of this column says everything you need to know about Burress.

I'm not even sure why there is any debate on this topic.

I'm not even sure why there is any debate on this topic.

Thank guys like John Clayton, who just yesterday said the Redskins are one of the top two teams most likely to sign Burress. With talking heads like that putting it out there, it's no wonder why some 'Skins fans are willing to jump on board with it. It's why I rarely watch the Worldwide Leader anymore.

I listen to the Lavar and Dukes show for about five minutes a day. A good gauge of whether the Skins should sign someone is whether or not Chad Dukes wants them to. Since he wants Burress here we DEFINITELY should not sign him. Dukes wants disaster after disaster so that he'll have a fresh rant against the team on his stagnant show.

We would be shooting ourselves in the foot if we signed him. :evilg:

I couldn't agree more with the article. And as you said, for all the same reasons, VY should be avoided as well. And how I wish we'd never have signed Haynesworth.

Thank guys like John Clayton, who just yesterday said the Redskins are one of the top two teams most likely to sign Burress. With talking heads like that putting it out there, it's no wonder why some 'Skins fans are willing to jump on board with it. It's why I rarely watch the Worldwide Leader anymore.

If there is ever a big name free agent then the Redskins are always linked to them at some point. I really hope that we dont go out and make this happen because the real risk behind it is that we wouldnt be able to see what we had at WR with our young guys because they would be shoved down the depth chart for an old veteran just out of prison.

Great read as always Murf

...but, but...he is so TALL.........

great article and I agree

Hopefully Leonard Hankerson (or maybe even Malcolm ... nevermind) can be the big target the offense needs.

And for the opposing view point on signing Plaxico, here's why Rick Snider thinks the 'Skins should consider signing Burress.

Why do i always find myself agreeing with Murf..? :ols: ....But yeah man, I wouldn't touch Plax with 10 ft pole. Not just because he'll be 34 by the start of the season, or that he's nearly as much a headcase as Fat Al. But mostly because i truely believe that (assuming we re-sign Moss) we actually have enough talent @ WR, that we have no need to address the position in FA. What we need to focus on is C, RG, & RT on offense. At this point signing a FA WR would be an absolute waste of money and a roster spot. :2cents:

Hopefully Leonard Hankerson (or maybe even Malcolm ... nevermind) can be the big target the offense needs.

And for the opposing view point on signing Plaxico, here's why Rick Snider thinks the 'Skins should consider signing Burress.

I particularly liked this bit of hard hitting reporting from that article...."...he has to be better than Joey Galloway..." :ols:

This team should only consider signing one free agent wide receiver and that's Santana Moss.

In re-signing Moss, the Redskins will get leadership, production, and value (should come relatively cheap).

With Burress, your best case scenario is he'd give you just one of those things, and it ain't leadership or value.

Meh I don't want Plexico, think we can do without him. I don't think he's as bad as some make him out to be but a rebuilding team doesn't bring in a player like this. Its bad business

---------- Post added June-8th-2011 at 11:27 AM ----------

This team should only consider signing one free agent wide receiver and that's Santana Moss.

Quoted because this is exactly how I feel. I don't get the feelings that that Moss gets from some here. In this offense in his first year dude was like 4th in the league for catches. That's awesome. Why can't people forget 2006 and instead realize that we found something that worked last year and should keep that going. Moss with another 3 years of production on this team deserves to be in the ring of fame, championship or not imo. He is that good and has been that good for us. Re-signing Moss would be something that I must do if I were in charge

The biggest reason to be wary is that he hasn't ran a route since poppin himself in the leg...he could be damaged goods.

According to reports, he was running routes in prison. That said, no one outside of the prison has seen him run a route, so your point stands :)

You do realize, though, this response is really why John Clayton said what he said?

I understand why people would want him.

He's a big WR, with proven hands/ability.

Unfortunately, this team is not in a position to bring in anyone who could have off the field problems, or be an issue in the locker room. You don't have to have some weird trust in my opinion to realize that, just look at who they drafted this year. Every single one of them had a check in the 'high character/work ethic' column. There's a reason for that.

You take those players in when you have solid foundation to support the guy, both in terms of coaches and players. This team doesn't have that. It wouldn't be a good fit. Plax will probably go on to be a super star somewhere else. I'm sure people here will use that as ammo against those of us against the idea of bringing him in, saying we're dumb (or whatever you want). But i don't know how a sane rational person could think it's a good idea to bring ina guy with questionable character right now.

That being said, if they feel like they can handle him and bring him in, then I'm ok with it. Everyone deserves a second chance (in my opinion).

He could be a shot in the arm, especially since I think we all deep down know that young receivers take a few years to get the NFL game and playbook sorted out. The opposition would know that rex-n-becks will be gunning for him, if our corp is that thin. So he may have a hard time here. Shoot, what do I know, I am just some low life comedian.

The jury is out on if he could help us. It comes down to the kids, and does Dan want to win now.

Archived