Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's Your Thought On Parents Who Throw Parties For Older Kids?

DM72

This, I will not have a problem providing beer and a safe environment as long as I know their parents and their parents understand and don't have a problem with the kids drinking a few beers and acting silly.

Why would you want to serve kids alchohol? And why would you risk being arrested just to serve kids alchohol?

I'm sure there's a lot of parents that thought they had everything under control until they saw the video of their kids getting wasted drinking directly from the keg or throwing up.

I'm sure there are a lot of parents that allowed no drinking that had kids end up in rehab or your videos.

If you allow kids to drink in your home, IT WILL NOT stop there. Allowing underaged kids to drink is a recipe for disaster.

Again, you act like 21 is some magical age where if you drink under it, you automatically get into trouble. It's 18 in Quebec, 19 in Ontario. So where's the science? Do you really think every kid who drinks under 21 ends up in the hospital or the morgue? That happens to people well over 21.

---------- Post added May-26th-2011 at 10:05 PM ----------

Teach them self control and they will not need it.

Thanks you twa! Teach your kids to drink responsibly. You cannot be there 24/7.

Will I ever throw drunken parties for my kids??? No.

Will I let my kids have a beer or two with me during a football game or a bbq when they are responsible enough for it? Yes, as with any other kids that their parents provide me with permission to allow a beer or two.

Now, no way will I allow them to invite 15 of their friends over for a keg party before they are 21.

Why would you want to serve kids alchohol? And why would you risk being arrested just to serve kids alchohol?

Because I'm not naive, kids will get their hands on booze, weed and worse regardless of whether I give it to them or not. I would rather have their keys and them barfing in my basement instead of barfing in the back seat of some drunk kids car. If you've never been there, you will never understand.

Let's put it this way, I think it will sum up how I feel about this:

The parent(s) that serve alcohol to underage kids at a party that my daughter is attending best hope to whatever holy deity they believe in

that law enforcement gets to them before I do.

I'm not naive, I'm not living under a rock, I know that kids drink, I also know that an adult encouraging this activity is just begging for an ass whoopin'

and since I'm such a nice guy I'll give them what they so desperately are asking for.

Now a nice party with soda and snacks, some loud music and dancing.... I'm all for it. As a matter of fact, I've been known to host a few parties at my house.

Because I'm not naive, kids will get their hands on booze, weed and worse regardless of whether I give it to them or not. I would rather have their keys and them barfing in my basement instead of barfing in the back seat of some drunk kids car. If you've never been there, you will never understand.

Or you could teach your kids that they don't have to drink until they barf...

Or you could teach your kids that they don't have to drink until they barf...

You can do that while allowing them to drink.

Teaching them they do not need to drink to have fun is preferable,as is teaching them to think for themselves

17-20 ? I am sorry, but they should be acting and have the responsibilities of young adults.

You seem like the bad guy in Footloose.

Not condoning or providing alcohol is perfectly fine. Hell, I went to cook outs and pool parties all the time that didn't have alcohol. When I was a teen and went to a party that had beer, I would grab a can or bottle and nurse that one beer for the short time I was typically there.

If we stayed at a hotel, or someone's house I may have had two beers. I liked to be very aware of my behavior when I am in someone elses home or out in public.

Conversely, a friend of mine never drank until she went to college, straight A kid and all that jazz. She ended up with alcohol poisoning by second semester and her grades dropped drastically.

What my parents tought me was this. It is the law that we cannot drink until 21. It may be an arbitrary law, or a law that has changed, or one that is rarely enforced, but it is still the law. We don't get to pick and choose which law we obey. I stand by those rules. (And no, I don't speed).

When we hosted parties, we all had a great time, but there wasn't any booze.

I absolutely don't buy the argument that "if they don't start drinking in high school, they are going to have more problems in college." I didn't drink in high school, got through college just fine, and never have had any trouble with alcohol. Epidemiological studies clearly show that the earlier a person starts drinking, the more likely they are to eventually be alcoholic. There will of course be exceptions, but anecdotes do not equal data. I think that if kids are taught in high school that socializing = alcohol, then that behavior will likely continue. If they are taught to find fun and friends in other ways, that will continue.

I really hope that when my kids get to be teenagers they aren't tempted by those parties and the drinking/etc that goes on there. There are plenty of happy kids who don't do that, and I hope my kids are among them.

Let's put it this way, I think it will sum up how I feel about this:

The parent(s) that serve alcohol to underage kids at a party that my daughter is attending best hope to whatever holy deity they believe in

that law enforcement gets to them before I do.

I'm not naive, I'm not living under a rock, I know that kids drink, I also know that an adult encouraging this activity is just begging for an ass whoopin'

and since I'm such a nice guy I'll give them what they so desperately are asking for.

Now a nice party with soda and snacks, some loud music and dancing.... I'm all for it. As a matter of fact, I've been known to host a few parties at my house.

I don't want to sound rude, but your kid wouldn't be invited to my house because we didn't have the mutual understanding and agreement that allows our kids to drink. I don't think anyone in here is saying "I can't wait until my kid is old enough so I can pull some tubes and beer bong with them". As a matter of fact, I'm with the majority and hope my kids prefer going to the soda only parties. Realistically at some point they're going to attend a party and have their first couple sips of mad dog, vodka or beer and it's going to knock them on their ass, my preference would be, they understand there is no need to hide it from me or my wife.

What you have to ask yourself, is would you rather the kids be drinking somewhere with (hopefully) responsible adults who will not let them drive home, or completely unregulated?

:ols:

"You know, Zach, since your cool mom and dad let us get drunk at your house, I just don't feel the urge to get drunk without parental supervision anymore!"

:ols:

"You know, Zach, since your cool mom and dad let us get drunk at your house, I just don't feel the urge to get drunk without parental supervision anymore!"

Or, "you know Zak, Tyrone is smashed and Johnny didn't take his keys away, let's call your parents since they don't get mad at us for drinking and see if they will come and pick us up".

I'd be somewhat OK with it under a few conditions.

1. All the parents of the kids that arent mine are both consulted and invited should they wish to attend along with their kids.

2. If you drink even one alcoholic beverage, I get your keys and you pick out a pillow and blanket and a nice warm spot on the couch or floor. No exceptions

3. The first instance of slurred speech and/or wobbly walking, you are done. Night night kiddo.

I grew up in a household where we were always allowed an alcoholic beverage occasionally. Enough so, that it never was a big deal to go out and drink with friends. They took the allure away and used common sense instead.

Or, "you know Zak, Tyrone is smashed and Johnny didn't take his keys away, let's call your parents since they don't get mad at us for drinking and see if they will come and pick us up".

"Fair and reasonable" parents always trump "cool" parents. When the **** hit the fan, my parents got called every time.

lol, uh sike, no matter how 'cool' the parents of any of my friends were we never called them ever. i'm not sure what alternate reality this would work in, but it's not this one. you really think drunk kids are going to think that rationally? how long has it been since you were in hs? i can remember countless times where this would have been a great idea NOW, but THEN i was still a hs kid trying to fly under the radar. i would have hid in the woods until morning or maybe even let Tyrone drive us home rather than call ANY parents, that is the way kids work. i would love for my kid to call me if they got into a mess like that, but i wouldn't hold my breath if i were you.

The thing with alcohol and all drugs is that you never know how you will take to it. This is most obvious with marajuana. All of us know someone that smokes weed that is otherwise completely normal. I think most of us also know the "pot head" that took to weed like it was a new religion, you might not have stayed friends with this one. Alcohol can be the same way. Some people will drink on occasion and they're good... others will like it a bit too much and need to drink to have a good time which can lead to reckless risky behavior. We've all seen Popeye at the club too, the guy that gets a few cans of courage in him and suddenly he's ready to fight everyone. The thing people need to understand is that a "problem" is not an "addiction". Those are two entirely different things. Having a "problem" is when you + substance X = trouble. If you get into fights, drive, or engage in behavior that leaves you feeling ashamed of yourself you have a problem. Most of our society thinks that so long as your not an addict everything is good and that simply isn't the case.

Just don't be this guy:

you-got-drunk-8.jpg?w=500&h=375

I'm sure there's a lot of parents that thought they had everything under control until they saw the video of their kids getting wasted drinking directly from the keg or throwing up.

do you think there is ANY correlation between "drank a glass of wine at home with parrents" and "has picture on facebook doing upside down beer bong"?

From my own experience, ALL of the kids I knew that had parents facilitating or outright engaging in the use of alcohol, drugs or both had severe problems in the future. One of the best things a parent can do is outline the consequences that could come as a result from their kids actions. I don't think the 'cool' parent approach is sensible in the slightest. Arm your kids with information and reality. Ultimately they're going to have to choose for themselves and live with it.

Archived