Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's Your Thought On Parents Who Throw Parties For Older Kids?

DM72

do you think there is ANY correlation between "drank a glass of wine at home with parrents" and "has picture on facebook doing upside down beer bong"?

If there was wouldn't every Italian have a kegstand pic on facebook?

yup, its more complex than all that.

the french and italians drink with their kids ... and late teenagers drink (relatively) more sensibly

the english drink with their kids..... and their late teenagers are raging alcholics

the americans ostensibly treat alchohol as poison for kids.... and their late teenagers are raging alcholics

I liked finland, personally. Lots and lots of people of all ages drank during the summer solstice festivals. (and at other times). but if you drank ANYTHING and operated a car you were busted hard to the wall. Jailed. Publically humiliated (it was directly reported in the paper... and people REALLY looked down on that behavior). and fined on a sliding scale based on your income/assets (a nokia bigwig was notoriously fined in the 6-figures for drunk driving, because it wouldn't "bite" otherwise).

From my own experience, ALL of the kids I knew that had parents facilitating or outright engaging in the use of alcohol, drugs or both had severe problems in the future. One of the best things a parent can do is outline the consequences that could come as a result from their kids actions. I don't think the 'cool' parent approach is sensible in the slightest. Arm your kids with information and reality. Ultimately they're going to have to choose for themselves and live with it.

Hmm, looking back at the kids whose parents let them drink in my neck of the woods, I would say the complete opposite. When these kids were at parties, they seemed to be the ones that could carry on a conversation instead of being "that guy". It makes sense if you think about Europeans and how they don't act like drunken fools everytime they get their hands on alcohol.

Hmm, looking back at the kids whose parents let them drink in my neck of the woods, I would say the complete opposite. When these kids were at parties, they seemed to be the ones that could carry on a conversation instead of being "that guy". It makes sense if you think about Europeans and how they don't act like drunken fools everytime they get their hands on alcohol.

lol, what? they have folks over there who are no different than over here. either way, i don't think this is a "if you do it this way, this is how they will turn out" scenario, really it's a case by case basis.

It is a case by case basis, the majority of the kids I grew up with that were allowed to drink seemed to act more responsibly when at a party where adults were not around. Granted there were a few kids that were "that guy" however I would say the majority were not.

lol, what? they have folks over there who are no different than over here. either way, i don't think this is a "if you do it this way, this is how they will turn out" scenario, really it's a case by case basis.

Archived