Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3

JMac

User reviews not so positive on Metacritic... in fact they are downright horrible

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3

Good to know I'm not alone.

I've sat here and reread my review posts in this thread a few times, and was wondering if I was going overboard with my trashing of the game. But it looks as though a lot of Gamerland agrees.

I guess it's not fair to say the game "sucks," because I actually liked MW2. So I guess some of the blame is on me, for drinking th kool-aid about how MW3 would be so different and innovative. I never played the first installment of Modern Warfare, so I didn't get it when people said MW2 was a repackaged MW1.

Well, there's no arguing that MW3 is definitely MW2 but with new maps and a few new killstreaks. I'm sure I'll warm up to it and play it some, but MW3 will definitely take a backseat to Battlefield..

Soooo.... I shouldn't buy MW3 after work/gym tonight? I got about 6 or 7 games to trade in that should get me MW3 for free...

Do me a favor though, don't answer me based on expectations for the game. Answer me on the actual game. Is it worth purchasing, or shoudl I hold off? Should I get BF3 instead? I didn't like BF2. It's too slow paced for me. I like the non-stop ADD action. BF2 requires patience, and while I respect that and think its cool, my undiagnosed ADD gets the best of me and I try to run around like a moron and get owned, and then frustrated.

Soooo.... I shouldn't buy MW3 after work/gym tonight? I got about 6 or 7 games to trade in that should get me MW3 for free...

Do me a favor though, don't answer me based on expectations for the game. Answer me on the actual game. Is it worth purchasing, or shoudl I hold off? Should I get BF3 instead? I didn't like BF2. It's too slow paced for me. I like the non-stop ADD action. BF2 requires patience, and while I respect that and think its cool, my undiagnosed ADD gets the best of me and I try to run around like a moron and get owned, and then frustrated.

From what my friends have said from playing all night you can't run and gun in MW3. That's gonna frustrate some of my friends.

Good to know I'm not alone.

I've sat here and reread my review posts in this thread a few times, and was wondering if I was going overboard with my trashing of the game. But it looks as though a lot of Gamerland agrees.

I guess it's not fair to say the game "sucks," because I actually liked MW2. So I guess some of the blame is on me, for drinking th kool-aid about how MW3 would be so different and innovative. I never played the first installment of Modern Warfare, so I didn't get it when people said MW2 was a repackaged MW1.

Well, there's no arguing that MW3 is definitely MW2 but with new maps and a few new killstreaks. I'm sure I'll warm up to it and play it some, but MW3 will definitely take a backseat to Battlefield..

I'd bet the reviews will even out over time. Right now the hardcore fans are disappointed that MW3 isn't a huge leap forward, but really none of the games since COD4 have been.

I think we're finally seeing that COD is getting a bit stale, and coupled with BF3 offering a totally different experience, people are just frustrated with MW3 being the same old, same old. That said I'm sure it will still sell well, probably more than BF3. But I think BF3 has narrowed the gap considerably this year and it's time for COD to shake things up going forward.

don't think so.

as i signed up and registered for all the Elite stuff last night, they kept pounding home the features....and it mentioned how all your stats from BLOPS would be available as well. That makes me think folks without Elite won't get those stats :(

So what is up with the COD Elite. How much does it cost and is it worth me getting if I only play COD for like four hours a month?

From what my friends have said from playing all night you can't run and gun in MW3. That's gonna frustrate some of my friends.

I'm okay with a bit of strategy... But just hanging in the weeds and waiting for what feels like hours enfuriates me. :ols:

this special ops stuff is sick!

yeah, I've been reading good things about spec ops. Definitely looking forward to that.

---------- Post added November-8th-2011 at 08:05 AM ----------

Do me a favor though, don't answer me based on expectations for the game. Answer me on the actual game. Is it worth purchasing, or shoudl I hold off? Should I get BF3 instead? I didn't like BF2. It's too slow paced for me. .

If you liked MW2, you'll like MW3. pretty much the exact same feel.

I also hated Batttlefield 2. I COULDN'T ****ING STAND IT! But Battlefield 3 is the best first person shooter i've ever played in my life. it DESTROYS every call of duty i've ever played. :)

If you liked MW2, you'll like MW3. pretty much the exact same feel.

I also hated Batttlefield 2. I COULDN'T ****ING STAND IT! But Battlefield 3 is the best first person shooter i've ever played in my life. it DESTROYS every call of duty i've ever played. :)

You're not helping me with my decision.

So what is up with the COD Elite. How much does it cost and is it worth me getting if I only play COD for like four hours a month?

if you only play a few hours a month, HELL NO it's not worth it LOL.

Elite will get you every DLC for free, as well as give you a lot of "premium" features, like in depth stat tracking and allow you to edit/create a buttload of videos. But if you're putting in hours a month, it definitely ain't worth your money.

Wow so MW3 is just MW2 with new maps? I liked MW2 don't get me wrong but thats pretty lame to spent 60 bucks on the same game.

Uh ... yea dude. They've been doing this for a while.

MW2 was just MW with new maps. Black Ops was MW2 with new maps and different guns.

They're going to do this for a while because, let's face it, they make a ton of money.

Wow so MW3 is just MW2 with new maps? I liked MW2 don't get me wrong but thats pretty lame to spent 60 bucks on the same game.

no exaggeration or opinion included, YES. MW3 is 90% MW2...only the different weapons and the new killstreak system keep it from being a 100% repackaged MW2. So again, if people liked MW2, they will like MW3.

From what I understand, the engine used for MW3 is the same one they used on 2007 for the original MW. I'm not a very smart guy, but are there any other major gaming series that use the same engine from 5 years ago?

Okay. I hate when people say something is "awful" because it's similar.

Is the game actually awful or is it just so similar that people are disappointed?

According to gameinformer (which gave it a 9), its just more of the same. Same guns, and what not. Like other have said, MP feels like a big map pack. But i also read the single player is pretty good. I doubt it's an awful game. But i guess if people we expecting to be blown away like some where when the picked up BF3 well thats their own fault if u ask me. Every COD game IMO has been the same. Maybe a few new guns/maps but pretty much the same.

re i am not looking forward to knife-lunging fests.

dude...i was playing at 12:45 AM, just 45 minutes after release, so i'm sure nobody had unlocked marathon/lightweight pro yet.

But there were already dudes running around at warp speed with knives just cutting everybody. Typical MW2 style, i had a striker shotgun and unloaded 3 (THREE!) slugs into this dude, got 3 hitmarkers and he knifes me. It's funny because comapred to MW2, black ops didn't make me RAGE that much. But just 30 minutes logged online and I was ready to throw my headset a few times already. :ols:

Uh ... yea dude. They've been doing this for a while.

MW2 was just MW with new maps. Black Ops was MW2 with new maps and different guns.

They're going to do this for a while because, let's face it, they make a ton of money.

I didn't see much connection between black ops and MW2. I quite despised Black ops because lame features they added like random ass spawning and destroying sniping in the game.

if you only play a few hours a month, HELL NO it's not worth it LOL.

Elite will get you every DLC for free, as well as give you a lot of "premium" features, like in depth stat tracking and allow you to edit/create a buttload of videos. But if you're putting in hours a month, it definitely ain't worth your money.

So how much is the Elite. If they put out two or three maps and the Elite is only $20 then I would probably get it if the maps are free.

So how much is the Elite. If they put out two or three maps and the Elite is only $20 then I would probably get it if the maps are free.

Elite is $50. The map packs through the year will probably total $60 to $70. The membership only last for a year.

I've been going through some of the other forums I'm on and the COD fanboys seem to love it. I'm having a great time with BF3 and I know BF3 will be the better game overall. The only thing don't like about BF3 is the social aspect so far. I've yet to find a good group of guys to run with that are on consistently. Playing alone in that game sucks. Playing alone in MW sucks as well but I have several established groups of people to play with in that game. I think I will rent it this afternoon.

Archived