Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hankersons been at it for 2 years with Mark Duper

redskinsbaby123

I wouldn't mind seeing Kelly out there training with him. This is Kelly's make or break year. A sprain, turf toe, hamstring pull, or knee swell and he's a roster cut. It's either breakout year or bust with him.

The Hankerson Drills are very very impressive . What is really impressive is just how business this guy is -

In fact I like all the WR we picked - Great character guys - I was reading earlier today how much Paul loves to get out there and hit some one - a real rarety a WR who loves to run block ...

In fact I like all the WR we picked - Great character guys - I was reading earlier today how much Paul loves to get out there and hit some one - a real rarety a WR who loves to run block ...

If Paul can be 3/4 the receiver Hines Ward is (another WR that loves to hit/block), we have a good football player on the roster - maybe a steal.

I wouldn't mind seeing Kelly out there training with him. This is Kelly's make or break year. A sprain, turf toe, hamstring pull, or knee swell and he's a roster cut. It's either breakout year or bust with him.

I wouldn't mind seeing Kelly do ANYTHING. I have no hope left for that guy. Don't get me wrong, he COULD come out and be really good this year, but we've been saying that for a long time now.

People that were complaining about his "diva" personality in the other Hankerson thread should come on over to this one.

Not like that had any merit to begin with....if you listened to the interview. I like what I've seen from Hank, he's the anti Devin Thomas, by all accounts.

We've all seen how slowly WRs develop on this team, though. I'm not going to get too optimistic. Gotta love the influence someone like Mark Duper will have on him, on the other hand. Nice thread.

On a side note, I thought he slid in the draft because he was slow getting off the line, despite a nice 40 time. It wasn't because of his hands IIRC. Still a steal in the 3rd round, don't get me wrong.

We've all seen how slowly WRs develop on this team, though. I'm not going to get too optimistic.

Although, we've got a new WR coach now.

Stan Hixon was long hated on these boards for the lack of progress our young WR's made. Then Keenan McCardell comes in, and in his first year inexperienced guys like Armstrong, Banks, and Austin all get on the field, with Armstrong particularly making a huge impact in the receiving game.

So maybe that's changed.

Although, we've got a new WR coach now.

Stan Hixon was long hated on these boards for the lack of progress our young WR's made. Then Keenan McCardell comes in, and in his first year inexperienced guys like Armstrong, Banks, and Austin all get on the field, with Armstrong particularly making a huge impact in the receiving game.

So maybe that's changed.

Good point. I like McCardell, but its likely as much an issue of the work ethic/durability of the WRs being developed as it is the WR coach. I didn't see Keenan turn Devin Thomas or Malcolm Kelly around after all.

Hopefully Hankerson is different, he sure looks to be. You can understand my concerns about rookie WRs being expected to get on the field right away, I'm sure.

It took Armstrong half the season to get past Joey Galloway on the depth chart. This is Shanny we're talking about lol

Good point. I like McCardell, but its likely as much an issue of the work ethic/durability of the WRs being developed as it is the WR coach. I didn't see Keenan turn Devin Thomas or Malcolm Kelly around after all.

Hopefully Hankerson is different, he sure looks to be. You can understand my concerns about rookie WRs being expected to get on the field right away, I'm sure.

It took Armstrong half the season to get past Joey Galloway on the depth chart. This is Shanny we're talking about lol

That's all very true. But at least we know that when one of these rookie WR's works their way onto the field, it will be because they're ready, prepared, and have earned it, and not just because it looks better for the FO to play their draft picks.

We've all seen how slowly WRs develop on this team, though.

The only time we actually developed a WR relative successfully and slowly was Westbrook although he never lived up to his draft status. Armstrong is the last one we did anything with but he's been around pro-football for a while (and even if he never gets better than he is, he has lived beyond his draft status, if you know what I mean). Moss came to us pretty much developed. All the others we've brought in never really amounted to anything. Thomas regressed last season and ended up being waived. Kelly, while he's shown flashes, has yet to amount to anything worth more than a late pick. Gardner looked good at times in his first few seasons but after his second, we were still looking for a number 1. He actually regressed big time when he left and never played after that. Before Westbrook, Clark, Sanders and Monk all developed quickly having good rookie years and great careers. Even Brown had a good though brief run. Going back farther, Grant was never really a star but he did play beyond his draft status while Taylor was all-pro as a rookie (albiet as a HB). I'd say our history indicates that our guy will be good relatively quickly or he'll never live up to expectations.

That's all very true. But at least we know that when one of these rookie WR's works their way onto the field, it will be because they're ready, prepared, and have earned it, and not just because it looks better for the FO to play their draft picks.

Fair enough. It'd be nice if it wasn't one extreme or the other, though. Playing time shouldn't be based purely on draft status, nor experience. Coaches are normally pretty rigid about these things. Ah well, bigger problems than this to deal with.

And Darth Potato, nice post. This history is what keeps my expectations grounded, although its very sad.

To be fair, Malcolm Kelly was on the IR so he couldn't have done anything.

Devin Thomas just didn't want it. You can have the best teacher in the world, but it's not going to work if you don't want it. The players who did want to learn (Armstrong, Banks, and Austin) obviously benefited greatly from McCardell's superior teachings.

Drops - He has a reputation for dropping the ball a lot - which is why you will see all these films of him catching the two baseballs etc and the knock on him is he has only just started playing to his potential - HE was widly regarded as possibly the third best WR in the draft or posibly outside the top ten

He also had a ho hum pro day - but interestingly our scouts didn't seem to turn up to that showing ....

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=70228&draftyear=2011&genpos=WR

Archived