Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Beck stepping up into starter's role

Hitman21ST

If Dallas was coming into the season with Grossman & Beck as their QBs we all would be laughing and making fun of them.

I have no clue if Beck is capable of being a backup QB, let alone a starter. But your line of reasoning above is idiotic at best. Who cares of a group of ignorant fans would be laughing or making fun of a player? Far more often than not, an organization and its scouts have a much better handle on the talent it has. We don't know much compared to them.

I think back to our 3 relatively successful seasons since our glory years (1999, 2005, and 2007) and they all pretty much came out of nowhere on an individual basis. The most successful of the 3 (1999) was truly unexpected from a fan perspective:

1) We were coming off of a 6-10 season which we started 0-7

2) We lost the QB that led our feel-good second half of the season (Trent Green)

3) We had a nobody at RB

4) We had two perennial underachieving WRs and an untested QB

So what happened? We led the league in offense for a good part of the season, our WRs tore it up, and we found a stud RB. We won the East and hosted a playoff game.

In short, I don't have any reason to believe that Beck is going to turn into Kurt Warner (another nobody, by the way), but it's useless to sit here and say that we should assume the worst just because we don't know what his talents are. Haven't we "sat here and mocked" our divisional rivals for 10 years because they started guys like Tony Romo sits to pee while they consistently had the last laugh by finishing above us in the standings?

Beck is stepping up very nicely during the lockout though, I'm impressed. Not sure if he's the answer at QB, but he demonstrates good leadership from what I see and read. He even hired a camera guy to record the player led minicamps so players can evaluate themselves, that's good stuff

This is news to me. Very interesting tidbit there.

That might go a long way toward explaining this:

U8gN8yRA20w

awesome video. i know a lot of peple don't like the 'hey, you suck' chant but i love it (when it's appropriate), and it came through perfectly at the start of that video

I have no clue if Beck is capable of being a backup QB, let alone a starter. But your line of reasoning above is idiotic at best. Who cares of a group of ignorant fans would be laughing The or making fun of a player? Far more often than not, an organization and its scouts have a much better handle on the talent it has. We don't know much compared to them.

I think back to our 3 relatively successful seasons since our glory years (1999, 2005, and 2007) and they all pretty much came out of nowhere on an individual basis. The most successful of the 3 (1999) was truly unexpected from a fan perspective:

1) We were coming off of a 6-10 season which we started 0-7

2) We lost the QB that led our feel-good second half of the season (Trent Green)

3) We had a nobody at RB

4) We had two perennial underachieving WRs and an untested QB

So what happened? We led the league in offense for a good part of the season, our WRs tore it up, and we found a stud RB. We won the East and hosted a playoff game.

In short, I don't have any reason to believe that Beck is going to turn into Kurt Warner (another nobody, by the way), but it's useless to sit here and say that we should assume the worst just because we don't know what his talents are. Haven't we "sat here and mocked" our divisional rivals for 10 years because they started guys like Tony Romo sits to pee while they consistently had the last laugh by finishing above us in the standings?

Ok genius the point is that your just being a blind faith homer. Your a homer because you act like guys are good just because its ur fav team but if those same 2 guys were with Dallas you would be mocking them. Did i break it down simple enough for you guys.

Mighty funny that now "you can't judge a player who hasn't had a chance. But yet you all call Devin Thomas or a Marko Mitchell sorry bust but yet they weren't given a chance either. In fact in their brief time they got to play they showed more than Beck did.

Now do you understand how your being hypocrite homers? Ofcourse not I'm just being negative and a debbie downer lol. And ive been a fan since the 80's so theres no need to go thru the history of the team & the Trent Green story. I was actually one of the fans who wanted to keep Green. Maybe 99 was a shock to you but it wasn't to me & some of us already knew that Stephen Davis was good even when he was playing FB.

Did I ever say that Beck would suck because fans would mock him if he were on another team? No i didn't, I was talking to the homer fans who act like they know he will be good just because he's on our team & they hope he'll be good.

Like i said we all hope he works out but its not likely that he's the answer at QB. It's ok to be honest & admit that our current QB situation is laughable...it won't make you less of a fan.

i don't think many people (homers or not) are running around saying he will be good

i think they're saying they're happy he's taking the role he has this offseason with no coaches around and no sure fire starting qb on the roster. it has no direct translation to on the field success, and means nothing record wise. it's just nice to see.

i don't think many people (homers or not) are running around saying he will be good

i think they're saying they're happy he's taking the role he has this offseason with no coaches around and no sure fire starting qb on the roster. it has no direct translation to on the field success, and means nothing record wise. it's just nice to see.

To piggyback, people have as much right to say he will be good as they do to say he'll stink. They have no basis for what they are saying, it's purely conjecture.

Oh, and to those who are saying he'll stink, based off his play in Miami...

Steve Young stunk until he was picked up by San Fran.

Ok genius the point is that your just being a blind faith homer. Your a homer because you act like guys are good just because its ur fav team but if those same 2 guys were with Dallas you would be mocking them. Did i break it down simple enough for you guys.

I have never said anywhere that I believe Beck will be good. I've stated that no one has any idea what he can do. Do YOU understand that "genius"?

Mighty funny that now "you can't judge a player who hasn't had a chance. But yet you all call Devin Thomas or a Marko Mitchell sorry bust but yet they weren't given a chance either. In fact in their brief time they got to play they showed more than Beck did.

Devin Thomas was on the team for 2+ years and couldn't get on the field despite us having one of the weakest WR corps in the league. He was SO talented that immediately upon being released, a guy from the IFL (whatever the Hell that is) put up amazing numbers for a #2 WR...at least by Redskin standards. So, give it up that Thomas didn't get a chance. With Mitchell...he too was cut. To me, if you're not good enough to stay on the team, you got your chance. If the coaches keep Beck around, you have to assume there is a reason. Just to finish the tired Thomas/Mitchell line of thinking...please wake me up when either guy contributes at the NFL level.

Now do you understand how your being hypocrite homers? Ofcourse not I'm just being negative and a debbie downer lol. And ive been a fan since the 80's so theres no need to go thru the history of the team & the Trent Green story. I was actually one of the fans who wanted to keep Green. Maybe 99 was a shock to you but it wasn't to me & some of us already knew that Stephen Davis was good even when he was playing FB.

Most fans wanted to keep Green...that was part of my point. Once that didn't happen, it was considered a bad thing leading to lowered expectations going into 99. Any objective/logical fan was marginally surprised by the 99 team. Davis proved to be a decent pass-catching fullback in 98, but there was no way to know he'd even start at RB (Skip Hicks was supposed to) let alone become the franchise-leading rusher. I'm glad you knew though...sounds pretty realistic.

Did I ever say that Beck would suck because fans would mock him if he were on another team? No i didn't, I was talking to the homer fans who act like they know he will be good just because he's on our team & they hope he'll be good.

Like i said we all hope he works out but its not likely that he's the answer at QB. It's ok to be honest & admit that our current QB situation is laughable...it won't make you less of a fan.

No one has come in here saying that Beck will be good. Most people are saying it's ridiculous to dismiss him before he even suits up. And you played the "wouldn't we be mocking Dallas if..." card which is irrelevant to me. Who cares? Just because we mock another team doesn't mean we know what we're talking about. On the whole, NFL fans are idiots.

Your not as "Chill" as your username suggests. Like others have said we don't know if Beck will be good or not but right now he's an easy guy to root for my his actions. Is it too much to ask to give him a chance? Worst case scenario he sucks (like you predicted) we end up with a high pick and draft our future franchise QB. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Your not as "Chill" as your username suggests. Like others have said we don't know if Beck will be good or not but right now he's an easy guy to root for my his actions. Is it too much to ask to give him a chance? Worst case scenario he sucks (like you predicted) we end up with a high pick and draft our future franchise QB. Sounds like a win-win to me.

How dare you? ChillSkinz doesn't predict a thing. Didn't you read his post? He KNEW that the Skins would win the division in 1999 and KNEW that Stephen Davis would be a top-5 RB that year simply because he occasionally caught swing passes out of the backfield as our backup FB.

With that insight...I think we can pretty much close the book on Beck and the 2011 Redskins. So, next up...who do we draft next April?

I have never said anywhere that I believe Beck will be good. I've stated that no one has any idea what he can do. Do YOU understand that "genius"?

Devin Thomas was on the team for 2+ years and couldn't get on the field despite us having one of the weakest WR corps in the league. He was SO talented that immediately upon being released, a guy from the IFL (whatever the Hell that is) put up amazing numbers for a #2 WR...at least by Redskin standards. So, give it up that Thomas didn't get a chance. With Mitchell...he too was cut. To me, if you're not good enough to stay on the team, you got your chance. If the coaches keep Beck around, you have to assume there is a reason. Just to finish the tired Thomas/Mitchell line of thinking...please wake me up when either guy contributes at the NFL level.

Most fans wanted to keep Green...that was part of my point. Once that didn't happen, it was considered a bad thing leading to lowered expectations going into 99. Any objective/logical fan was marginally surprised by the 99 team. Davis proved to be a decent pass-catching fullback in 98, but there was no way to know he'd even start at RB (Skip Hicks was supposed to) let alone become the franchise-leading rusher. I'm glad you knew though...sounds pretty realistic.

No one has come in here saying that Beck will be good. Most people are saying it's ridiculous to dismiss him before he even suits up. And you played the "wouldn't we be mocking Dallas if..." card which is irrelevant to me. Who cares? Just because we mock another team doesn't mean we know what we're talking about. On the whole, NFL fans are idiots.

Once again a contradiction you say Devin couldn't get on the field because he wasn't good enough and was cut because he wasn't good enough. Well then can't the same be said for John Beck? Was he not released also? He couldn't get on the field either until injuries to others put him on the field. Is it that hard to understand the contradiction? Smh

Like I Said we had a Brad a johnson and a good stephen davis, just because you didn't think we had a chance to be good doesn't mean others didn't. If you watched Davis at Auburn and his opportunities to run in the NFL then you knew he had a chance to be good. Once again just because you can't project players and have to wait for results doesn't mean others can't.

And some are saying Beck will be good & if you rather have him over mcnabb or other vet quarterbacks then your implying that he would be the better qb. To me that is laughable.

So you rather have Mcnabb as the qb for Dallas over Beck? You fear Beck more?

And for the record I said from day one that if its a choice between Rex & Beck...i rather see what Beck can do.

If the plan is to go for Luck in the draft next year then I'm all for Beck being the guy. But if the goal is to win give me Mcnabb or another vet QB.

How dare you? ChillSkinz doesn't predict a thing. Didn't you read his post? He KNEW that the Skins would win the division in 1999 and KNEW that Stephen Davis would be a top-5 RB that year simply because he occasionally caught swing passes out of the backfield as our backup FB.

With that insight...I think we can pretty much close the book on Beck and the 2011 Redskins. So, next up...who do we draft next April?

My apologizes ChillSkinz I have insulted you. Please tell us who will be great next year. And the year after that! I must know now ... share your knowledge with us feeble minded Redskins fans!

It's not a contradiction to me because Thomas was released by THIS coaching staff while Beck was acquired by THIS coaching staff. I personally don't care why the Dolphins got rid of Beck or why Cerrato thought he struck gold with Thomas...that's irrelevant to whether those players can play for Shanahan.

Good for you...I didn't have high expectations for 1999 and most other objective fans didn't either. There was no logical reason to think we'd be great just based on the fact that our RB was good in college (so was Skip Hicks). Hell, if you recall, most of us weren't even sure BJ would make it through the year...he was quite injury prone in Minnesota. But I'll take you at your word, you called the division championship and I didn't.

I would rather have Beck or Grossman over McNabb simply due to age and relative value/cost. To me, the money it would cost for McNabb could be spread around to multiple positions while Beck or Grossman can give you adequate play at QB.

I agree with seeing Beck over Grossman unless he just seems completely overwhelmed. We already know Grossman can play marginally worse than McNabb for a fraction of the cost.

What if the plan is to win over the next 3-4 years? McNabb certainly isn't the answer but Beck potentially could be.

I've only been to one Redskins game ever, and that was the one I went to. The atmosphere was electric, and it's one of the best memories I've had in my short 19 years.

I attended that game also...it was by far the best FedEx game I've been to and maybe the best Redskin game I've ever seen (though the 1987 return of the regular player game vs. the Jets was fun).

I can't even imagine how electric the stadium must have been for the playoff game we hosted vs. Detroit!

I like what I've read of Beck, I just can't shake the feeling that they mostly want to lower Grossman's asking price. I think Grossman would be serious competition on a few teams (CLE, ARI, and SF and currently has a much better resume than Beck (more experience in the system too). I could see management wanting him back but not wanting to overpay.

Bottom line:

We are all just going crazy cuz we ought to be watching coverage of camp and seeing what the "big plan" is and instead, all we get are a bunch of armchair QB's thoughts on who shoulda, coulda and woulda been the man!

JUST PLAY THE GAME!

Archived