Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Beck stepping up into starter's role

Hitman21ST

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81fc3681/article/quarterback-beck-takes-redskins-offseason-leadership-role?module=HP_headlines

However, the one quarterback the Redskins have under contract, John Beck -- whom coach Mike Shanahan has said he "think(s) the world" of -- is taking on a leadership role by communicating with teammates and organizing workouts during the lockout, The Washington Post reported Tuesday, citing various Washington area television and radio reports.

"We have stuff going on," Beck said during an interview on 102.1 The Game. "We have plans in the future for another big giant group, full-team type deal, like we did last time -- and hopefully we get some more guys out -- but we have things.

I don't really care if he's going to be the starter Week 1, I like his attitude and what's he's aiming for. This can only produce good things.

Beck, who has not taken a regular-season snap since the 2007 season, also has taken a lead in reaching out to rookies, running back Evan Royster told NBC affiliate WRC.

"I talked to John Beck," Royster said. "He sent me some of the install stuff the first day. I mean, I'm just trying to get a grasp on the playbook a little bit now."

I've been intrigued with Beck ever since they signed him to an extension. Remember they signed him to an extension before McNabb and before Grossman (who still is not signed). I just thought it was an odd move at the time. I want to see what the guy can do. I had my reservations about Grossman and he outplayed my perception of him. He wonder how Beck can look in this offense with a year under his belt and some young skilled positions to work with. The O-line will be in their second year using the zone blocking scheme so they may be improved too. This will be a preseason to watch (if we have one, or even a season for that matter)

Beat me to it, Hitman. ;)

I have to admit that I am intrigued by John Beck as well. Shanahan knows QBs, and the fact that he's gone out of his way in an attempt to develop Beck shows that he has a lot of faith in him. I do wonder what a John Beck could do, after being tutored by one of the best offensive minds the game has seen.

I thought Beck looked terrible last year in the little opportunity he had but hearing that he is stepping up in a leadership role makes me take a slightly different view of him. Good stuff.

When he played in pre-season last year, he had been on the roster for days, literally.

That's awesome.

The thing that I'm interested in most about Beck is that after working with the guy for a year, Shanahan is still apparently very high on him. It's not as if he just scouted the guy or talked to his coaches or anything like that. He's WATCHED him practice for an entire season, so hopefully THIS evaluation of him is more accurate than what people go through trying to scout a QB they want to draft.

---------- Post added May-10th-2011 at 02:37 PM ----------

When he played in pre-season last year, he had been on the roster for days, literally.

Yup, I believe he'd had 2 days to prepare.

Still trying to grasp the concept of Beck actually competing for the starting spot. But, I can't help but to root for the guy. Hopefully his potential can match his attitude. :)

---------- Post added May-10th-2011 at 02:40 PM ----------

That's awesome.

The thing that I'm interested in most about Beck is that after working with the guy for a year, Shanahan is still apparently very high on him. It's not as if he just scouted the guy or talked to his coaches or anything like that. He's WATCHED him practice for an entire season, so hopefully THIS evaluation of him is more accurate than what people go through trying to scout a QB they want to draft.

yeah, i can't wait to see what he can do in TC and the PS. Its going to be very interesting.

Still trying to grasp the concept of Beck actually competing for the starting spot. But, I can't help but to root for the guy. Hopefully his potential can match his attitude. :).

I agree, I'm not saying he should start or anything, but Shanahan obviously should know better than anyone what this guy's made of, so who knows.

yeah, i can't wait to see what he can do in TC and the PS. Its going to be very interesting

It's worth remembering that Kyle Shanahan also rates Beck very highly. Both Shanahans are clearly now on the same page here. Maybe this is more about Kyle getting his guy.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/quarterbacks/newly-acquired-qb-beck-practic.html

Kyle Shanahan has raved about the signal caller since he came out of BYU and the Miami Dolphins selected him in the second round of the 2007 draft.

"He was just as good a quarterback as there was in the draft," Shanahan said of Beck, who was the fourth quarterback taken, behind JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, and Kevin Kolb. "He's a very pure, good passer. And he can also run around and make plays. He reminded me of Rich Gannon, with the way he played in college."

I really think Beck could possibly a pretty decent quarterback. He was highly rated coming out of the draft and has been riding the pine behind some pretty good QB's, so he could be ready to be a real leader and a quality QB. Im still skeptical because he hasnt done much, but Shanny must see something special in him.

It was actually 11 but obviously that's still a very short time. My impression of him was taking that into account. I just thought he looked extremely nervous in the pocket even in Game 4 of the preseason. Still a long way to go so I'm in no way saying he has no chance of being good, just that my first impressions weren't very good. For what's it's worth I didn't think much of Stan Humphries the first time I saw him either so that should give you a glimpse into my scouting abilities.

I am hoping that Beck can come off of the bench, ala Aaron Rogers, and prove to be a worthy starter.

That being said, we still potentially have 2 more slots for the qb position that needs to be filled.

If what the insiders say in regard to Grossman in orange and black next year, and McNabb either in Minn. or Miami,

then we have to have someone else.

Personally I would hope the team makes a trade for Clausen. Now I know there is alot of folks who just hate on him,

but he would give some competition to Beck.

And lets face it, there are not alot of strong candidates out there.

Not sure if this thread or the one about Casey Rabach being our starter next year makes me more happy to be a Skins fan right now.

:point2sky

This is a ridiculous statement, and the sarcasm is not lost on me.

We know what Rabach brings to the table....we know much less about John Beck.

How many games have each lost us in the last 3 years? Not even close.

This thread is as positive to me, as the Rabach thread is negative. But hey, to each their own.

Whats the chances we only carry 2 QB's in the regular season' date=' thought that was something Shanahan had a rep' for ?[/quote']

Definitely. And if the VY stuff is true, I can see this happening. Because both Beck and Young have a reputation for needing the most reps possible, for different reasons.

We'd still need at least one other camp arm though. Wouldn't be surprised to see an UDFA.

Archived