Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Beck stepping up into starter's role

Hitman21ST

Wins, titles and championships

Maybe, but I doubt it. They want to sell papers and subscriptions. People are more passionate about what's wrong than reading about sunshine and fairies. Doom and gloom sells papers.

"Bill Parcells had Beck in Miami and released him. Ozzie Newsome traded Beck from Baltimore to Washington for little. Joe Flacco is entrenched as the Ravens’ starter, and Beck was fourth string, but if Beck’s potential was so evident, wouldn’t Newsome have found a way to keep him?"

This is all I'm worried about!!!!

Bill and Ozzie... Two of the most PROVEN football minds in the business didn't think enough of Beck to keep him around. But we're supposed to trust Kyle Shanahan's judgement over theirs? But hey... its their team so they can go any route they want to. But as fans sometimes you just gotta call a spade a spade.

This very same Bill Parcells told Chris Cooley that he had NO future in the NFL as a starter and if he were still around in the 6th round he would draft him for special teams :silly: Joe Gibbs saw something DIFFERENT in Cooley and it panned out pretty well for us. Ozzie is a genius drafting defensive players,imo. He drafted many medicore qb's prior to drafting Flacco and how many very good-excellent receivers has he drafted? Shanny's been pretty good at selecting qb's and rb's. So I definitely would give him more credibility in this area vs Parcells or Newsome. It is good to hear Beck is taking the leadership role he may not be the brand new rookie qb we all want but he isn't an long in the tooth vet who looks good on paper because o f prior accomplishments. I am all for Beck/Grossman in 2011-12.

If Shanahan has faith in him, I don't see anything wrong with giving Beck the ball rather than Blaine Gabbert or Jake Locker or Ryan Mallett. At least Beck knows the system, he is mobile, and he has a strong arm (there is footage of him throwing a ball 70 yds in college). Pick up a veteran to compete -- Sexy Rexy or someone else -- and let's see what happens. QB was going to be a problem for the Skins this season anyway.

:giantsuck::dallasuck:giantsuck::dallasuck:giantsuck::dallasuck

If you actually watch some tape on Beck, he's not as bad as some people wanna make him out to be. That Dolphins team he started on was horrid. His preseason play here was pretty bad but wasn't he on the team for like 2 weeks at that point? If Shanahan really has confidence in Beck, I wanna see him given a chance, and not a put in when we are already floundering and down by 3 scores kind of chance. If he comes in week one and turns the ball over 3 times, I want us to be patient and give him 5 more games. The guy hasn't started in forever he's gonna take a few games to settle in.

I know nothing about Beck, or where he came from or what he has done. I do know he must be an upgrade from Grossman! I wish they would deal Grossman to another team so he can sit on someone else's bench. Don't get me wrong, he is prolly a nice enough person, but he does not belong in the NFL... at least as a QB.

not trying to be revisionist, but I've been intrigued with his potential since we drafted him. Our team is not a playoff team, so I would be all for giving the kid a shot. He has the tools, and we have a good offensive coach. In one sense, he is an experiment akin to a rookie QB (100% potential, but a risky endeavor), but on the other hand, he already knows what it takes to succeed in the NFL, which could shorten the development time. His development will depend completely on his ability to master the offense, and from what I've read, he has the desire and work ethic to make it work....we will see...

It is important to remember that Beck is a bit older because of the time spent doing missionary work.

Why is that important? What difference does it make why he's older. Unless his missionary work was football related, it's not important at all.

I know nothing about Beck, or where he came from or what he has done. I do know he must be an upgrade from Grossman! I wish they would deal Grossman to another team so he can sit on someone else's bench. Don't get me wrong, he is prolly a nice enough person, but he does not belong in the NFL... at least as a QB.

Anybody who is capable of putting up 4 passing TD's and two 2-pt conversions via passing, vs. a division rival, "belongs" in the NFL, in some capacity. Even if its just a backup job somewhere.

But what you're stating is hyperbole.

---------- Post added May-14th-2011 at 04:03 PM ----------

Why is that important? What difference does it make why he's older. Unless his missionary work was football related, it's not important at all.

Its important because it means his body hasn't taken the normal damage a 30-year old QB, on average, has taken by this point in their careers. Its also important because it makes obvious the fact that he hasn't been in the NFL for 8 years (the normal experience of a 30-year old player), but in fact has only been a pro for half that amount of time.

Its important because it means his body hasn't taken the normal damage a 30-year old QB, on average, has taken by this point in their careers. Its also important because it makes obvious the fact that he hasn't been in the NFL for 8 years (the normal experience of a 30-year old player), but in fact has only been a pro for half that amount of time.
This.

It's pretty easy to 'step up into the starter's role' when it doesn't actually involve performing on the field :)

Don't get me wrong, having a guy with potential who's engaged, motivated, smart, etc..is a good thing. I'm not convinced he'll be our guy this season, and I'm definitely not particularly swayed that his professionalism as he prepares for that possibility equals success if he does get a chance.

• 5 weeks later...

http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-redskins/2011/6/14/2223670/washington-redskins-workouts-nfl-lockout-john-beck

For the second time this offseason, it appears quarterback John Beck is asserting himself as one of the leaders on the offensive side of the ball for the Redskins, as he was one of the players responsible for gathering other members of the team for the latest round of players-only workouts.

Today, Beck added a new wrinkle to practice: putting the team's work on film. Beck asked a member of his church to help film the practice so that he could review the tape with the rest of the team. (via Grant Paulsen of 106.7 The Fan)

Beck on why he hired someone to film practice: ''You have to be able to critique yourself and see what you did.'' #Redskins

Beck once again stressed the importance of the team practicing together rather than relying on the fact that each player was working out on their own.

John Beck: ''Guys are working out on their own but when you're working out with your teammates & pushing yourself, it's better.'' #Redskins

Beck also revealed that he has been throwing passes to receivers Anthony Armstrong, Malcolm Kelly and tight end Logan Paulsen over the past week.

There are two more practices this week at an undisclosed location, and the team will wrap up on Thursday hoping that this round of workouts will be the last they ever have to do outside of Redskins Park.

I wish him all the best and I am super glad that he is being such a leader, but I don't honestly expect John Beck to start for the Redskins. And if he does, we should probably expect to pick Andrew Luck in next years draft.

Lmao you guys are hilarious a bunch of kool aid drunk homers. I hope y'all were just watching NFL total access to see just how much of a joke this situation and this team is.

We all hope Beck is good if he's the qb but can we be just a little bit realistic. If Dallas was coming into the season with Grossman & Beck as their QBs we all would be laughing and making fun of them.

Like I keep saying this is the only fanbase that rather have Beck &Grossman over Mcnabb or other vet QBs. I hope it works out but i just don't see it happening. Shanny hasnt proven that he can make good decisions as the gm so I don't know why so many of you just ditch your common sense just to believe in him. Funny how players all over the league say they want mcnabb and haynesworth but we're so quick to push them out the door. We don't even have replacements for them but its ok because "in shanny you trust" right? Lol lets see if your saying that 2 years from now.

But like I said I hope it all works out.

This very same Bill Parcells told Chris Cooley that he had NO future in the NFL as a starter and if he were still around in the 6th round he would draft him for special teams :silly: Joe Gibbs saw something DIFFERENT in Cooley and it panned out pretty well for us.

This is news to me. Very interesting tidbit there.

That might go a long way toward explaining this:

U8gN8yRA20w

I'm worried about him, all of a sudden he might be our "savior" at QB. He's been a benchwarmer since he joined the NFL and didn't play a single down with us.

“It wasn’t even close,” Shanahan said. “He has everything you look for in a quarterback. No. 1 you have to love the game, you have to have the mindset. What I’m looking for is a guy first to work and last to leave. You’ve got to be able to run this offense at a very high level. He can do things with his legs that a lot of quarterbacks can’t do.” Link

When reading what Shanahan said, Beck looks like he is in the class of the Manning, Brees & Co, so why does he keep him on the bench even during the last games of the season ?

Beck is capable of leading the offense. But we still don't know much about him and we don't truly have enough to go on with the preseason games he played last year. From what I've seen of him, he can't hit the deep ball, but he has a very, very good short passing game.

Just like in 2005, if we had been told that some undrafted nobody named "Tony Romo sits to pee" was going to start for Dallas the following year.

Maybe that was the case for you but I actually know this game & follow it closely which is why i already knew Romo sits to pee was good & had the potential to get it done. Just like i knew Miles Austin was going to be good the year before he ever saw playingtime in the regular season.

Believe it or not there are some of us out here that can project, see potential & know if a player is good before they play a significant amount of time. Not everybody has to wait for the results before they know a player is good. You just have to know the game & know what to look for. Anybody can wait till a player has a breakout season & then say they're good...thats easy who can't do that.

But my point remains the same...if Dallas were coming into the season with Beck & Grossman we would be having a field day laughing & cracking jokes on them and you know it.

I don't see what the laughing matter is in this. All Beck has done is step up and lead like you want a QB to lead. I appreciate that someone is doing that. Now, whether he can play is another matter entirely, but Beck should be applauded for his efforts this offseason, not laughed at.

...When reading what Shanahan said, Beck looks like he is in the class of the Manning, Brees & Co, so why does he keep him on the bench even during the last games of the season ?
Beck was already under contract. Grossman was not. He needed to be evaluated.

Beck was already under contract. Grossman was not. He needed to be evaluated.

I understand your point about Rex's contract, but Mike Shanahan said he wanted to better evaluate Grossman and Beck once we were mathematically eliminated. I didn't see Beck playing, but yet he is very high on him.

I don't get the logic here when he said he needs to evaluate a starting QB, and doesn't do the same with the benchwarmer.

Last but not least didn't he (Kyle) had a full year to evaluate Rex when he was in Houston ?

Wow, your a bummer dude, this is not the way someone who "hopes it all works out talks." I wish there were coaches for debbie downer fans.. ^

---------- Post added June-15th-2011 at 10:24 AM ----------

Oh crap I was refering to chill skins fan 84's post

Archived