Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Beck stepping up into starter's role

Hitman21ST

Matt Schaub, in three seasons in Atlanta, had 2 starts, threw for 6 TDs and 6 INTS, and had three fumbles. He was far from a sure-fire starter, was just "thrown out there" while he was a career backup, brought in to the Texans in 2007, immediately started (under Kyle Shanahan as the QB coach mind you), and had a decent season. Only played in 11 games, but threw for 2200 Yards, 9 TD, and 9 INT.

Those aren't all pro numbers, by any means, but they're solid. If Kyle sees in Beck what he saw in Schaub, and he can replicate that with him, I'll take it. That's what we're thinking.

Again... Another Schaub comparison. Why? Forget the meaningless stats. People in the league knew Schaub had skills and praised the trade for him. Beck was handed to us like thrift store clothing. Joe Gibbs said he saw something in Campbell.How did that work out? He had a better rep for finding QB gems than shanny. Shanny brought in McNabb in the biggest fail ever and people stand by his words like its gospel. Shanny will have to gain my trust before I start thinking he has asolid plan. I wish fred agency would start so we could have some answers.If we target any QB as a starter it will put this BS to rest. Beck is a project that you take gamble on cuz its cheap and worth a look. I don't understand why fans are so into tanking the season already. Im sure shanny wants to win now.

Beck was one of the best coming out of BYU. He has never really had a chance in the NFL, so he is basically an unknown commodity at the point.

I, for one, would be interested to see what he can do. As others have said, many successful quarterbacks emerged late in their careers, after having been relegated to backup duty for years. To give a few examples: Steve Young, Aaron Rogers, and Stan Humphries. Could Beck have that kind of success? Nobody knows.

The other thing to make note of here is Beck's character. The fact that he is taking a leadership role here is impressive. The fact that he was a missionary as a young adult is laudable. He seems like one of the good guys. I would find it much easier to root for somebody like him then to root for a diva like Vince Young.

So, with that, I will be happy to cheer for John Beck, but I cannot predict how he will perform.

I agree with you pretty much, spot on. Nice post. Let's see what Beck can do if Shanahan is so high on him. But I also think we should re-sign Grossman as #2.

---------- Post added May-11th-2011 at 11:35 PM ----------

I wish fred agency would start so we could have some answers.

FWIW .. I believe that freD agency will start before freE agency does. lol

Again... Another Schaub comparison. Why? Forget the meaningless stats. People in the league knew Schaub had skills and praised the trade for him. Beck was handed to us like thrift store clothing. Joe Gibbs said he saw something in Campbell.How did that work out? He had a better rep for finding QB gems than shanny. Shanny brought in McNabb in the biggest fail ever and people stand by his words like its gospel. Shanny will have to gain my trust before I start thinking he has asolid plan. I wish fred agency would start so we could have some answers.If we target any QB as a starter it will put this BS to rest. Beck is a project that you take gamble on cuz its cheap and worth a look. I don't understand why fans are so into tanking the season already. Im sure shanny wants to win now.

i wonder what would have happened had we kept campbell and not traded for mcnabb. i never thought campbell was all that bad he just had no help around him...campbell didnt do too bad with oakland last year

i wonder what would have happened had we kept campbell and not traded for mcnabb. i never thought campbell was all that bad he just had no help around him...campbell didnt do too bad with oakland last year

Umm... didnt the team start winning with Gradkowski???

Also McFadden and Bush dominated .... not so much Campbell

Matt Schaub, in three seasons in Atlanta, had 2 starts, threw for 6 TDs and 6 INTS, and had three fumbles. He was far from a sure-fire starter, was just "thrown out there" while he was a career backup, brought in to the Texans in 2007, immediately started (under Kyle Shanahan as the QB coach mind you), and had a decent season. Only played in 11 games, but threw for 2200 Yards, 9 TD, and 9 INT.

Those aren't all pro numbers, by any means, but they're solid. If Kyle sees in Beck what he saw in Schaub, and he can replicate that with him, I'll take it. That's what we're thinking.

Sorry man I just can't run with that. As JPG pointed out, everybody in the league knew that Schaub had serious talent but his situation (playing behind Vick) and injuries held him back.

When a dude is drafted at the very end of the 3rd round (basically 4th) and gets traded for two 2nd rounders after putting up the numbers you listed, there is something very obvious about his game that people can see. All we had to do to get Beck was trade a guy who got cut by Las Vegas Locomotives). Based on what I've seen, I would honestly be surprised if John Beck would start for most UFL teams.

LDLU - a few things. He's a character guy - Mike likes those types. Is very serious about the game, is a hard worker, watches tons of tape, asks lots of questions. Very cerebral too, has a double masters iirc and scored high on the wonderlic. Is a gym rat. Tough too, having played his senior year on two hurt ankles and his sophmore year with a busted shoulder. Back in BYU - again iirc - they played in a similar style to Kyle's - long reads first, med then short. Another BYU upside is they had a porous line, so he's used to it. :)

I hear all of that, and I'm glad John Beck is on the roster for the reason you mentioned.

But let's say there is a girl who is completely in love with you... She digs cool music and great food, shes intelligent, loves cleaning, loves sex... unfortunately she looks like Jack Black with a wig on.... Do you make this girl your wife? No. You keep her around as a friend because you appreciate the awesome qualities about her.

There is no doubt that John Beck has some admirable qualities about him and probably deserves to be a 3rd string QB somewhere... but he's definitely not wife material.

But I also think we should re-sign Grossman as #2.

This is something else I don't get. If Grossman is resigned, why in the world would Beck replace him as the starter? Not that I'm a Rex fan AT ALL, but exactly how did he lose the starting job to John Beck?

We are a talking about a guy with ONE career passing touchdown to EIGHT career turnovers.

You guys really think that just because Shanahan had really nice things to say about a really nice guy, that he's actually going to be our starter next year?

If John Beck is our starting QB for Week 1, I will close my ES account and convert to mormonism because whichever God he prays to is the real one.

No.

The Raiders' record was better with Campbell than it was with Gradkowski.

He never said Campbell dominated, only that he played pretty decently with the Raiders. And for the most part he definitely did.

The only reason for keeping JC here, though, would have been in order to keep the draft picks used on McNabb.

But let's say there is a girl who is completely in love with you... She digs cool music and great food, shes intelligent, loves cleaning, loves sex... unfortunately she looks like Jack Black with a wig on.... Do you make this girl your wife? No. You keep her around as a friend because you appreciate the awesome qualities about her.

There is no doubt that John Beck has some admirable qualities about him and probably deserves to be a 3rd string QB somewhere... but he's definitely not wife material.

That kind of statement sounds like Vinny speaking here, let's go with the sexy pick instead of the one you really need. That is it's always a bad thing to look for better when you've already got what you need. The fact, is you don't need to have Peyton Manning behind the center every time to win Superbowl. You just need a QB that can do the job, run the offense, and move the chains. That's all you need. If you can manage to find a girl who shares lots of things with you, that loves sex, smart, and whatever you want, honestly, the way she's looking is no big deal, just marry her, it'll make you happier than wedding Miss USA and sees after 3 months that you don't match her at all. (Just go get a look at all those celebrities marrying and getting divorced less than a year after, that's what they're in, just trying to look like, instead of being).

Which gets me back to the point, if you have a John Beck that everyones passed on, because he's not the flashy QB everyone's looking for, but you think he can get the job done easily. Go on with him, it'll be better than anything else. It's all about pros and cons, you weight cons, pros, and you see which have the edge. Obviously, in your example, pros have a lot more edge against cons, so it's worth it. Perfection doesn't exist.

This is something else I don't get. If Grossman is resigned, why in the world would Beck replace him as the starter? Not that I'm a Rex fan AT ALL, but exactly how did he lose the starting job to John Beck?

We are a talking about a guy with ONE career passing touchdown to EIGHT career turnovers.

You guys really think that just because Shanahan had really nice things to say about a really nice guy, that he's actually going to be our starter next year?

If John Beck is our starting QB for Week 1, I will close my ES account and convert to mormonism because whichever God he prays to is the real one.

I don't remember Shanny saying that Beck will be starter next year. Obviously he just answered the question that he wouldn't mind going with Beck as a starter. But this will only happen at the end of TC and PS and if Beck beat other QB for the job.

And so far, if Beck beats every other QB to claim the job his, I have no problem with that.

Other stuff...

Funny post :D, but I just want to doggy bag the bolded part here for later on... :cool:

I would imagine there's going to be a QB comp (if possible) in TC when/if we resign RG, but i'm sure all of this talk right now is only strengthening the Skins negotiations with RG (regardless if KS & RG are friends or not). If (again a big if) there is a Qb comp, and the two of them perform almost equally, I say you at least throw Beck out in the 1st few games to really test him, worst case scenario, he gets killed behind our OL, or just plain stinks up the joint, at which point you hook his ass and run with RG for the rest of the season, knowing you at least have a somewhat servicable backup QB who is familiar with the offense (all characteristics we wouldn't have in a rookie or FA QB) :2cents:

They were 7-5 with Campbell starting last year, 1-3 with Gradkowski starting.

---------- Post added May-12th-2011 at 02:59 PM ----------

I'm all for giving Beck a shot, a shot to compete, that is. But I'm not for just handing it to him. At least throw somebody reasonably competent out there that he has to beat out. Open competition, may the best man win.

They were 7-5 with Campbell starting last year, 1-3 with Gradkowski starting.

---------- Post added May-12th-2011 at 02:59 PM ----------

I'm all for giving Beck a shot, a shot to compete, that is. But I'm not for just handing it to him. At least throw somebody reasonably competent out there that he has to beat out. Open competition, may the best man win.

Name recognition does not equal competence.

But I agree no one should be handed the job. Had quite enough of that with Campbell.

According to research by CSN Washington, no quarterback of John Beck's age and experience level has broken out as an effective NFL starter since at least 1980.

Beck turns 30 in August, and he has just four NFL starts under his belt. Jeff Garcia comes closest to Beck, but he had 10 NFL starts and four years with the Calgary Stampeders before breaking out at age 30. Eleven other QBs since 1980 have had their first 3,000-yard season after age 30, but they all had at least 16 starts before their breakout. That list includes luminaries such as Steve Young, Rich Gannon, Doug Flutie, and Phil Simms.

Source: CSN Washington

Hope he gets the chance, is all I can say.

According to research by CSN Washington, no quarterback of John Beck's age and experience level has broken out as an effective NFL starter since at least 1980.

Beck turns 30 in August, and he has just four NFL starts under his belt. Jeff Garcia comes closest to Beck, but he had 10 NFL starts and four years with the Calgary Stampeders before breaking out at age 30. Eleven other QBs since 1980 have had their first 3,000-yard season after age 30, but they all had at least 16 starts before their breakout. That list includes luminaries such as Steve Young, Rich Gannon, Doug Flutie, and Phil Simms.

It is important to remember that Beck is a bit older because of the time spent doing missionary work.

Great read and if you were impressed with Beck reaching out to rookies and organizing practices then you may fall in love with him after that article. You can question his skill set all you want but you certainly can't question his work ethic and dedication. Unfortunately dedication and hard work doesn't always equal success in the NFL. It’s still hard for me to believe that if Beck showed so much potential in practice that Baltimore would have traded him for next to nothing. But he certainly seems like the type of high character guy with great work ethic that this team is starting to build around so who knows.

Johnson wrote: "I PRAISE YOU 24/7!!!!!! AND THIS HOW YOU DO ME!!!!! YOU EXPECT ME TO LEARN FROM THIS??? HOW???!!! ILL NEVER FORGET THIS!! EVER!!! THX THO...,"

I suppose if you're going to give God credit for playing well, he should share the blame when things go wrong. Easy way to play the game with your head held high.

:D

I love the "THX THO"...and who writes twitters to God in all caps?

Hilarious link there.

Great read and if you were impressed with Beck reaching out to rookies and organizing practices then you may fall in love with him after that article. You can question his skill set all you want but you certainly can't question his work ethic and dedication. Unfortunately dedication and hard work doesn't always equal success in the NFL. It’s still hard for me to believe that if Beck showed so much potential in practice that Baltimore would have traded him for next to nothing. But he certainly seems like the type of high character guy with great work ethic that this team is starting to build around so who knows.
Indeed. Works hard (there's something to be said for those players with a chip on their shoulder; think AA and BB as well) and trans with 2 of the best.

Archived