Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT-Willie Parker on the Redskins: “They don’t care about football”

authentic

I laugh to see people ripping WP for saying something we've heard here for years. It is obvious that this is changing but perception always lags behind reality, so be it. This franchise desperately needed a Shanahan to restore some sense of professionalism, can't fault anyone for pointing that out.

People are still ripping Parker for this?

Folks, time to wake up. We've had several players talk ill of us. Not many teams have that problem. It's clear there was/is an issue.

Is Shanahan attempting to fix it? Sure. And I'm sure he's also made some progress. But please, don't put your heads in the sand. There's issues in DC... That again, I'm sure are being worked on.

---------- Post added May-5th-2011 at 07:39 AM ----------

The problem is you are using this as a cause and effect. This happens in all major sports markets. Even guys in college party hard. If we were winning this would be a non-issue. It is easy to pile **** on top of more ****.

Pick, you're still the man for introducing me to Ursula Mayes...

However, isn't it obvious that we're not winning? And going out and partying is not helping? How can you argue their side when we've stunk for years now?

I am sure it is 100% true. Parker is washed-up, but that does not make his experiences any less valid. The Redskins have a handful of London Fletchers . . . . but many more party guys.

And you know what? Shanahan agrees.

Look at our draft. Blue collar, high character, work horses.

I think that tells you Parker was right.

The truth hurts. I have heard the same thing about players partying the night before a home game all the time. I mean I am sure that their are a lot of redskins fans but remember the home game at Fed EX against the Steelers and we had to use a silent count thats a credit to the fan base.

honestly hate to say it but redskins fans are overrated. Impossible to please, rarely show up loud on gameday, and fail to rally behind our team. However i will say that rarely are we fair-weather fans and i hope we get a better atmosphere at fedex this year

How many consistently bad teams have a huge and active fanbase? Given what we're dealing with here, I think Redskin fans are pretty good. It's not to say that Redskins fans are fairweather, but why would people spend so much of their time and money on a team that seems to care less than they do and have no legitimate chance to be good?

What frustrates me about WP's comments is that people are acting like "Partying is what has made the Redskins horrible for the last 10 years". Huh?!?!?! Have any of you been around the last 10 years.

I can give you a list of things that have made the Redskins bad over the last 10 years.

- Daniel Snyder owning the team

- Joe Gibbs retiring the first time.

- Drafting Heath Schuler

- Drafting Desmond Howard

- Hiring Richie Petibon as the coach

- Hiring Norv Turner as the coach

- Firing Marty

- Signing Deion, Bruce Smith and Mark C.

- Neglecting to draft the Offensive line.

- Neglecting to draft the defensive line.

- Hiring Steve Spurrier.

- Hiring Vinny Cerrato

- Hiring Vinny Cerrato AGAIN!

- Not having a GM.

- Not having a good strength and training program.

- Trading away draft picks for aging Veterans.

- Signing Brandon Lloyd.

- Signing Adam Archeleta

- Never acquiring a Franchise QB.

I'm sure we could add many more things to this list yet PARTYING is why the Redskins are bad! Ah ... Thank you WP for diagnosing the Redskins woes. You have figured it out! You sir will be in the front office one day when your career is over. Oh wait ...

To quote Allen Iverson "Partying?!?! We are talking about partying?!?! Not 10 years of incompentence but partying!!

Again you can add partying to that list but to act like we are getting some "inside information" on why the Redskins have been horrible is ridiculous to me. Especially from a guy that was only here 2 months. Not 10 years but 2 months!!!

Ok WP to be fair. I will accept that the Redskins have a partying problem if you will accept that the Steelers have a molestor (Big Ben), diarhea of the mouth (Rashard M), and Weed smoking (Santonio Holmes) problem.

How many consistently bad teams have a huge and active fanbase? Given what we're dealing with here, I think Redskin fans are pretty good. It's not to say that Redskins fans are fairweather, but why would people spend so much of their time and money on a team that seems to care less than they do and have no legitimate chance to be good?

I agree with both sides, meaning I can understand a fan's frustrations with the team. At the same time, being a diehard fan never wears down, but ever since like 2007 there hasn't been really anything to cheer for, honestly. I still go hard though

What frustrates me about WP's comments is that people are acting like "Partying is what has made the Redskins horrible for the last 10 years". Huh?!?!?! Have any of you been around the last 10 years.

Of course partying alone hasn't made the Redskins a bad team. In fact, I'm not even sure where Parker said anything remotely close to "Partying is the only reason that team stinks".

He said something along the lines of our team "not caring" about football.

And that certainly is a factor. But, you're right. It's definitely not the only one.

Clutch, you're right, it is just one of the symptoms of the problem, not the problem itself but overall I think you could lump them all in the category of "Lack of professionalism". The fish stinks from the head down and I'll never forgive Bugeyes for all the damage he wrought and I'll never forget that TheDan allowed that to happen. Ok, so what's next? Where do we go from here? The reasons why are not as important as what to do about it, and getting players to focus more on earning their checks than how they want to spend them seems a legitimate concern.

Of course partying alone hasn't made the Redskins a bad team. In fact, I'm not even sure where Parker said anything remotely close to "Partying is the only reason that team stinks".

He said something along the lines of our team "not caring" about football.

And that certainly is a factor. But, you're right. It's definitely not the only one.

Exactly. My issue is also the source, WP. Remember when he was running his mouth about Mike Tomlin and the play calling. Here is what Mike Tomlin said:

"He needs to be a little more careful with things he says and how he says it because it can be misinterpreted as uninformed or selfish, of which he is neither"

So maybe this isn't the first time that WP has said something that "can be misinterpreted as uninformed or selfish". This is Mike Tomlin talking who I believe most people respect.

---------- Post added May-5th-2011 at 08:55 AM ----------

Clutch, you're right, it is just one of the symptoms of the problem, not the problem itself but overall I think you could lump them all in the category of "Lack of professionalism". The fish stinks from the head down and I'll never forgive Bugeyes for all the damage he wrought and I'll never forget that TheDan allowed that to happen. Ok, so what's next? Where do we go from here? The reasons why are not as important as what to do about it, and getting players to focus more on earning their checks than how they want to spend them seems a legitimate concern.

Right. Why are we still harping on the past when we are trying to move forward? How many players that were here during those years are still on the roster? What about coaches? We are moving forward and its frustrating that a guy that knows NOTHING about what the Redskins have been through in the past 10 years has something to say. How bout he shut his mouth and figure out how he is ever going to play football again. He isn't a Redskins so the name Redskins shouldn't even come out of his mouth unless it is "Thank you Redskins for giving me a opportunity to play when NO ONE else would". This guy is a joke better yet just the punchline.

Those still in denial may want to look at the Home vs Away records.

You can start with last season.

Home 2-6

Away 4-4

If guys aren't out parting all the time do you still think this team would have only won 2 games? AT HOME?

Well that explains that Eagles Monday night game....the boys must have been on a 3 day bender. Come to think of it, when was the last Monday night game that we won?

Exactly. My issue is also the source, WP. Remember when he was running his mouth about Mike Tomlin and the play calling. Here is what Mike Tomlin said:

At some point, though, you have to come to the conclusion that when this money people complain about something, there has to be an issue.

The whole, "where there's smoke there is usually fire" thing :)

At some point, though, you have to come to the conclusion that when this money people complain about something, there has to be an issue.

The whole, "where there's smoke there is usually fire" thing :)

The Redskins have a long tradition of good times. From Sonny to Riggo to the Hogs. I'm sure those guys kept it sober. HMMMMMMM! It all is about production. I don't want them to be alcoholics or degenirate citizens but I don't care if they go out and have a good time. They would have been bad regardless. Some great players go out and show out. Parker is just pissed about the whole "I'm cut" thing.

The culture is already changing around here.

Portis is gone, Moss will probably be gone, Shanny owned Haynseworthless, Los may be gone.

I like the way our team is going. Pretty soon, ****tsburg will be on the way down, hell they have the OLDEST team in the NFL.

Denial.

Not just a river in Egypt but a thread here as well.

This year's cuts will surprise some, shock others & give relief to the rest.

Something that really stands out from this year's draft when you read analysis of some of the top picks - high character, good worth-ethic guys. I was pretty sure at least some of that came from an observed need that the crud on the team needs to be jettisoned, and we need to build from a clean nucleus. It's great to have talented players to elevate your team, but I'd argue that in football more than any other sport, coaching matters, and the team playing together well matters. That gets harder and harder when you have too many bad apples.

The Redskins have a long tradition of good times. From Sonny to Riggo to the Hogs. I'm sure those guys kept it sober. HMMMMMMM! It all is about production.

And times are different. And they continually change. Back then, you didn't have guys who were physically as freakish as there are today. You didn't always have to be on top of your game to play.

Mental and physical preparation is a lot different today than it was in the 80's. Yet people keep pointing to the 80s for a reason as to why partying all the time is okay. It's not okay. Not for a professional. Not for someone who respects the craft, and not from someone who has a ton of people that enjoy watching a great product on the field.

Don't take it as me saying they can't have fun. But curb it a bit.

I don't want them to be alcoholics or degenirate citizens but I don't care if they go out and have a good time. They would have been bad regardless.

Well, they have been. People getting stabbed (even if its due to the company they keep), people feeling up waitresses (allegedly), the list goes on and on. At some point a line has to be drawn, and too many of our fans, who DEMAND a better product are okay with players on our roster doing things that no real professional would do all the time

Some great players go out and show out. Parker is just pissed about the whole "I'm cut" thing.

Head in the sand, hands over the ears.

I'm sure he's got sour grapes. That doesn't make what he says any less accurate.

What still makes me upset (Yes I'm getting back on my soap box). Is that he was here for two months. I just don't think that is fair to judge over a course of two months.

Let's say I just started watching football starting last offseason. I could say that Willie Parker is a slow, smallish, old RB who can't get more than 3 yards on a carry to save his life. That statement wouldn't be fair to WP because he has done greater things over the course of his career. But if you look at those two months he isn't anything you would want to see again (hence the reason he is no longer playing football).

Did I mention this guy irratates me.

Here's the deal (IMO):

Anytime a situation like this happens, when someone who really isn't associated with this organization intimately (especially during the Mike Shanahan era) make comments like these I always think back to something Brian Billick did back in 2000. He banned the use of the word 'playoffs' because his reasoning was 'until you are [a playoff team], you're NOT'.

And it's the same thing with the Redskins, albeit in a different sense. Until they can show that they have changed their ways over a reasonable period of time, from off field incidents, to the type of character they show, to the way they draft and use FA, to their actual on field success, they will never be viewed as New England, Philly and Indy.

So when someone like Willie Parker says something like this, this organization (from the outside looking in) won't get the benefit of the doubt. Even if what Willie said was 100% false, the Redskins haven't given enough proof over a long period of time to show what he is saying isn't entirely true. That's not to say I actually believe Willie Parker, but all I'm saying is that this is what the perception of this team will be until they can prove otherwise over the long haul.

Only then will people truly look at Willie Parkers comments for what they probably were, which was simply sour grapes.

Archived