Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT-Willie Parker on the Redskins: “They don’t care about football”

authentic

Willie Parker should have just kept his mouth shut. We know that there are some people on the Skins who party too much. We know it shows on the field. However, as a former player who didn't even make it on the 53 man roster, you can't complain about the team. It just shows that you are jealous and that other teams should stay away from you because of the things you might say after they release you.

I know if I was a GM and I see a player dogging his former team, I would think twice about calling him.

What still makes me upset (Yes I'm getting back on my soap box). Is that he was here for two months. I just don't think that is fair to judge over a course of two months.

While I do see your point, I think its even more condemning that he did notice in two months.

I think that says a lot as well.

But I understand where you're coming from.

Consider this simile:

Willie is like an employee who was part of a company that not only was successful with regards to the bottom line, but the management was able to make the employees' job pleasurable.

He decides to move on to a different company, but the environment is completely different. There is much less dedication, and the employees there don't really care about their work as much as his old place. It is a much less productive company and their performance is terrible compared to his old compnay.

Wille Parker has nothing to be jealous of on the Redskins. In fact, we should be jealous of him because he's got a ring, did it all without being drafted, and played for one of the finest organizations in football NOT only for the fans, but for the players themselves.

What still makes me upset (Yes I'm getting back on my soap box). Is that he was here for two months. I just don't think that is fair to judge over a course of two months.

Let's say I just started watching football starting last offseason. I could say that Willie Parker is a slow, smallish, old RB who can't get more than 3 yards on a carry to save his life. That statement wouldn't be fair to WP because he has done greater things over the course of his career. But if you look at those two months he isn't anything you would want to see again (hence the reason he is no longer playing football).

Did I mention this guy irratates me.

Half the guys he was talking about might not have even made it past the first cuts, let alone made the team.

---------- Post added May-5th-2011 at 01:21 PM ----------

Basically sounds like Shannahan's biggest complaint with this team to date: players don't practice hard enough and don't go the extra mile.

Well, he turned over half the team before last season and maybe will do some more this offseason if they ever get the lockout worked out. So if it remains a problem, it's all on him.

Wille Parker has nothing to be jealous of on the Redskins. In fact, we should be jealous of him because he's got a ring, did it all without being drafted, and played for one of the finest organizations in football NOT only for the fans, but for the players themselves.

Do you mean other than the whole actually playing football thing? Willie Parker may not be jealous but he is bitter that he wasn't good enough to beat out a bunch of partiers.

i didnt realize athletes wernt allowed to party on weekends..

Grown men are "allowed" to do whatever they want. The difference is that true professionals who take pride in their "work" and want to be as good as possible might limit or eliminate things that prevented that from happening. They are allowed to do as they please, but I'd prefer to have the ones that put football first. I don't care if the players I root for are "cool guys" or would be fun to hang out with. I have friends and don't need more of them.

I always loved rooting for my teams more when they had Cal Ripkens or Mark Rypiens. Guys that you knew went home after practice and thought about their sports for the rest of the night. Put it this way...I'd rather have a nerd like Peyton Manning who ate, slept, and breathed football as my QB over someone like Big Ben who was more of a wild card.

I always loved rooting for my teams more when they had Cal Ripkens or Mark Rypiens. Guys that you knew went home after practice and thought about their sports for the rest of the night. Put it this way...I'd rather have a nerd like Peyton Manning who ate, slept, and breathed football as my QB over someone like Big Ben who was more of a wild card.

Ummm, Cal partied like crazy early in his career.

Do you mean other than the whole actually playing football thing? Willie Parker may not be jealous but he is bitter that he wasn't good enough to beat out a bunch of partiers.

I see that you're just here to misunderstand me. But whatever.

Oh, so now being unable to produce like he was in his prime on the same level as being unwilling to produce.

Is argumentum ad hominem acceptable ever acceptable in discussions? No. Parker was asked to compare the Steelers' and Redskins' environment in an interview and he did so.

Parker is not the only one to comment on the culture here. It's not the partying. It's the LACK OF COMMITTMENT TO THE JOB.

Shanahan HIMSELF seems to recognize the need to expunge the lollygaggers and bring in some truly committed players. That's why we grabbed a ton of college team captains who all seem self-motivated to do their thing.

Ummm, Cal partied like crazy early in his career.

Mr. Milk? Really? I never would have guessed that. I was 6 when they won the WS, so I naturally never heard those stories. By the time I was watching him he was a father of two kids, organized off-season basketball games, was the spokesperson for milk, etc.

Oh well, he's a bad example I suppose, but my point is the same. I'd rather have the nerdy guy who only thinks about his sport and is a perfectionist than someone who is more like me and wants a balanced life. Afterall, I'm not trying to hang out with these guys, I just want them to contribute to my favorite team being as good as possible. The more robotic they are, the better!

I see that you're just here to misunderstand me. But whatever.

Oh, so now being unable to produce like he was in his prime on the same level as being unwilling to produce.

Is argumentum ad hominem acceptable ever acceptable in discussions? No. Parker was asked to compare the Steelers' and Redskins' environment in an interview and he did so.

Parker is not the only one to comment on the culture here. It's not the partying. It's the LACK OF COMMITTMENT TO THE JOB.

Shanahan HIMSELF seems to recognize the need to expunge the lollygaggers and bring in some truly committed players. That's why we grabbed a ton of college team captains who all seem self-motivated to do their thing.

Parker wasn't here long enough to understand what the culture was here. Are you telling me that London Fletcher parties too much? Yes, we've heard stories of players partying but we've also heard about partying from the Steelers. I've seen people state that players should never party which is ludicrous. They are humans who have lives. I saw Brandon Banks name brought up earlier because he was out at 3am partying. Nevermind that it was friggin February.

The problem with the Redskins is not partying. The problem with the Redskins is that we have an owner who wanted to play live Fantasy Football for a while and a bug-eyed sycophant who enabled him. The Redskins stink because we haven't had a good QB in 12 years. The Redskins stink because until last year we never drafted linemen. There are plenty of reasons that the Skins have failed but excessive partying is so far down the line it's not funny.

There are plenty of reasons that the Skins have failed but excessive partying is so far down the line it's not funny.

Feel free to add to the list I created earlier in this thread. I could have easily added 10 more but I got tired of typing. Yet partying is why the Redskins suck. I bet Zorn feels vindicated now that Willie Parker has cracked the case ... Partying is the Redskins problem!

I don't take as literal. His statement to me simply implied, that football is not #1 and maybe not even be #2 as a priority.

I have been to enough poorly played home games in the last XX number of years to say, Willie (regardless of his motives) just might have a point.

Feel free to add to the list I created earlier in this thread. I could have easily added 10 more but I got tired of typing. Yet partying is why the Redskins suck. I bet Zorn feels vindicated now that Willie Parker has cracked the case ... Partying is the Redskins problem!

Damn, I wish I had read the whole thread and had seen your list earlier. It would have saved me a lot of typing.

We've got confirmation from our insiders (who are also normally homers, to some degree) that constant partying is indeed a reality for some players. Its only one more step to see that effecting performance in a negative manner.

Partying is a sign of non-dedication... And non-dedication is a sign of a mediocre team... Example, imagine if the Cowboys actually were dedicated to the game without Tony Romo sits to pee going on a Carribean vacation before a playoff game, or Dez Bryant wasn't worried so much about his jewelry, or Roy Williams just being an idiot. They'd be a scary team. But due to their partying and non-dedication they just are mediocre.

From what I have witnessed over the years, it just doesn't seem like there are very many players on our team who are very motivated at all. They come to work, do the minimum of what's required of them and call it day.

When I take a good look at how each individual plays from week to week on this team, I almost get the sense that the younger players are just here (one of the party capitals of the nation) with a lot of money now, and care nothing about the playoffs or the Lombardi trophy. Then we have the veterans who most of them have played with motivated players from being on other teams and recognize the fact that we are not going anywhere with this group. So why go all out and get myself injured? Just get payed. Of course this is just my opinion.

I hope that M. Shanahan continues to trim the fat.

Mr. Milk? Really? I never would have guessed that. I was 6 when they won the WS, so I naturally never heard those stories. By the time I was watching him he was a father of two kids, organized off-season basketball games, was the spokesperson for milk, etc.

I have heard many rumors about him getting pulled over for drunk driving and because of who he was, the cops just ended up driving him home instead of arresting him. Note I said rumors. I can't vouch personally for any of it. Usually where there is smoke there is fire though.

Cooley responds:

"He came in and I was like Willie, let’s go out tonight. Let’s go get some beers,” Cooley said. “That was me that he was talking about, I guess. I’ll take the blame for the whole organization on my shoulders.”

Then, unfortunately, he got serious.

“It doesn’t matter,” Cooley said. “I mean, he’s not here, he’s not a part of this team. I have nothing bad to say about Willie Parker. He was a great guy. I was impressed by him from the time he come in. Obviously Pittsburgh’s won Super Bowls. He’s been a part of a team that’s won Super Bowls, and we haven’t. It’s radio. It is what it is. I have nothing bad to say about him. I think he’s a good guy.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/chris_cooley_responds_to_willie_parker/2011/05/05/AFTSvfzF_blog.html?wprss=dc-sports-bog

Willie Parker is like some unemployed guy coming into your company on a contract basis. You invite him out after hours for sociological reasons, and he declines. His contract ends, and he tells the industry that your company sucks. Happens every day.

Willie Parker is like some unemployed guy coming into your company on a contract basis. You invite him out after hours for sociological reasons, and he declines. His contract ends, and he tells the industry that your company sucks. Happens every day.

All of that is well and good...but what if your company does suck?

We've got confirmation from our insiders (who are also normally homers, to some degree) that constant partying is indeed a reality for some players. Its only one more step to see that effecting performance in a negative manner.

Guys who party on winning teams are characters. Guys that party on losing teams are losers. We had plenty of partiers on our Super Bowl teams. Plus there are different levels of partying.

Archived