Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT-Willie Parker on the Redskins: “They don’t care about football”

authentic

Guys who party on winning teams are characters. Guys that party on losing teams are losers. We had plenty of partiers on our Super Bowl teams. Plus there are different levels of partying.

You're proving my point. You don't party, even if you can "handle it" all the time, until you're a winning team. Even then, its not the kind of team culture I'd prefer. But when you lose and STILL party, without seeing if you can stop losing by not partying...that's just makes you someone who doesn't give a ****.

Hopefully Shanahan is slowly correcting this.

Plus, you're talking about a different era, with our Super Bowl winning teams.

You're proving my point. You don't party, even if you can "handle it" all the time, until you're a winning team. Even then, its not the kind of team culture I'd prefer. But when you lose and STILL party, without seeing if you can stop losing by not partying...that's just makes you someone who doesn't give a ****.

Hopefully Shanahan is slowly correcting this.

Plus, you're talking about a different era, with our Super Bowl winning teams.

The point is that partying goes on on all teams. We don't really know if the Skins party more or less than any other team. I do know that many of our most beloved Skins partied like crazy. It would be great if these guys lived at Redskins Park and ate and drank football but that's not realistic. Again we have no idea if these guys party any more or any less than any other team. But since we lose we grasp at straws..

The point is that partying goes on on all teams. We don't really know if the Skins party more or less than any other team. I do know that many of our most beloved Skins partied like crazy. It would be great if these guys lived at Redskins Park and ate and drank football but that's not realistic. Again we have no idea if these guys party any more or any less than any other team. But since we lose we grasp at straws..

I'd disagree. From first-hand accounts, it sounds like we at least party more than Pittsburgh, Arizona, and Chicago.

We have multiple players leaving here and tattle-tailing about the partying. We have insiders confirming, and even hinting that Shanahan will be making some decisions based on getting these guys out of here. Its not grasping at straws. Its our fanbase being in denial.

For those of you slagging Parker off because you don't like the message (is that an America expression?) wouldn't you rather the Redskins were a professional team like the Steelers or the Ravens? We might not like some of their players, or their fans, but I know myself each year I back them to win the Superbowl, and always get a run for my money (and some big wins too), while "hoping" my Redskins do so one day. Let Shanahan do his thing and let's get rid of the losing attitude this team has.

Sorry, just noticed ConnSkins26 said the same thing better a couple of posts above.

I like how the assumption is they only party by drinking. Anyone which says you can handle partying all the time and perform isn't being realistic. Human body needs a minimum of 7 - 8 hours of rest a night to grow muscle /heal and sustain energy through the day. How are you suppose to gain strength and condition your body to prevent injuries if your getting 3 maybe 4 hours a night? How many years have injuries struck this team hard over the years?

Partying is definatly not the main reason for our struggles but it doesnt help the cause.

I like how the assumption is they only party by drinking. Anyone which says you can handle partying all the time and perform isn't being realistic. Human body needs a minimum of 7 - 8 hours of rest a night to grow muscle /heal and sustain energy through the day. How are you suppose to gain strength and condition your body to prevent injuries if your getting 3 maybe 4 hours a night? How many years have injuries struck this team hard over the years?

Partying is definatly not the main reason for our struggles but it doesnt help the cause.

gif-baby-lawd-gif.gif

say im the coach id ask the guys to refrain from clubs except on nights in the mid week.. say Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday would be good nights to go out.. but Mondays,Fridays,Saturdays,Sundays should be days of rest film and recovery.

These guys get paid a lot of money to play a game for a living. The least they could do is be professional from training camp until the end of the season. If they want to go buck wild in the offseason that's their perrogative. It speaks volumes of a persons character if they can't be their best for their job for such a limited time of the year and for as much money as they get paid. From late July to Mid-February they should be focused on football. They can have a good time the other 4 months of the year.

And yet still, people choose to lash out in anger at Willie Parker than see the truth in some of these statements.
To make groupthink testable, Irving Janis devised eight symptoms indicative of groupthink (1977).

Type I: Overestimations of the group --its power and morality

1.Illusions of invulnerability creating excessive optimism and encouraging risk taking.

2.Unquestioned belief in the morality of the group, causing members to ignore the consequences of their actions.

Type II: Closed-mindedness

1.Rationalizing warnings that might challenge the group's assumptions.

2.Stereotyping those who are opposed to the group as weak, evil, biased, spiteful, impotent, or stupid.

Type III: Pressures toward uniformity

1.Self-censorship of ideas that deviate from the apparent group consensus.

2.Illusions of unanimity among group members, silence is viewed as agreement.

3.Direct pressure to conform placed on any member who questions the group, couched in terms of "disloyalty"

4.Mind guards — self-appointed members who shield the group from dissenting information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupthink

Sounds like he's just bitter. The game has passed him by. Besides wasn't Willie in DC for only a weekend?

It doesn't take away from the truth. This has been confirmed by multiple sources (NFL players & team insiders).

I know I keep saying this, but this is mind boggling to me how people are attempting to use excuses here...

"Yeah, but Willie sucks!" - Yes, he does.

"Yeah, he has sour grapes" - Seems like it, yup.

"Who cares what he thinks" - If he were the only one saying this, and we didn't stink, this isn't too far from the truth, either.

"He was here for a month!" - Even more reason why this should come across as a glaring problem

This is a problem, folks.

The only thing I can say is hopefully the culture is changing with Shanahan and Allen.

I know it's a tired cliche but it still holds true.

"Rome was not built in a day" And you know what? Football teams are not either. Last season was the first for Mike and Bruce and they were hamstrung by modified free agency so they were not able to turn the roster over in one season. It's probably going to go into the 3rd season before this team is completely revamped into what it should be.

I know I keep saying this, but this is mind boggling to me how people are attempting to use excuses here...

"Yeah, but Willie sucks!" - Yes, he does.

"Yeah, he has sour grapes" - Seems like it, yup.

"Who cares what he thinks" - If he were the only one saying this, and we didn't stink, this isn't too far from the truth, either.

"He was here for a month!" - Even more reason why this should come across as a glaring problem

This is a problem, folks.

Indeed, it is.

Sadly, most people don't know "culture" is or that organizations have their own distinct cultures. They're like the owners of the textile mills in the 19th century. Human Resources is not a relevant matter to them. Nor was it to Dan Snyder. The result? A decade of failure.

Archived