Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT-Willie Parker on the Redskins: “They don’t care about football”

authentic

I saw this bs on my twitter

I have been to pittsburgh and no insert colorful language are redskins fans worse than steelers fans

No ^&^&*()(( WAY!!!!

every fan base has knuckleheads FAST Willie

Uhh... I'm pretty sure he's not talking about the fans.

I'm with the no surprises crew. The last couple of years all we have been is a place for former professional players to receive their last paychecks before retiring or deciding they wanted to play football again for another team.

I'm certain that the amount of focus we put on the draft will change alot of that. Young, cheap, talented, hungry.....

Denial.

Not just a river in Egypt but a thread here as well.

This year's cuts will surprise some, shock others & give relief to the rest.

If I had to guess noteables I'd go with:

DM5

Los

Rocky

JBrown

Heyer (fingers crossed)

Sellers

Rabach

Kemo

Buchanon

Horton?

Don't think anybody besides those guys would be considered 'surprises' in any way - it'd be more like getting bumped for our draft class.

Riggins, Grimm and many others liked to party too. When you are young, strong and healthy, it is fun to do some partying. As a team, we just weren't that talented over the last decade. Now, we have a youth movement. We should have some new skills and longer parties, since young dude party all night. Please, just be talented, team first types.

Riggins, Grimm and many others liked to party too. When you are young, strong and healthy, it is fun to do some partying. As a team, we just weren't that talented over the last decade. Now, we have a youth movement. We should have some new skills and longer parties, since young dude party all night. Please, just be talented, team first types.

Times have changed.

Players' are in better shape. They are bigger, faster, and stronger. Mental preparation and physical readiness, although always a part of the game, are a much larger aspect of the game today than they were in the Riggins/Grimm days.

As a fanbase, we can't keep looking to the 1980's for answers. It's a different era.

Brandon Banks as well (3 AM night club incident, anyone?).

Banks was out clubbing in the offseason, that's not a problem to me....as long as he's doing what he should when he has to. Some players party and are able to balance work and studying with going to the club. LeBron seems as if he's always in the club, it never seems to interfere with his focus. With that being said, I still believe that the focus of some Redskins could be in question.

I'm with the no surprises crew. The last couple of years all we have been is a place for former professional players to receive their last paychecks before retiring or deciding they wanted to play football again for another team.

Yup. I don't see how this is a surprise to anyone. However I don't think it's an indictment of Shanny or Bruce. When Willie was here it was still somewhat early in Shanny's term and his first Training Camp with these guys, probably the first time he got to observe their work habits. It's obvious from this past draft that Shanny was looking for hard working characters on the front end, but we all knew it would take more than 1 year for Shanny and Bruce to completely change the mentality of this organization. If Willie were to be cut after the season, and talked about how no one cared about football, etc, etc. Maybe I'd be more receptive, but telling me something I already knew does nothing.

DM5

Los

Rocky

JBrown

Heyer (fingers crossed)

Sellers

Rabach

Kemo

Buchanon

Horton?.

I would prob add Golston to that list. I don't think he's a good fit as a 3-4 DE. Heck, he wasn't all that great as a 4-3 DT.

Banks was out clubbing in the offseason, that's not a problem to me....as long as he's doing what he should when he has to. Some players party and are able to balance work and studying with going to the club. LeBron seems as if he's always in the club, it never seems to interfere with his focus. With that being said, I still believe that the focus of some Redskins could be in question.

Here's my only rebuttal to that... Because I agree with what you said for the most part.

Getting stabbed doesn't show an ability to balance much of anything.

Don't think anybody besides those guys would be considered 'surprises' in any way - it'd be more like getting bumped for our draft class.

Many of the guys you listed aren't even under contract right now, so they can't really be cut.

Some partying is fine. If you have a job, though, you need to exercise discretion regarding when and how often you decide to party. It's probably pretty safe to say that a number of players have exercised exceedingly poor discretion (e.g., Rogers).

dont doubt what he's saying, when you win though, you tend to be more focused on the task, when things are not going good, you tend to be not as focused. its all about the culture (which is changing) and about winning games...plus getting rid of the players who have been here for awhile, i saw a list posted. If you get beat each week, you are going to get your mind off it.

Also.... see former Pitts kicker and current Colts punter.

I would prob add Golston to that list. I don't think he's a good fit as a 3-4 DE. Heck, he wasn't all that great as a 4-3 DT.

I don't know much about these folks personally and don't know who fits into this "partying" lifestyle....I do think that probably a number of the guys he was referring to are off the team. I do see Banks as being a potential cut TK was referring to. I've read about Fred Davis being caught up in a couple of things, but I can see us just cutting him.

I can't see how a coach can change the culture of an entire organization in 8 months. Remember Parker was released before the regular season. So they didn't even play any reg season games yet. Lets be realistic.

So Mr Shannahan who is widely considered a "My way or the highway" and a "I'll kick your ass and make you thank me for it" coach needs more then 8 months to get the attention of a team. You really believe that? I don't

Many of the guys you listed aren't even under contract right now, so they can't really be cut.

Yeah, I guess I'm just thinking in terms of guys who won't be on the roster.

Banks would surprise me. I think he has too much talent and explosiveness and from what I remember the incident wasn't his fault.

Golston ehh, we got more depth in draft and found guys last year who played the line decent. Wouldn't surprise me.

But the difference of when they did it, they would come to practice the next day hungover as hell and still work just as hard. That's what I meant about being professionals. When Grimm got into the hall of fame, the stories that came out during that time about him tended to lean towards the partying and then going to practice and barfing his guts up.

Denial.

Not just a river in Egypt but a thread here as well.

This year's cuts will surprise some, shock others & give relief to the rest.

TK after some of the stuff I saw on twitter this morning, I have no problems with that. I am really enjoying reading it because my respect for one player went way up and I totally lost respect for another.

So Mr Shannahan who is widely considered a "My way or the highway" and a "I'll kick your ass and make you thank me for it" coach needs more then 8 months to get the attention of a team. You really believe that? I don't

Well I think he is, but I think you have to remember with contracts and stuff being what they are, you can't just cut everyone you don't like. I think there would have been a lot more guys gone last year if he could have. Noitice that several guys on the party list have been released, like Portis and others like Rogers don't look to be back Just sayin....

You guys can make all the zings you want and sure, Willie is washed up and done as a football player but something tells me he's not far from the truth on his criticisms of the culture around Redskins' Park.

Before Shanahan, not since Shanahan has been here. It takes a while for players to buy in to what Mike wants. See Haynesworth, Albert, for prime example 1. There were various Redskins players all through last year that said they enjoyed the season better than in the past. Parker was here for 2 months and didn't even last out of training camp. He has no clue what went on during the season and should STFU and work on reviving his career.

Archived