Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What will our WR dept chart look like post-draft?

Monk in the Hall!

No...he wasn't correct in questioning your sanity.

Your initial statement was right.

It's entirely possible Banks might not make the team.

Totally agree. I raised this question a couple of hours ago. If these guys that were drafted have potential as WR depth and can return kicks, his job is in serious jeopardy. Love the guy as a return guy but if another player can return kicks and back up as WR, then that provides another roster spot.

Well, it's not just about Moss leaving or staying, although I do think that played into their decision to draft as many receivers as we did. Moss wasn't part of the problem last year - that should go without saying. Our other issue was a complete and total lack of depth behind Armstrong. Roydell was completely useless, Malcolm was on IR, and Terrence was buried until the end of the year. Moss has given us good seasons when he's been healthy, but the depth behind him has been a serious problem ever since before he got here.

David Patten: Past his prime and gave us very little.

Then we brought in Lloyd and Randle El. Lloyd underachieved horribly, and as a result of that, Randle El was forced to play out of position (he's more of a slot guy) and probably wasn't as effective as he could have been with a reliable target on the outside. Then we drafted Thomas and Kelly, signed Reche Caldwell, then McCardell, then Galloway. None of those moves worked - not to mention the vast majority of those guys were way, WAY over the hill. So when Moss leaves/retires (because he will in 1-2 years if he doesn't now), we're going to need to rebuild this receiving corps from the ground up. Out of all these young guys we have - more youth on the receiving corps than I've probably ever seen - someone's going to emerge. I don't know what the depth chart will look like, but I think it'll be a heck of a lot better top-to-bottom than it's been in the last 2 or 3 years.

Then Banks value goes up 'cos he makes big returns on a frequent basis. Though if Banks is returning I bet we get a touchback every time.

But, most teams will elect to kick the ball away from Banks. What was a positive has now turned into a negative with the rule changes. Banks' job is on the line. If another player can return punts and handle kickoffs with decent results, Banks is the liability not the asset he once was.

Regarding Austin, he too is on the small side. Sure he's fast but we have Armstrong's speed and I don't think the Skins see Austin as a stand out. I think Banks and Austin are gone. Check out the WRs the Skins are bringing in and read the handwriting on the wall.

I think Niles Paul will surprise a lot of people!! Ive gotten the chance to play with and meet Niles and he runs good routes, is a smart kid, a big physical receiver who uses his body well. He would be a great possession receiver and a big target on third downs!! Im excited to see what he will be able to bring to the skins!

We probably will sign a veteran receiver of some sort, either Moss or someone else, so that leaves:

1. Veteran

2. Armstrong

3. Kelly

4. Austin

5. Hankerson

Kelly and Austin are wild cards. If Kelly can remain healthy, I think he will make the team. Austin hasn't quite proven himself and can be vulnerable to Paul and Robinson. I expect, tho, that those guys will start on the practice squad.

Banks is a special case and might not count in this depth list. Then again, if one of the other guys proves that they can do his job just as well, they might be more valuable on the roster than Banks because they provide better receiver depth.

I would love to see the numbers Moss puts up, when he's not under the pressure of being the # 1 receiver that he should not be.

Well, he won't be getting targets that he did last year either. Think he was around tops in the league, top-5 perhaps?

How quickly do some forget Banks' impact last year? For the first time in eons, we found a punt-returner who would consistently get us yards -- doesn't anyone remember the long Randle El debacle? There were games last year where it seemed like the only way we might score a touchdown was via a Banks return; that's how dangerous he was. As one poster above put it, he almost won games by himself. Teams punted away from him. And he was a rookie.

He has pro-bowl return potential, and the less kick-offs to him, the less likely he is to get injured (and more likely to be effective on punt returns). He clearly wasn't the same in the last few games of the year after his leg injury, and if he can maintain his health, there's essentially no better returner in the league other than Hester. He's an asset, and someone Kyle Shanahan had hoped to get more snaps for at wide receiver. When building a roster of our best 53 football players, Banks has to be on that list.

If Kelly can stay healthy, he may have a leg up on Paul and Robinson (assuming he plays special teams this year). He has NFL experience, knows the playbook (who knows when Paul and Robinson will get theres), and won't be a wide-eyed rookie immersed into a new intense day job, living in a new city, suddenly with money. And Kelly, of course, has that desperation factor (last chance to make the Redskins/an NFL roster) -- he's a training camp sleeper, one who possesses elite-level hands and size. If I recall correctly, the Shanahan's were talking about him as having Andre Johnson-type potential when they took over.

What does Terrance Austin do particularly well? Believe he still has another year of practice squad eligibility. Assuming Kelly stays healthy, I believe the WR depth chart will look like:

1) Moss

2) Armstrong

3) Hankerson

4) Kelly

5) Paul/Robinson

6) Banks

P.S.

7) Robinson/Paul

8) Austin (?)

And we should be able to finally run effective 3 and 4-WR sets.

^^ I agree with this.

Also, people keep bringing up the rule change affecting Banks' ability to make the squad. While I will say it definitely doesn't help, I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker:

(1) Banks made the final 53 last year despite ONLY being a PR at the beginning of the season. It wasn't until we cut Devin Thomas that Banks began to return kickoffs too.

(2) Banks is a much better punt returner than kick returner. They're 2 slightly different skillsets, and from what I saw Banks was much more of a gamechanger as a punt returner.

To the guy talking about Banks having only the 9th PR average...I don't like to do this, but I will int his case make an excuse: Banks had 2 TDs brought back due to questionable penalties. I will concede that he's not the only return man in the league to get screwed by the refs, but I will say that (a) I saw both penalties, and they absolutely were questionable, and (B) he had TWO called back...not just 1. I'd say that's unusual.

I would love to see the numbers Moss puts up, when he's not under the pressure of being the # 1 receiver that he should not be.

I know what your saying but actually if we had a 'true #1' Moss's numbers would go down simply because his number of targets would go down significantly.

Moss is an odd player. I like him a lot. He frustrates me. He'll have games where he is brilliant and then games where he's more invisible than Sue Richards. He drops way too many for an elite receiver and I sometimes wonder if he is a game changer. Armstrong seems to have stolen that role. Last year, he made the big plays. Then again, Moss made some great third down plays and for a guy who drops as many as he does you can usually trust him to catch that pass in the middle where he's gonna get crunched.

I guess I wonder if when we think of Moss we all remember too much of 2005. Is he still that guy? I think we need him, but he's such a hot and cold guy.

top 3 on depth w/ moss- flanker is moss Split is hankerson/kelly/ Slot is armstrong/paul. .

w/o moss- Flanker-Hankerson or Armstrong Split- armstrong/kelly Slot-Paul/Armstrong/Austin

our flanker has to be true all around Wide out, and the only one would that is really taht player is Hankerson or a healthy Kelly, armstrong is more suited as an X receiver or slot...so Hed either be our X or slot, and Paul if has a great camp and preseason could become our X, while slot becomes armstrong.. slot is for the speed, and armstrong has that..

everything depends on Moss n if we add Jones,Sims walker, or ocho, or osmeone who i think we still will...

---------- Post added May-1st-2011 at 11:42 AM ----------

banks becomes expendable because of paul and robinson, who also have the ability to actually line up and take snaps w/ out lookn like a mighty mouse.. banks also losses upside due to the new rules of special teams on KO... Moss might stay or go, and we still might grab a FA, sims walker, jones, ocho...etc... w/ that in mind, i see banks gone, moss gone, williams gone...and possiblly kelly if he doesn't show his ability and stay healthy...id like hankerson to become our Flanker(Y) and Kelly become or split (x) while armstrong/paul in the slot. this of course w/ out additions of FA, and kelly showing why we drafted and kept him.

I think Austin, Banks, and Roydell Williams get the Ax...

Moss

Armstrong

Hankerson

Kelly

Paul

Robinson

Exactly what I said in an earlier posting. Austin is a duplicate of Armstrong. Banks' physicality along with his restrictions in the return game has set his fate. Roydell Williams is an imposture who thinks he can make the team again - wrong.

Kelly had better learn to play on STs and bust his butt in training camp. Time to show up and produce. Moss might be back at a significant reduction in pay.

Late nights and off field issues??!?! huh? Because he got stabbed defending his friend at a night club? Which so happens to be one of the nicer night clubs in DC! Theres nothing wrong with going to a club and having a good time. I dont think he has lost favor at all. I think a lot of people feel like he still has a lot to prove on the field.

Well, on the roster right now we do have:

- Anthony Armstrong

- Terrence Austin

- Brandon Banks

- Mike Furrey (he two spend some time on IR)

- Taurus Johnson

- Malcolm Kelly

- Santana Moss

- Maurice Price

- Roydell Williams.

With the addition of Hankerson, Paul and Robinson, it seems to me that Williams and Furrey won't make it through.

Price and Johnson, if I'm right were additions for injuries, thus I doubt they stand a chance.

Kelly is on the verge of being cut so far. He has not impressed much since being here, he was put on IR because the Coach didn't have much time to see what he's really worth. But Drafting 3 WR, makes me thinks that the coach has decided to move on from Kelly and starts anew.

And I don't worry with the fact that Moss is a FA, he wants to retire as a Redskins, he wants to be back here, he'll have a deal. Especially with Robinson being drafted, he looks like to be Moss replacement.

All of this is pure theory, as there'll be competitions between all of them and others that might be added through UDFA or FA, and that finally some will prove to be better additions to the team than others.

But I might see it like this:

- Moss

- Armstrong

- Hankerson

- Banks

- Paul

- Robinson

Archived