Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What will our WR dept chart look like post-draft?

Monk in the Hall!

Anyone listing Kelly as #4-#6 is out to lunch - there are really only two possiblities:

1) He's never going to shake his injuries = cut

2) He's mostly healthy, in which case he is easily a top three (3) receiver, most likely a top two (2) receiver

Every year it's the same thing at WR - people get all liquored up about late round draftees, thinking that they are finally going to be the answer at WR. Hankerson may have a shot, but the following guys are never going to produce anything: Paul, Robinson, Austin, Furrey, Banks (as a WR), Johnson, Price, and Williams.

Hitting on WRs in the draft is one of the most difficult positions to project into the NFL. Couple that with the fact that we don't have an obvious starting QB. The late round WR "gems" are almost always players who go to teams with established QBs who can help the WR make the transition into the NFL - I'm not counting on Beck/Grossman being able to do that....

1 moss

2 kelly

3 armstrong

4 hankerson

5 paul

6 banks

ps robinson/austin

call me crazy but i've been thinkin about mr kelly. i think hes supposed to be a big deal. this is coaching staff number 3 for this guy, and all 3 have kept him despite his injuries keeping him out for most of the season, if not all of the season. gibbs drafted him when he took thomas and davis, then good ol zorny had him for his year, and then shanny kept him last year. supposedly the guys healthy now. im thinking, (the big ? here of course) IF he can stay healthy???? i think kelly could be a big time guy for us. either way im happy with where our teams headed. would love to keep moss another year tho. i think hed love playin wr with one of his bros from the u

I think Moss will either choose to sign with another team or the FO will decide to go young. With that in mind...

Armstrong

Kelly

Hankerson

Austin/SMU rookie (winner on roster, loser on PS)

Banks

Niles on practice squad.

I'm perhaps overly optimistic on Kelly but I do think he will finally take a big step forward. There is also a good chance we sign a FA like S. Rice to be our #1.

Anyone listing Kelly as #4-#6 is out to lunch - there are really only two possiblities:

1) He's never going to shake his injuries = cut

2) He's mostly healthy, in which case he is easily a top three (3) receiver, most likely a top two (2) receiver

Every year it's the same thing at WR - people get all liquored up about late round draftees, thinking that they are finally going to be the answer at WR. Hankerson may have a shot, but the following guys are never going to produce anything: Paul, Robinson, Austin, Furrey, Banks (as a WR), Johnson, Price, and Williams.

Hitting on WRs in the draft is one of the most difficult positions to project into the NFL. Couple that with the fact that we don't have an obvious starting QB. The late round WR "gems" are almost always players who go to teams with established QBs who can help the WR make the transition into the NFL - I'm not counting on Beck/Grossman being able to do that....

So explain how Armstrong an undrafted free agent broke our rookie receiving record for yardage last year (breaking Gary Clarks record I think) and was also in the top 5 or 6 receivers in the NFL in terms of yards per catch?

Your right that the odds are against the guys taken late becoming the next Jerry Rice but thats a long way from a blanket statement that these guys 'are never going to produce anything'.

I actually think Terrence Austin has some potential in the slot. The guy works hard, runs good routes, and is shifty.

As some have mentioned, I can see scenarios where Banks doesn't make the team. But all of those scenarios are from him showing no improvement in the preseason. We're trying to get deeper as a team, the coaches and our FO all say it. We need depth. Bad.

Having one trick ponies on the roster is the opposite of that. I can see how, with the new NFL kickoff rules, and if Banks doesn't improve as a WR, we might decide to go with guys who can contribute in more than one way.

I actually think Terrence Austin has some potential in the slot. The guy works hard, runs good routes, and is shifty.

As some have mentioned, I can see scenarios where Banks doesn't make the team. But all of those scenarios are from him showing no improvement in the preseason. We're trying to get deeper as a team, the coaches and our FO all say it. We need depth. Bad.

Having one trick ponies on the roster is the opposite of that. I can see how, with the new NFL kickoff rules, and if Banks doesn't improve as a WR, we might decide to go with guys who can contribute in more than one way.

I tend to agree with you, but if he rocks out as a punt returner, and no one else does as good, we might keep him there for that. If he becomes a legit home run threat every 4th down, he's worth it.

So explain how Armstrong an undrafted free agent broke our rookie receiving record for yardage last year (breaking Gary Clarks record I think) and was also in the top 5 or 6 receivers in the NFL in terms of yards per catch?

Your right that the odds are against the guys taken late becoming the next Jerry Rice but thats a long way from a blanket statement that these guys 'are never going to produce anything'.

So you can name one example in the past ten years of a redskins low round WR or UDFA WR doing anything of note. Contrast that with the ridiculous predictions that people make this time of year about incoming players and you have a HUGE insurmountable chasm of blind homerism....

It's the same people who were suggesting potential trades involving Jesse Lumsden (sp?) 4-5 years ago - Trading our preseason heroes for established veterans. You can always find exceptions, but overwhelmingly, those late round pics are camp fodder.

Archived