Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What will our WR dept chart look like post-draft?

Monk in the Hall!

Moss is an odd player. I like him a lot. He frustrates me. He'll have games where he is brilliant and then games where he's more invisible than Sue Richards. He drops way too many for an elite receiver and I sometimes wonder if he is a game changer. Armstrong seems to have stolen that role. Last year, he made the big plays. Then again, Moss made some great third down plays and for a guy who drops as many as he does you can usually trust him to catch that pass in the middle where he's gonna get crunched.

I guess I wonder if when we think of Moss we all remember too much of 2005. Is he still that guy? I think we need him, but he's such a hot and cold guy.

Moss isn't the same guy as he was in 2005, and hasn't been for a while. He doesn't have the gamebreaking speed he used to -- he can't catch a ball, make a guy miss, and take it to the house. Those days are long gone. Instead, as strange as it is, Moss has become purely a possession receiver (90odd catches last year). He's not a deep threat, but he still runs terrific routes underneath and gets consistent separation. And his questionable hands render him merely a "#2" option.

That being said, he fits a role in this offense, and that is exactly why this offense is so effective. We don't necessarily need a "#1" receiver, but an array of guys that have different skill sets that bring something to the table. And perform their role to perfection. Anthony Armstrong is our deep threat, takes the top off the defense, and is our "instant offense" guy. Moss is our underneath guy and 3rd down favorite target. Henkerson is now another possession receiver who can also threaten deep, but moreover, he's a bonefide redzone threat. (and Banks is the gadget guy)

It's amazing how many guys here want/expect 3 rookie wide receivers to make the team. It's utterly absurd, especially when Banks and Kelly don't have practice squad eligibility. Given Moss' injury concerns, does anyone really expect Shanahan to trot out a lineup that includes rookies as 3 of our top 4 receivers? With a total of ONE SEASON of experience among all 4? This is the same guy who started Joey Galloway for half a season; a guy who kept Roydell Williams on the roster all season, even when Terrance Austin had performed extremely well in pre-season. A guy who cut Devin Thomas and all of his raw potential for the reliability and veteran knowhow of Williams/Galloway.

Banks will be back because he's a proven talent. Kelly will be given a greater opportunity to earn a roster spot because he was here all season, learning the system, in meetings, going through walkthroughs, and has a familiarity with the offense. He also STILL possesses more raw talent and potential than our late draft picks.

Paul and Robinson have practice squad eligibility, which is where, most likely, at least one of them will end up. If not both.

Maybe because last year the coach didn't have much opportunities? He was coming, hadn't real info on any guys, tried to send a lot of vets to see what they're all worth (especially with the RB, remember?). Now he's got a year of studying and working with them, a year that Kelly did spend on IR. Sure he's not toasted yet, but the next injury will probably mean that he's out of town. Good players are rarely injured. Injury prone ones are not good players, because they're injury prone, and you can't rely on a guy that'll only play 1 game out of 5 or 6.

Last year was mostly evaluating players, now it's gonna be different.

And we can wonder the same thing about the RB position.

Right now we do have:

- Andre Brown

- James Davis

- Shawnbrey McNeal

- Chad Simpson

- Ryan Torain

- Keiland Williams

Adds in Roy Helu and Evan Royster, that leaves 8 RB in competition with 4 spots to take at best.

I won't garantee a roster spot for Torain if he keeps on getting injured and we might ends up with a RB corp like this one:

- Keiland Williams

- Roy Helu

- Evan Royster

- Ryan Torain if he remains healthly.

Sure not all prospect might make it to the team, and probably won't... But you just can't rule them out just b/c they're rookies. Lots of people here do have question marks on them and are not a garanteed roster spot.

Guys that are safe roster spot in RB and WR positions? None.

The only safe guys you'll find in the team are what? Fletcher, Rak', Landry, Atogwe, Hall, Trent Williams, Cooley (I'm leaving FA asides from that list, even if I think Moss will resign). That's pretty much it. All the other just have to give their best, if not more if they want to make the team.

Late nights and off field issues??!?! huh? Because he got stabbed defending his friend at a night club? Which so happens to be one of the nicer night clubs in DC! Theres nothing wrong with going to a club and having a good time. I dont think he has lost favor at all. I think a lot of people feel like he still has a lot to prove on the field.

Didn't it come out, that he actually antagonized the guy a bit (and the guy CLEARLY over-reacted)? I thought from what I heard, the Security tapes showed a WHOLE lot more than what was initially reported.

Yeah... the story changed a bit after details surfaced.... http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/2011/03/02/the-real-story-behind-the-brandon-banks-stabbing/

I think Austin, Banks, and Roydell Williams get the Ax...

Moss

Armstrong

Hankerson

Kelly

Paul

Robinson

Like you, I think all three draftees have a real chance of making the roster...but imagine a scenario where the labor dispute drags on for another 3 months. Would it be viable to carry 3 guys with such limited exposure to this offense. I'm not sure it would be.

Hankerson/AA/Paul/Austin/Banks/Kelly (if healthy and becomes our 2)

I think it might be time to part with some of our WRs.

1/ Love Tana ... but, he didn't have a stellar year,last year. He has definitely lost a step or two, and drops catches frequently. He is a free agent, and may price himself out of our mix. If he returns, he will be our #2 WR.

2/ Leonard Hankerson will be groomed to be our eventual #1 WR.

3/ Niles Paul will be our projected future #2 WR.

4/ Anthony Armstrong is our #3 / slot WR.

5/ Aldrick Robinson is our PR / WR / #4 WR.

Which means, Roydell Williams, Austin, and Brandon Banks will be shown the door. Roydell just didn't cut mustard. Austin and Banks are too small to play in the NFC East which has BIG and Physical defenses.

Bank is a one trick pony with speed, and unfortunately, as seen last year will have a difficult time sustaining hits for all 16 games.

I think it might be time to part with some of our WRs.

1/ Love Tana ... but, he didn't have a stellar year,last year. He has definitely lost a step or two, and drops catches frequently. He is a free agent, and may price himself out of our mix. If he returns, he will be our #2 WR.

He didn't? 93 receptions (4th in NFL), 1115 yards (10th), 6 TDs? I'd call that pretty damn good

Didn't the NFL change the Kickoff rules moving it forward 5 yards? That won't give Banks as much room to get his gears up. It might be more important to have a guy who can shed a few tackles, and then "explode" to the third gear for 5 or 10 yards to shed another couple tackles.

Given that thought, Banks would not make the roster. He does not shed tackles. Shame, I really like him.

My best guess upon entering training camp w/ Moss resigned

Base:

Z-Moss-starting Z receiver and focal point of the passing offense, Austin, (Robinson)

X-Armstrong-starting X receiver and second WR option, Kelly, Hankerson, Paul

3 WR:

Y-Moss-starting Y receiver and focal point of the passing offense, Austin, (Robinson)

X-Kelly-3rd WR option, Hankerson

Z-Armstrong second WR option, Paul

(Robinson) practice squad

I really like our WR corps if Moss returns.

We had a good passing offense that revolved around 2 WRs Moss and AA our 3rd WRs were our weak spot Galloway and Roydell Williams just didn't get the job done.

Whoever ends up as the No.3 WR option all things being equal will probably get at least 58 targets.

w/o Moss:

Base:

Z-Armstrong-starting Z receiver and focal point of the passing offense, Austin, Robinson

X-Kelly starting X receiver and second option, Hankerson, Paul

3 WR:

Y-Armstrong focal point of passing offense, Austin

Z-Kelly second WR option, Paul

X-Hankerson, Paul

Without Moss our WR corps is much less potent and would rely heavily upon Kelly and Hankerson/Paul to pick up the slack of 103 catches/206 targets.

Wow I'm absolutely SHOCKED at how many people want Banks to be shown the door. He was pretty much our most dangerous weapon last year.

I'll go with something like this:

Moss

Armstrong

Hankerson

Austin

Banks

One of Kelly/Paul/Robinson

I think Paul and/or Robinson are likely practice squad candidates.

Wow I'm absolutely SHOCKED at how many people want Banks to be shown the door. He was pretty much our most dangerous weapon last year.

I'll go with something like this:

Moss

Kelly

Hankerson

Austin

Banks

One of Kelly/Paul/Robinson

I think Paul and/or Robinson are likely practice squad candidates.

So you think Armstrong will be cut?

im not gonna guess depth but ill guess the group that makes it

Hankerson

Armstrong

Austin

Paul

Banks

If we carry six (Kelly)

im pretty sure we will let santana walk and he will probably end up on the patriots/jets/colts/steelers i.e. SB contending team

My guess:

Armstrong- he knows the plays better then the new guys.

Hankerson

Paul

Austin

Taurus Johnson

Maurice Price

Mike Furry

Banks is our KR/PR. I think he will be used more as a scat back if needed or WR screens, possibly on short crossing routes or slants for 1st downs.

Moss is aged and I think the team cuts him unless they get a really good cheap deal on him and don't like the WR's they have now.

Sorry but I foresee Kelly getting cut. He has not lived up to his billing and I doubt ever will. My faith in him is gone. I'm believing the teams faith is gone also. You can't stay healthy and help the team then your gone.

---------- Post added May-1st-2011 at 09:01 PM ----------

im not gonna guess depth but ill guess the group that makes it

Hankerson

Armstrong

Austin

Paul

Banks

If we carry six (Kelly)

im pretty sure we will let santana walk and he will probably end up on the patriots/jets/colts/steelers i.e. SB contending team

Didn't they carry 6 or 7 last yr to include the PS players? I thought we had 5 on active roster and 2 on PS.

With all due respect, you're retarded if you think we're gunna let Banks go.

Honestly, I think Robinson will end up on our PS, and eventually move up, while we chew Banks up and spit him out over the next two years. He's just not built to last, unfortunately. But I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of him while he's here. Hopefully we'll move him off of KR to preserve him.

I'm confused why a lot of you think Banks will be here. Yes, he was a top return threat in the league last year. But remember, the NFL changed the kickoff rules and will put the ball 5 more yards ahead. That means the defenders will get down faster and the returner will likely get hit a few times.

Banks is tiny. As in, you'd find bigger guys at your local High School. He can't handle hits. My guess is they will "see" how the new rules effect him in practice/preseason but I don't see him on the active squad. He is not a contributer at WR at all.

Moss

Hankerson

Armstrong

Kelly

Austin

Robinson

I'm confused why a lot of you think Banks will be here. Yes, he was a top return threat in the league last year. But remember, the NFL changed the kickoff rules and will put the ball 5 more yards ahead. That means the defenders will get down faster and the returner will likely get hit a few times.

Banks is tiny. As in, you'd find bigger guys at your local High School. He can't handle hits. My guess is they will "see" how the new rules effect him in practice/preseason but I don't see him on the active squad. He is not a contributer at WR at all.

Moss

Hankerson

Armstrong

Kelly

Austin

Robinson

Banks, despite being an undrafted rookie, made the final 53 last year despite not returning kickoffs for our team. Devin Thomas made our final 53 last year despite ONLY returning kickoffs for our team. If anything, MS has shown that if you have explosive special teams ability, he will find a way to keep you. Banks should make the team this year unless:

(1) He's not physically recovered

(2) One of the other rookie WRs shows equal or greater return ability

Otherwise, he's going to make it. All the negatives you listed about Banks didn't stop him from making the team last year.

Moss

Hankerson

Armstrong

Kelly

Austin

Robinson

Banks still has value as a PR but he will have to compete and show he can contribute at receiver to keep that roster spot - I would be surprised if he gets cut this year but he will come under increasing pressure as keeping a receiver spot for a guy who returns kicks but does not really contribute as a receiver is a luxury we can't afford IMO.

Archived