Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could Roy Helu be a future star? Or wasted pick?

skinofwar

The pass blocking thing is ridiculous and an example of someone talking until they think of something to say. I said this in the draft day thread but I am going to repeat it. The sample is so small to go from that there is no real way to ascertain this.

1) He would have to be on the field (NU is RB by committee).

2) He would have to not have been one of the potential receivers (Helu is very good out of the backfield).

3) Nebraska very, very rarely passes.

How can anyone possibly really know anything about Roy Helu's pass blocking ability? He may suck at it but we really cannot know this for certain. He is a great athlete with a good attitude. They can coach him up.

I think that Shanahan has a good track record when it comes to RB's and in the Nebraska offense isn't anything like it was in previous years. So their RB's aren't bruisers like years past under Osbourne. I like the pick and could be our next starter.

They should ahve never traded up for him. Should have kept their 3 picks

moves I do not like so far. These were all over reaches IMHO

Jarvis Jenkins

Roy Helu

Dejon Gomes

Just because Kiper and McShay consider them to be a reach, it doesn't make them a reach.

Look at the Patriots. These "analysts" criticize their FO for reaching on players...let's see...the Pats were 14-2 last year with a roster loaded with "reach" players.

Obviously THEY felt they needed to draft up (because they did). The point is does anyone else think so. (you know, the forum folks??)

I don't think so.

You, yourself didn't say. (or defend the choice at that slot, except to express "in management we trust" mentality... which really is not a true defense of the pick, just a 'go-along')

Your welcomed to make a defense though...

Did we really need to trade up?? In the fourth round?? To get Nebraska RB Roy Helu??

I don't think so. I love how they traded down in the draft repeatedly or stayed put until this point. Oh well, someone in management must have had a man-crush.

Four or five RB's were picked between the Helu pick and our original #30 pick in that round. They knew a run on RB's was coming, and they moved up, took the guy they preferred. You always want to be at the front of any run on a position, to get your guy.

---------- Post added April-30th-2011 at 05:28 PM ----------

Obviously THEY felt they needed to draft up (because they did). The point is does anyone else think so. (you know, the forum folks??)

I don't think so.

You, yourself didn't say. (or defend the choice at that slot, except to express "in management we trust" mentality... which really is not a true defense of the pick, just a 'go-along')

Your welcomed to make a defense though...

See above for my defense of the pick.

He is known for being a terrible pass blocking back which limits his usefulness on 3rd down.

The only way this guy is a "future star" is if the OLine can be good enough to allow him to run a one cut system successfully. The OL still concerns me though. We don't have a starting Right Tackle under contract IMO for next year.

Or centre or right guard ......

Originally Posted by Destino

He is known for being a terrible pass blocking back which limits his usefulness on 3rd down.

The only way this guy is a "future star" is if the OLine can be good enough to allow him to run a one cut system successfully. The OL still concerns me though. We don't have a starting Right Tackle under contract IMO for next year.

Or centre or right guard ......

Yeah offensive line & thus offense is going to be a big problem (can't believe we drafted NOTHING in the OL department (except our second 7th rounder?? holy S man!!)

DESTINO: what do you think of J.Brown? Do you think he can return to form after his first season back from a season ending injury? I'm not saying that he will, but I think our hands are tied and we have to let it play out for better or worse.

They should ahve never traded up for him. Should have kept their 3 picks

moves I do not like so far. These were all over reaches IMHO

Jarvis Jenkins

Roy Helu

Dejon Gomes

I don't know much about Gomes, but don't sleep on Jenkins. He did alot of the "dirty" work at Clemson. He was every bit as valuable as Bowers, he just didn't get the recognition. With that said, it remains to be seen if he actually fits where they plan on playing him.

Helu? Don't know much about him either. But I trust Shanny's judgement with late draft RBs.

I think him and Torrain will be a perfect one two punch

To be honest I'd rather have the rookies as the 1-2 punch with Helu the primary back and Royster coming in on 3rd downs. Royster is a good change of pace and is a good receiver out of the backfield.

And then keep Torrain ready for those goal line carries as he's more of the big bruiser. With the rookies taking the bulk of the carries this will help to keep Torrain healthy, but still use his power to get into the endzone as we saw him do last year.

To be honest I'd rather have the rookies as the 1-2 punch with Helu the primary back and Royster coming in on 3rd downs. Royster is a good change of pace and is a good receiver out of the backfield.

And then keep Torrain ready for those goal line carries as he's more of the big bruiser. With the rookies taking the bulk of the carries this will help to keep Torrain healthy, but still use his power to get into the endzone as we saw him do last year.

I don't know if I could justify Torain riding the pine after last season's flashes of production. I especially don't see it when Royster doesn't offer anything over Torain.

Did we really need to trade up?? In the fourth round?? To get Nebraska RB Roy Helu??

I don't think so. I love how they traded down in the draft repeatedly or stayed put until this point. Oh well, someone in management must have had a man-crush.

Or they felt like a team ahead of them were going to take him. It's an unknown for all of us.

I don't know if I could justify Torain riding the pine after last season's flashes of production. I especially don't see it when Royster doesn't offer anything over Torain.

A good point. I think what it will come down to is the rookie's vision. Which I think was key to Torrain's success last year. He had that one cut downhill 10-15 yd gains a lot last year.

If the rookies can find the holes as well as Torrain did, I think they both have the ability to take it a lot farther than 10-15 yd gains. And Torrain has yet to prove he can handle the bulk a whole season puts on a RB.

We shall see.

Agreed. Torain should be the primary ball carrier. Helu will work nicely as a change of pace guy. Royster will be a nice reserve.

The more I think about it actually, I think it will be a true running back by committee. All three bring something to the table that the other doesn't and I think they will compliment each other very very well.

RB just became a major strength for us, imo.

Archived