Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could Roy Helu be a future star? Or wasted pick?

skinofwar

I am high on both of them and am excited to see what they can bring to the offensive. If we can upgrade the line maybe finally we can consistently score some point. Oh wait there is a QB issue.....

Not that big of an issue imo. We aren't built for the superbowl this year so that doesn't matter. There are plenty of average QBs that can get a team to a good record above .500. QBs like Beck and Grossman can def. do that. Especially when we are building the foundation for this team on defense and at the skill positions.

When we get our franch. QB, he will be a happy guy because his team will already be ready to win.

Helu - 578 career carries - 5.9 YPC (6.62 YPC and a touchdown every 17 carries last year)

Royster - 686 career carries - 5.73 YPC (413 carries in the last two years ALONE, not to mention the all time rushing record for Penn State)

1,264 carries between them. They may both end up being busts, but the only way they're voluntarily leaving the field is on a stretcher. This is smart drafting.

This is smart drafting. Both of these guys have more carries on their own than Torain does since 2006 through college & the pro's.

Shanahan is going to lighten the load on Torain and run some of these young kids into the ground.

Either guy could add immense value to our rushing attack without being 'stars' in their own right.

I think its unlikely that Helu turns into a "wasted" pick. He's fast, seems to be a true one cut back, and has produced multiple years behind what some say was a below average offensive line at Nebraska. (I will admit that I know nothing about the quality of Nebraska's line the past few years so I am taking the word of other posters on this one). Whether he turns into a "future star" will likely depend on his development as a blocker. In my opinion Helu wont get enough reps to turn into a "star" in the league if he isn't effective in pass protection (which will likely mean getting stronger among other things. Helu may have had the least amount of bench reps of all the RBs at the Combine with 11 - most RBs had 20 or more bench reps). He doesn't have to become CP but if everyone in the league knows that Helu will only be used in obvious rushing downs because of his inability to pass protect then he won't get enough reps to be more than a footnote on the roster.

Somehow I keep thinking about Skip Hicks, whenever I see Helu's game clips.

It's not a good comparison, they're not really alike, but for some odd reason, that's the level where I think Helu's talent will translate to in the NFL. Then again, maybe Shanahan could have made Hicks a star

Somehow I keep thinking about Skip Hicks, whenever I see Helu's game clips.

It's not a good comparison, they're not really alike, but for some odd reason, that's the level where I think Helu's talent will translate to in the NFL. Then again, maybe Shanahan could have made Hicks a star

Shanahan said Helu reminded him of Portis. And Royster reminded him of Terrell Davis. Shanahan's best two backs, in the same draft. I'm not upset about our backfield at all.

Naturally, I'm encouraged by what Shanahan states about the players he drafted. He's comparing them to some high-level NFL players --and it'll be great if they can step up to Mike's expectations.

I'm not an NFL talent scout -- just a fan. And I'm just going by the few video-clips that I've seen. Helu showed passion, but I was more impressed by Royster.

Archived