Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could Roy Helu be a future star? Or wasted pick?

skinofwar

When considering a RB for a veer like running attack (which is what we have), 4.6 is usually your cutoff as far as 40 times. You like them no slower than 4.5 but agility, decision making, endurance and vision are much more important. How quickly you can get to top speed is also very important. As far as taking it to the house, great top speed is about the third, maybe even the fourth, most important thing a break away RB needs. All 40 times give you is an indication about the guys quickness and agility. In any case, Helu has an elite 40 time. Assuming he has the endurance, vision and agility, he'll likely be able to run away from DBs if he has the chance.

Da'Rell Scott couldn't even win the starting job at University of Maryland. Helu will be a very good back and maybe a star for the Redskins in the near future. Shanahan and Bobby Turner (RB) coach know what they are looking for in a running back and have been much more successful than other coaches in the NFL by a long shot.

I like Helu Jr. a ton. I just think we reached to get him. I am glad we did and it's good to know that Shanny and Turner are on board. I think he gets around 500 to 600 rushing yards this season if not more. JMO.:)

I can't believe anyone being down on Helu.

. . .

I'm saying worst case scenario Helu is a serviceable starter or change of pace guy and I'm leaning towards him being a potential star for us. I love that we got him and Royster, I think they are the future for us at running back.

Good post bro.
I've also heard Helu never fumbled the ball in his career. Impressive.
Is this true? If so then . . . wow!

Is this true? If so then . . . wow!

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/388026/roy-helu-jr

If you don't want to click the link:

2007: 45 Attempts, 209 Yards (4.6 avg), 0 TD, 0 Fumbles

2008: 125 Attempts, 803 Yards (6.4 avg), 7 TD, 0 Fumbles

2009: 220 Attempts, 1147 Yards (5.2 avg), 9 TD, 0 Fumbles

2010: 188 Attempts, 1245 Yards (6.6 avg), 11 TD, 0 Fumbles

Totals: 578 Attempts, 3404 Yards (5.9 avg), 27 TD, 0 Fumbles

The ball's in Torrain's court to stay healthy. If not, either Helu or Royster will get a shot to be the man. I like our chances of finding our Future RB in a healthy Torrain, Helu and Royster. One thing that no one can question is Shanahan's ability to pick up RBs. The fact that he traded up to get Helu has me giddy

I like Helu Jr. a ton. I just think we reached to get him. I am glad we did and it's good to know that Shanny and Turner are on board. I think he gets around 500 to 600 rushing yards this season if not more. JMO.:)

I don't feel we reached at all considering 5 RB's were drafted prior our original 4th rd. pick.

I'm going out on a limb and making a prediction.

If the league plays all 16 games, and he's not injured, Helu will have 1347 yards and 8 TDs.

---------- Post added May-7th-2011 at 01:23 AM ----------

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/388026/roy-helu-jr

If you don't want to click the link:

2007: 45 Attempts, 209 Yards (4.6 avg), 0 TD, 0 Fumbles

2008: 125 Attempts, 803 Yards (6.4 avg), 7 TD, 0 Fumbles

2009: 220 Attempts, 1147 Yards (5.2 avg), 9 TD, 0 Fumbles

2010: 188 Attempts, 1245 Yards (6.6 avg), 11 TD, 0 Fumbles

Helu has fumbled before.

http://www.fantasysp.com/player/cfb/Roy_Helu/600259

I LOVE THE HELU PICK..like i said, hes the best one cut runner in the draft, and with him we got a back that fits our scheme AS WELL AS MUCH NEEDED SPEED/change of pace...he has tons of upside, but idk why so many ppl are so high on Royster...every year rbs are drafted,and drafted and fail..I PREDICT, royster will be out of the league in 2-3 seasons..i just dont see any more potential or upside than what hes shown in college..maybe a season or two ago he would've been projected higher, but as of now, i dont see him getting better, hes slow, has over 1700 carries, has nothing that stands out in his game, i mean of course he could be a servicable player, hence u know gaining 200-400 yrads, a td or two...but there were other backs that i think had potential to become a stud or star in this game in the draft, as well as other positions of need w/ much more value to help impact our team.. ne ways, i just think royster was a wasted pick and WILL NOT AMOUNT TO ANYTING IN THE NFL..

.i just think to many ppl are writing off A Brown,Davis(who i like),Keiland very solid, and C simpson...I honestly like Torrain,Helu,Davis, and Brown. . Tough between Keiland and Brown

I know TerrifNick already linked to an article about Helu fumbling before, but I thought I'd let you see for yourself.

I remember the game because it was one of the ugliest games I've watched in recent memory.

I LOVE THE HELU PICK..like i said, hes the best one cut runner in the draft, and with him we got a back that fits our scheme AS WELL AS MUCH NEEDED SPEED/change of pace...he has tons of upside, but idk why so many ppl are so high on Royster...every year rbs are drafted,and drafted and fail..I PREDICT, royster will be out of the league in 2-3 seasons..i just dont see any more potential or upside than what hes shown in college..maybe a season or two ago he would've been projected higher, but as of now, i dont see him getting better, hes slow, has over 1700 carries, has nothing that stands out in his game, i mean of course he could be a servicable player, hence u know gaining 200-400 yrads, a td or two...but there were other backs that i think had potential to become a stud or star in this game in the draft, as well as other positions of need w/ much more value to help impact our team.. ne ways, i just think royster was a wasted pick and WILL NOT AMOUNT TO ANYTING IN THE NFL..

.i just think to many ppl are writing off A Brown,Davis(who i like),Keiland very solid, and C simpson...I honestly like Torrain,Helu,Davis, and Brown. . Tough between Keiland and Brown

I read in some analyst, that Royster has pretty good receiving and blocking skills....ideal for being our 3rd down back?? I mean Keiland was not that great last year....

He might be "the" perfect back for the Shanny system. The fact that he has never fumbled is amazing and refreshing. People are complaining about bench press why? How does bench pressing help you be a better RB?

I think the kids speed is underrated. Straight-line speed is adequate, but look at the combined last 6 years of combine results from the speed AND agility drills - the 3-cone drill, 20-yard shuttle, and 60-yard shuttle - and tell me this guy can't make a cut and go:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2006-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011&workout=THREE_CONE_DRILL&position=RB

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2006-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011&workout=TWENTY_YARD_SHUTTLE&position=RB

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2006-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011&workout=SIXTY_YARD_SHUTTLE&position=RB

With the way that Shanahan has a knack for drafting successful running backs, I could see Helu turning into a future star in the system. Bigger question in my opinion would be who will get cut since we certainly will not go with four RB's.

For all those that harp on 40 times, they mean jack diddly piss if you can't apply that speed on the field. Jerry Rice ran around a 4.6, but would you question his ability to be a successful receiver.

Speed, like strength, is only good if you know how to use it. Stop being Al Davis.

Completely agree.

The 40 time is the most overhyped useless stat in football.

The only guy who is going to run 40 yards unmolested is covering a kickoff.

Now, the 40 time can show you possible breakaway speed once the initial contain is broken, but almost 100% of the time, someone or something is going to hit or bump or divert a runner.

I like what i see in Helu's one cut ability. He can hit that gap and hit the jets.

I like Royster, too,, but I'm a PSU fan, so I'm predisposed. He is a workhorse, he has good balance in the hole, he can bounce off tacklers.

~Bang

I actually love Rosyter alot more than Helu. I like them both nonetheless but Royster is quicker and has better "field speed" than Helu. Really love how we are stacking up the RB position. You can not have enough competition and depth at that position.

That being said....we really need to pick up a guy from the MIA hurricanes that was looked at as a 2nd round pick but his stock dropped and he fell out the draft due to an ACL tear (he can possibly bounce back and bring great value to a team). He goes by the name of Craig Cooper.

It looks like he has great vision for Mike's ZBS like Royster and Helu so I'd be happy if we brought him in. There were already reports from pro football weekly that agents were already contacted from plenty team reps so there are already pre-meditated deals ready to go down after the CBA bs.

Archived