Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could Roy Helu be a future star? Or wasted pick?

skinofwar

It is hard not to trust Shanahan with RBs, since he generally gets production out of them. Then again, he hasn't found a great one since he drafted Portis.

The main concern that I see with Helu is his lack of physicality for a back his size. It is an aspect we don't have much of on this team.

I don't know if a yes/no applies here, lol.

I had Helu as a target. This is a perfect system for him. I like that we moved up to secure him, tells you a little that Shanahan REALLY wanted this guy. He will be a stud for us.

---------- Post added April-30th-2011 at 06:17 PM ----------

It is hard not to trust Shanahan with RBs, since he generally gets production out of them. Then again, he hasn't found a great one since he drafted Portis.

The main concern that I see with Helu is his lack of physicality for a back his size. It is an aspect we don't have much of on this team.

He did unearth Hillis. That's a pretty huge find.

He looks good in open space which Portis did not, but it doesn't appear to me that he breaks many tackles and to me that could be a big problem as our OL has just not gotten the job done. His highlights to me look marginable.

I hope I'm proved wrong, but I see Torrain being a better overall back.

won't be a star but won't be wasted pick. I don't want us to do the 25 carries per game thing anymore. I like the idea of building a committee of 2-3 runners and he could fit great with Torrain.

---------- Post added April-30th-2011 at 02:28 PM ----------

poor man's Chris Johnson.....I like him

Actually, Chris Johnson is a rich man's Roy Helu. :ols:

I just watched some video on youtube against Missouri and this kid looks like he could be a perfect for 3rd down long yard situations. He reminds me of little Joe Washington from a few years back.

He is known for being a terrible pass blocking back which limits his usefulness on 3rd down.

The only way this guy is a "future star" is if the OLine can be good enough to allow him to run a one cut system successfully. The OL still concerns me though. We don't have a starting Right Tackle under contract IMO for next year.

Archived