Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could Roy Helu be a future star? Or wasted pick?

skinofwar

Remember that Shanahan said he thinks of the Practice Squad as an extension of the roster/depth chart...so I wouldn't be surprised to see Royster there. Look at guys pulled up from there and almost instantly put on the field this past season. To Shanahan, those are just 8 extra roster spots for really young guys.

I personally think Keiland will be on the PS or gone, He just did not seem that good

Anyone who actually watches college football can see that Helu has the tools to be a great running back in this system. Just watch his vision when he makes cuts behind the line and his quickness to stretch the field. He didn't pass block a lot, so could definitely use some practice/coaching there...but yes I honestly believe he can be a quality producing running back for the Skins. Those that wanna hate seem to just be pissy about the draft in general and wanna complain just to complain...get over it. Some people are sooooo jaded.

I personally think Keiland will be on the PS or gone, He just did not seem that good

I'm pretty sure Williams has lost his practice squad eligibility.

Not sold on Helu. He is NOT fast enogh. Would have preferred Del'Ray Scott, a true burner!

You never cease to amaze me, mi6. :doh:

Helu has decent enough speed. People need to stop harping on this. I'lll take vision and balance over break away speed any day of the week. Arian Foster runs a 4.60 40.... Hell Terrel Davis ran like 4.7.

Helu has decent enough speed. People need to stop harping on this. I'lll take vision and balance over break away speed any day of the week. Arian Foster runs a 4.60 40.... Hell Terrel Davis ran like 4.7.

The worst thing about it, honestly, is that Helu is damn near as fast as Scott even in a 40 yard dash. Helu's been clocked between 4.34 and 4.52, Scott has been clocked between 4.29 and 4.46. Five or six hundredths of a second is nothing.

I loved the pick after watching Helu's highlights on youtube! Portis has not had the legs to break a long run over 12 yards in several years. Helu should be a great rotation with Torain and Royster (third-down back).

Thanks Shanaha and Bruce Allen for turning this team around!

It's hysterical that there are people who actually have the arrogance to post that they don't like Helu or Royster skills or talent, call them reaches or poor choices and then pimp some guy from Hawaii. Really? You or Mike Shanahan? I wonder which one actually knows a thing or two about runningbacks?

Im sure its been said already in this thread, but ill say it again for all you guys agonizing over the "wasted" 5th round picks. This is SHANAHAN who wanted him, and got him. The guy is arguably the best in the business at finding late round talent at RB that wouldn't even make most teams. Shanny does it regularly, and cranks out 1000 yd rushers like he's got a secret RB factory hidden somewhere.

So with that being said, barring injury Helu will do just fine.

So those of you worried that Helu will suck, you can get your passies and blankies, and go back to your regularly scheduled bickering over how many superbowls Luck will win and how Shanny should quit worrying about drafting players, and start figuring a way to tank the season for superman. :/

I get so sick of the how dare you question coach blanks ability to evaluate talent line. Shanahan is a great coach and I'm happy to have him here (thrilled really) but he also pick Maurice clarrett in the 3rd I believe, the kid from OK state early can't even remember his name. Mike will miss, I believe he did this time as well. Most of the Picks I'm good with, don't like the rbs and safety. Hankerson looks like a good pick the other sound good but I haven't really seen them play so I'll hold off on them.

People it's ok to believe your own eyes, you may think helu and royster are studs and that's fine, just please make your own opinion instead of getting herded around like sheep.

I get so sick of the how dare you question coach blanks ability to evaluate talent line. Shanahan is a great coach and I'm happy to have him here (thrilled really) but he also pick Maurice clarrett in the 3rd I believe, the kid from OK state early can't even remember his name. Mike will miss, I believe he did this time as well. Most of the Picks I'm good with, don't like the rbs and safety. Hankerson looks like a good pick the other sound good but I haven't really seen them play so I'll hold off on them.

People it's ok to believe your own eyes, you may think helu and royster are studs and that's fine, just please make your own opinion instead of getting herded around like sheep.

Terrel Davis, Clinton Portis, Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Tatum Bell and Rueben Droughns say otherwise. (droughns wasn't drafted by Shanny, he was a FA but still ran for 1000 yds 2x)

vs. Maurice Clarett and Quentin Griffin.

How is trusting in the odds of him finding a good rb vs a not so good one getting herded around like sheep??

Helu - 578 career carries - 5.9 YPC (6.62 YPC and a touchdown every 17 carries last year)

Royster - 686 career carries - 5.73 YPC (413 carries in the last two years ALONE, not to mention the all time rushing record for Penn State)

1,264 carries between them. They may both end up being busts, but the only way they're voluntarily leaving the field is on a stretcher. This is smart drafting.

From the videos I've watched of Helu, I think he definitely has the potential to be a star in Shanny's offense. I don't about being a long-term star, but at least the next Shanny star RB (low rounder who has a couple 1000+ yard seasons). Honestly, with Torain and him, I feel like we're set at RB for at least a couple seasons. I don't know who the #3 will be though-- Keiland Williams is serviceable as a #3, Royster has potential but I wouldn't say top-end talent, and there's James Davis too, so we'll probably see a competition for that last spot.

All the great backs at Penn State, how many of them where there as long as royster, how'd they do in the NFL?

I like helu better, he had less to work with at Nebraska. Royster was behind a really good line with a staff committed to the ground. You would think helu could say the same given last year and the husker tradition, but Callahan really killed that program.

On a side note pelinie (sp?) is doing a good job rebuilding, still needs some help on the ol.

just my opinion, i just dont have faith in royster...he was a wasted pick in my eyes, i love helu tho...hes the best one cut rb in the draft, which portis was, and helu has similar traits to portis in terms of speed, and one cut abilty. . we just need that portis blocking in helu...royster hes a penn state rb, i know i know, but that means something to me...he doens't show ne more upside than what he did in college.. i dont see him EVER being a impact player nor a starter, i think hell be out of hte league in a like 2-3 seasons, all in favor of helu, just not sold or will be on royster..my opinion...and jones has alot of upside, he just needs to be worked on, thats called a project w/ UPSIDE AND POTENTIAL TO BE A STAR, and green is also just like portis, just watch his highlights, u might easily mistake him for cpo...and idc if hes from hawaii...that doesn't take away from his ability to play rb..and i guarantee the packers or going to utilize that man,and hell have a better career than royster. . if i could id bet everyting on the statement that royster will never make an impact on an nfl team and hell be out of the league in a few seasons. . there was better depth and talent at the same/other positions in the 6th over royster....MY OPINION...disagree and agree, its w/e

Helu looks good to me. He is easily our fastest RB now. Shanny compared him to CP, which is music to my ears.

I have to disagree with that. If you watch some film of Royster, you have to be impressed. He is not particularly fast, or particularly strong, but he is a natural. He is patient, follows his blocks, sees the field, and gets every yard that is there to be gotten. The way he glides, it looks like he is barely moving, but then you look up and he just gained 20 or 30 yards. Numbers don't lie, and his numbers are impressive. Whatever you think of Penn State, to set the records he did at a school with so much football history is impressive.

well...THE HISTORY OF PENN STATE RBS, speaks for itself, this kid royster has no more upsid ein my opinion, i feel hes maxed his potential out in which he did at the collegiate level, most backs who play 4 years and have a great career aren't usually impact rbs in the nfl, royster has over 1700 carries, hes slow, and i know hes patient, but its a wasted pick, i guarantee royster will not be in the nfl in 2-3 season, or at least a rb who plays or has a n impact, we could have easily drafted towards a better position/player/talen/value etc...The thing is i reallydont care about his number in college, college numbers for backs always look great, u can take all the rbs and look at there stats, and they all seem good on paper.. but roysters upside, there is none, hes a classic style rb w/ his mediocre speed and running style, LISTEN...my opinion, wasted pick, he wont amount to anything, and will not even be a factor ever in his career. . he wont even make the tema... we dont need 3 rbs who are all similar...we NEEDED CHANGE OF PACE...helu is a one cut runner, we need a slasher w/ speed...Taiwon Jones wouldve been that speed, or Scott...jaquizz, etc... id rather have jordan toddman over royster...ne ways...Green from Hawaii, if were going to get a rb thats slower than 4.5...green from hawaii...check him out...identical to young clinton portis, well he definitely reminds me of him..

---------- Post added May-5th-2011 at 12:11 AM ----------

Not sold on Helu. He is NOT fast enogh. Would have preferred Del'Ray Scott, a true burner!

first of all...Helu was chosen over scott, because he is way beyond Scott as a true running back. Helu fits our scheme very well and posses speed in the 4.4, Hes the best one cut back in the draft, which is very impt for a zone blocking scheme, he was a perfect fit for our philosophy.. your only infatuated with scott because of the combine, he really showed nothing of potential or great upside in his career. If nething if you want speed w/ potential as a natural RB than can be a home run threat, you look at TAIWON JONES, reminds me chris johnson...also Jaquizz rodgers, lets not also forget clinton portis was a similar back to helu, just a lil slower (helu) portis was successful because of his one cut abilty, which helu posseses, but if u want to see a mirror of clinton portis, look at Green from Hawaii, id love to have drafted him... ne ways, yahhhh your hcoice for scott over helu is just dumb, "true burner" yah thats exactly what we need, Helu mirrors portis, and tahts exactly the type of rb we need, healthy tho. .

check youtube....take at look at Helu run and you'll take his name off your list....a gazelle comes to mind...dude got some wheels...

They should ahve never traded up for him. Should have kept their 3 picks

moves I do not like so far. These were all over reaches IMHO

Jarvis Jenkins

Roy Helu

Dejon Gomes

I can't believe anyone being down on Helu. I'll admit I was shocked when I saw we moved up to get a RB when I was thinking we'd go O-line (Shanny seems to have a knack for drafting lineman and running backs in the middle rounds) but that was because I don't pay too much attention to college football and hadn't see him play. After watching several films on Helu, I think he could be great for us. He seems to always be moving straight ahead and seems to see the hole extremely quickly and then hits it FLYING. He's got dangerous speed and that's something we haven't had in a long time. I see what others see as well, he is not incredibly shifty nor does he look like someone who is going to break a lot of tackles in a bruising manner but he doesn't need to. This offense is built to open the initial hole so that if a back can hit it hard and get through before linebackers react then he's got a shot to beat the secondary and Helu is perfect for that.

Our offensive line was opening up some pretty good holes late last year and the reason our running game seemed to fade in second halfs (i.e. when Torain had 170 in the first half) was due to playcalling going completely to the passing game, not because the line was no longer opening holes. Shanahan continues to preach that he has a plan to address our other needs and while everyone knows we are going to target the right side of our line and that we have several options in FA, everyone continues to say we're screwed there.

Royster also looks like a very complete back in terms of decent speed, shiftiness, power and is just a very natural runner.

I just cannot see anyway Torain, Helu and Royster are not our 3 top backs this year and I'm planning on seeing a lot of the latter two with Torain's injury concerns. I like Keiland Williams last year and he's a good third down back but he just does not possess the ability that Helu and Royster do.

Again, Helu does not need to be a bruiser, he identifies and hits the hole fast enough that even if it is filled he's going to get at least to the hole rather than see it filled first and he's going to get yards with the potential to be the first guy there and get off to the races. Torain is our bruiser and they compliment each other very well. Helu also is a guy with good hands catching out of the backfield and I'm not that concerned about his blocking - he doesn't need to be Portis he simply needs to be good enough for now and I'm sure the coaches will work with him.

I'm saying worst case scenario Helu is a serviceable starter or change of pace guy and I'm leaning towards him being a potential star for us. I love that we got him and Royster, I think they are the future for us at running back. I've also heard Helu never fumbled the ball in his career. Impressive.

For all those that harp on 40 times, they mean jack diddly piss if you can't apply that speed on the field. Jerry Rice ran around a 4.6, but would you question his ability to be a successful receiver.

Speed, like strength, is only good if you know how to use it. Stop being Al Davis.

Archived