Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to DC Ryan.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

If 97 can make the transition to 3-4 DE, our front 7 would go from a liability to an actual decent unit over the course of one pick.
Hes been losing weight to gain some speed. I think he weighs 265 now. I like Jarmon and Carriker at end. I hope we can address the nosetackle position somewhere.

Rak's gotta get better in coverage now though...

---------- Post added April-28th-2011 at 10:59 PM ----------

Hes been losing weight to gain some speed. I think he weighs 265 now. I like Jarmon and Carriker at end. I hope we can address the nosetackle position somewhere.

Maybe move Zo to ILB then...

I think this guy is a great pick. Most people looking for an OLB pass rusher in the first round are instinctively looking for that blind side speed rusher which kerrigan is, but is not the premier one available. Kerrigan seems like the perfect fit for a team who already has an Orakpo to be the primary OLB rusher while Kerrigan looks stong against the Point of attack and can play the run. He reminds me of a woodley type player, a perfect compliment for RAK. Blue collar guy getting it done on the other side.

Considering we picked up another second as well, this is looking to be an amazing draft.

Congrats Shanny and co.

From NFLDraftRivals:

Summary: Good-sized, consistent, highly productive, power-effort rusher whose motor stands out on tape. Is not an elite athlete but is a low-risk prospect who will give a team confidence knowing it is getting a relentless, character player who will maximize his potential. Comes from a school that has produced as many NFL pass rushers as any other in recent years.

I'd like to say, in an interview (I'll post the link when I can find it) Ryan said he and his college coaches expected him to end up in a 3-4 as an OLB in the NFL, so he practiced OLB everyday in practice.

He's not slow (4.67 compared to Orakpo's 4.62), he's relentless getting to the ball carrier, which is often the QB (25 sacks in the last 2 years: 12 in 2009 and 13 in 2010, to go along with 7 in 2008), he was one of Purdue's captains and is a great character guy, crazy hard worker, and will be a great fit at OLB.

We're going to have an awesome 10 years of watching QB's looking left and right and wetting their pants not knowing which one of our book-end beasts of defense are coming to kill them.

I LOVE this pick and I liked Ryan previously but figured we'd never end up with him (since I thought we were picking a QB or Quinn at #10), of course, I loved Orakpo but never thought we'd have a chance of getting him either. :D

Very happy about this. Welcome to DC Ryan, I can't wait to see you and Rak meet with Tony Romo sits to pee in between.

Totally forgot the draft was today. Nice to see they picked a solid dude and aquired an extra pick - don't remember the last time the Skins traded down and they sure needed to this time. I knew all that JLC stuff was bull****. Smart picking for the D. As bad as the offense has been the D has been worse.

This is a great pick. Fills a need the Skins definitely have, will generate more of a pass rush AND it may be fun to play a drinking game to see how many times Kerrigan & Orakpo get held (and it doesn't get called). If one gets held, take a sip. If BOTH get held on the same play and it isn't called, finish your drink.

I firmly believe TN altered our plans by taking Coach Mikes guy (Gabbert? When are some of you gona' learn to not believe ONE word that charlatan JLC say's); not a bad comeback. An extra high pick, and a position of need filled. Here's to more of the same in the remaining rounds.

If Mike Shanahan was going to pick Locker at #10, then the Redskins are very fortunate. This is like 3 picks in 1:

1. Not drafting Locker? He's the death card of draft picks. I'll count this as a free #1 pick, for damage not done.
  2. Ryan Kerrigan? Seems like a great high-motor guy, with upside in the mold of Clay Matthews. Very fast closing speed. Considering what we got out of Landry when playing closer to the line, I think a guy with speed and closing ability and the ability to force fumbles can have a lot of impact in this defense. Don't be surprised if he ends up with more impact than Orakpo.
  3. Free 2nd rounder? I'll take it. Lots of possibilities now for round 2.

I like the maturity of the trade-back and the pick so far. I'm thrilled beyond belief not to draft Locker at #10.

Welcome to the Redskins, Ryan!

This is a great pick. Fills a need the Skins definitely have, will generate more of a pass rush AND it may be fun to play a drinking game to see how many times Kerrigan & Orakpo get held (and it doesn't get called). If one gets held, take a sip. If BOTH get held on the same play and it isn't called, finish your drink.

It's harder to get away with holding 2 dudes than 1. I really don't think it was some kind of conspiracy - OLs will always get away with SOME stuff, and the ref can't see everything.

Kerrigan's a safe pick. He won't be a star but he'll be a solid, productive player. The best part of the night was moving down and picking up an additional 2nd. We don't need to gamble on stars, we need to build up on quality football players. Hopefully the two 2nd round picks can land us another couple Kerrigan-esque types.

Lovin' all the Redskins' Tweets:

London Fletcher: And The Skins trade back!

Anthony Armstrong: Ooooo trade!

Phillip Daniels: Skins trade down. Good move.

Phillip Daniels: I like Kerrigan.

London Fletcher: Don’t know much about Ryan Kerrigan,seems talented with high motor & relentless effort. Can’t wait 4 him 2 buy me breakfast sandwiches! welcome to the Redskins! Let’s get it!

Anthony Armstrong: Congrats to Ryan Kerrigan, welcome to #RedskinsNation & the best fans in the #NFL Get ready to go to work!

Phillip Daniels: I love the pick. Kerrigan is a really good player with a very high motor. I guess [critics] never saw him play. Took over some games single handed.

Brian Orakpo: Tell me what yall think Redskin Nation? Congrats to @RyanKerrigan94 see u soon HTTR!

Chris Cooley: happy with us trading down and the pick we took....Got to meet the kid. I’m excited and think we made some good decisions today.

Chris Cooley: I’m pumped. Glad we got some more picks and excited about Ryan. Good first round for us.

Welcome to one of the most storied franchises in sports young man! I believe this will be a tremendous fit with Rak on the other side. Now all we need is NA to lock down the CB position opposite D Hall and I believe our defense is well on its way to becoming elite. God bless... now go give'em hell! HTTR!

Archived