Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

yahoo.com: Outrage around homeless mom charged for sending son to better school (20 years in prison, $15,000 fine?!?!)

Toe Jam

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110425/us_yblog_thelookout/rally-for-prosecuted-homeless-mom-who-sent-son-to-a-better-school-district

Education activists are rallying around a homeless woman who may face jail time for enrolling her son in kindergarten under a friend's address. Supporters say the woman's story is yet another dismaying example of inequality in the U.S. education system.

Tanya McDowell, a homeless single mother from Bridgeport, is charged with first-degree larceny and conspiracy to commit first-degree larceny for signing up her 5-year-old son to attend nearby Norwalk schools under the address of a friend. (Her son went to the school for four months. Her friend has been evicted from public housing for letting McDowell use her address.) McDowell may face up to 20 years in prison and a $15,000 fine if convicted.

Gwen Samuel, a Connecticut education activist, is organizing a press conference to try to get the charges dropped and raise awareness about parents who are criminally prosecuted, rather than dealt with individually by the school district, for using false addresses.

She says she expects a few hundred people to show up at Norwalk superior court at 9 a.m. Wednesday, including Kelley Williams-Bolar (pictured), the Akron, Ohio-based mom who made national news in January, when she was jailed for using her father's address to send her kids to a better-performing school. Bolar's story ignited a debate about inequalities in the public education system, where poorer parents must send their kids to poorer schools because much of the funding is on the local level.

"This will continue to happen--this will set a precedent and districts will be like, 'OK I found a new way to get my money back, let's go after them,'" Samuel tells The Lookout.

Boyce Watkins, a Syracuse university professor and activist, tells The Lookout that Williams-Bolar heard about McDowell's case and wanted to support her. "Kelley called me and said, 'I can't believe they're doing this to her, how can I help?'" She's now on her way to Connecticut, and her trip is paid for by Samuel's newly founded non-profit Connecticut Parents Union.

"First it happens to Kelley, then it happens to Tanya--they both happen to be poor black mothers trying to find a way to provide a better life for their children," Watkins said.

Samuel says McDowell "absolutely" sent her son to the Norwalk kindergarten because she knew it was better than the schools in nearby Bridgeport. "If you could see ... where he is now compared to Brookside, you'd see why I chose Norwalk," McDowell told the Daily Norwalk of her son's new school, Thomas Hooker Elementary School in Bridgeport.

She has to get some sort of punishment for the prosecution can save face. She'll get probation or community service, but no fine or jail time. Poorer districts have less tax money coming in so they don’t have as much tax money to spend on education. Is it morally right? Probably not. Is it mathematically fair? Yes, it's simple economics. Why do you think people choose to live in nicer areas if they can.........b/c there are more benefits than living in squalor. The same goes with schools. If the state had a "do-over" they wouldn’t prosecute this woman because of the $hit storm that is going to come down on them over this.

She has to get some sort of punishment for the prosecution can save face. She'll get probation or community service, but no fine or jail time. Poorer districts have less tax money coming in so they don’t have as much tax money to spend on education. Is it morally right? Probably not. Is it mathematically fair? Yes, it's simple economics. Why do you think people choose to live in nicer areas if they can.........b/c there are more benefits than living in squalor. The same goes with schools. If the state had a "do-over" they wouldn’t prosecute this woman because of the $hit storm that is going to come down on them over this.

DC spends much more per student than Fairfax County - how come people aren't doing whatever they can to send their kids to DC schools?

DC spends much more per student than Fairfax County - how come people aren't doing whatever they can to send their kids to DC schools?

because it's more about the school climate, largely influenced by the student / parent population and obviously admin. and teachers that really make a school work / not work. schools don't work without supportive, caring and involved parents or with administrators who don't live the job.

because it's more about the school climate, largely influenced by the student / parent population and obviously admin. and teachers that really make a school work / not work. schools don't work without supportive, caring and involved parents or with administrators who don't live the job.

Exactly. Everyone seems to think you just throw money at a school to make it better. Parents and the community make the school, not how much money you spend (DC proves that).

This is ridiculous.

Sure, she shouldn't do this, but good grief.

To channel my inner Honorary Hog for a moment,, they do less to illegal immigrants than they are doing to this lady. (even illegals who commit crimes seem to get less harsh treatment.)

And that's just ridiculous.

~Bang

Exactly. Everyone seems to think you just throw money at a school to make it better. Parents and the community make the school, not how much money you spend (DC proves that).

not everyone thinks that. some people naively think firing teachers because of low test scores is the answer.

---------- Post added April-26th-2011 at 09:22 AM ----------

i could be wrong, but this could go against the mckinney-vento homeless assistance act of 2001. the only thing that clouds that in my mind is the use of someone else's address. either way, bad move charging this woman in this way.

As a homeless person and a 'public school' why can't she put her kid in any school?

The correct response should have been to put her in a homeless shelter in that district = fixed for the better.

Their plan was to create 2 homeless people + legal costs through the hypothetical roof.

Working where I do,I've noticed that for some,the sense of community ends as soon as taxes are paid.

This is ridiculous.

Sure, she shouldn't do this, but good grief.

To channel my inner Honorary Hog for a moment,, they do less to illegal immigrants than they are doing to this lady. (even illegals who commit crimes seem to get less harsh treatment.)

And that's just ridiculous.

~Bang

I laughed. :)

But you're right. While I understand the concept of this law, hammering the hell out of this woman for trying to provide a better life for her child than she's had is ridiculous.

Slap her wrist, and call it good enough.

I laughed. :)

But you're right. While I understand the concept of this law, hammering the hell out of this woman for trying to provide a better life for her child than she's had is ridiculous.

Slap her wrist, and call it good enough.

Well my channeling wasn't meant to be a shot,, this is right up the alley of what you talk about, and it's a prime example of the imbalance that exists.

Frankly, I'd say let her son go to the school. I don't think she's trying to cheat the system, I think she's a desperate woman in a tough situation trying to do her best for her child. The worst that could happen is he has a better chance to earn a shot at a better life. It's not like setting a precedent like this will attract homeless people (unless they have kids in need of an education, and that's not your typical "bum" homeless person.)

~Bang

Y'know, the more I think about this, the more I realize the hypocricy of my position. I'm all for slapping her wrist because she's just seeking a better life for her child. But I don't have the same view on illegal immigrants; though the goal is usually the same.

*steps away for a little mental turmoil*

Y'know, the more I think about this, the more I realize the hypocricy of my position. I'm all for slapping her wrist because she's just seeking a better life for her child. But I don't have the same view on illegal immigrants; though the goal is usually the same.

The line for where everyone's individual sense of self-interest kicks in is awfully arbitrary as it is. Your ass is covered if you can do a little math and justify the costs in somewhat of a cold-hearted manner, rationalizing the discrepancy in viewpoint through a difference in monetary burden on the system (and, by proxy, yourself). You're in trouble if you can't manage to do that, though, because that means you're just plain prejudiced :pfft:

The line for where everyone's individual sense of self-interest kicks in is awfully arbitrary as it is. Your ass is covered if you can do a little math and justify the costs in somewhat of a cold-hearted manner, rationalizing the discrepancy in viewpoint through a difference in monetary burden on the system (and, by proxy, yourself). You're in trouble if you can't manage to do that, though, because that means you're just plain prejudiced :pfft:

hog'll be back in 30 minutes. he's headed to wal mart to buy a calculator.

Interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing what you conclude, HH.

People assume the money is going to actual education. And maybe that specific grant or bill does, but the difference in price is usually other stuff.

Schools have different demands. In an inner-city school, things like extra security, metal detectors, free lunch programs, ESOL, police and emergency calls.... etc. A school in a better area doesn't need a gang intervention task force or a homeless advocate.

I assume they also get grants for stuff like that, but those costs are very high.

Tuesday, April 26th 2011. The day Honorary_Hog realized everybody was indeed correct about him; he is a racist.

:pfft:

Archived