Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

yahoo.com: Outrage around homeless mom charged for sending son to better school (20 years in prison, $15,000 fine?!?!)

Toe Jam

Y'know, the more I think about this, the more I realize the hypocricy of my position. I'm all for slapping her wrist because she's just seeking a better life for her child. But I don't have the same view on illegal immigrants; though the goal is usually the same.

*steps away for a little mental turmoil*

The willingness to even consider this is why I think you're one of the best contributors to the forum.

Kudos!

~Bang

Good on H_H.

And this woman isn't going to get 20 years in prison or a massive fine. That's just the maximum possible penalty for first degree larceny. Unless the Judge is insane, she probably isn't going to get any jail time or fine at all.

(that is - unless this law has a mandatory minimum sentence provision - And anyone who supports mandatory minimums should remember this case the next time the issue comes up in other contexts)

Y'know, the more I think about this, the more I realize the hypocricy of my position. I'm all for slapping her wrist because she's just seeking a better life for her child. But I don't have the same view on illegal immigrants; though the goal is usually the same.

*steps away for a little mental turmoil*

technical point of view:

She's legal and we expect family/friends to take you in during recessions of this magnitude?

She could have also gotten arrested for not having her kid in school . (Catch22?)

Personal point of view

I pay for 4children in school supplies and have 2children, if people without a job can't put their kids in school why the hell am I paying for this?

also, the friend lived near the now homeless woman so her address was used: and if the child is hurt or paperwork is sent (home) where would you send it.

We do realize that communication between the school and the parent is just as important if not more than the qualifications of the teacher?

The more you drill down into the details of this, the more you realize the prosecution is not only wrong in this case.

It's going against its own charter for public school systems.

"Section 53a-119 defines the crime of larceny and sets out a nonexclusive list of ways in which that offense may be committed. One determinant of the grade of the offense of larceny is the value of the property stolen. Under our statutory scheme, the grades of that offense range from first degree larceny, which includes thefts of property exceeding $10,000 in value

First Degree Larceny? Could someone explain what exactly was 'taken'.

Kindergarten supplies:

1. One 2 pocket folder- Please make sure that you purchase a sturdy folder.

2. Backpack- Your child will need to carry their backpack to school each day. (No backpacks with wheels, please.)

3. Paint Smock- I would recommend sending in an old, large shirt of Mom or Dad's to cover your child's clothing when we paint. The plastic paint smocks don't cover enough of your child's clothing and can be costly. Please be sure to label these so I can return them at the end of the year.

4. 2 boxes of Crayola crayons- 24 count

5. 2 bottles of Elmer's glue (4 oz. each)

6 1 blue two pocket folder (plain)

7. 1 red two pocket folder (plain)

8. 1 box of Ziplock baggies- gallon or quart size

9. 1 box of tissues

schedule:

Classroom: 8:00 A.M.

RECESS IN GYM: 10:00 A.M.

SNACK & RUG TIME: 10:30 A.M.

LUNCH & STORY TIME: 12:15 P.M.

RECESS IN SCHOOLYARD: 1:00 P.M.

DISMISSAL: 3:00 P.M.

I think we are over-valuing snack and rug time :)

Archived