Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Playstation 3 Network (PSN) Down

PSUHeckler

Valued PlayStation Network/Qriocity Customer:

We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this intrusion, we have:

Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;

Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and

Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.

rest of statement from psn http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/26/update-on-playstation-network-and-qriocity/

Don't sound to good

At what point does a company lose the ability to tell a user what they can do with the product said user purchased and now owns? Can Dell sue people for buying a laptop with 1 GB of RAM and upgrading it to 4 GB instead of paying them the extra amount to do it? Can HP sue people for installing Linux over the Windows 7 that came with the computer? At what point does the rights of the owner trump the interests of the company that no longer owns the machine? A video game console is nothing but a computer, so why is it treated differently?

Exactly! The issue comes down to owning the product. If you pay hundreds of dollars and BUY the product you can do whatever you want to your console. Now if Sony wants to have the final say on what you can do with your system then they need to drastically reduce the price and LEASE the system to you.

Regardless of that issue, it is Orwellian that they would go after individual IP addresses simply for information on a website.

Bookmark this page...it will update and let you know as soon as the network is back on.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1163788p1.html

I'm at work and NMCI won't let me access this page. Any news on it?

People have their personal info and cc info stolen because a network breach is not a joke by any means. If 360 had the same thing I happen I wouldn't be over saying, "HAHA paying to get hacked"

I have a credit card just for online stuff with a very low limit so I don't have to worry about it as much.

There was talk about the network possibly coming back up today....anybody heard anything?

I've been trolling all the forums this morning, but haven't seen anything..

I heard that too but still no luck, I tried today, I bet its going to take another week.

People have their personal info and cc info stolen because a network breach is not a joke by any means. If 360 had the same thing I happen I wouldn't be over saying, "HAHA paying to get hacked"

Won't have to.

Netflix does indeed work. Start the app, it'll prompt you to sign in, try to sign in, it will fail, if it prompts you again, try again, and when you get the error message, hit circle (cancel). All the titles should be showing up by then and you can watch whatever you want.

As for personal info - I never stored my CC on PSN, but I'm not happy about my first & last name, DOB and billing address being out there in the internet wilderness. There are a lot of articles about what to do in this situation, I'd suggest people call their banks and have them flag your accounts for fraud alerts (or any kind of heightened security they can do), see if they'll flag any transactions over a certain amount or at merchants with which you have no history. Sony sent out an e-mail suggesting contacting the three credit-reporting companies and contacting them to flag your report for fraud alerts and to be on the lookout for suspicious activity.

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/04/28/3585779/sony-says-stolen-playstation-credit.html

Sony says stolen PlayStation credit data encrypted

By BARBARA ORTUTAY

AP Technology Writer

Published: Thursday, Apr. 28, 2011 - 6:14 am

Last Modified: Thursday, Apr. 28, 2011 - 12:17 pm

NEW YORK -- Sony is telling PlayStation users that it had encrypted the credit card data that hackers may have stolen, reducing but not eliminating the chances that thieves could have used the information.

Sony Corp. said in a blog post Wednesday that while it had no direct evidence the data were even taken, it cannot rule out the possibility. It did not say how strong the encryption was, and it is possible for hackers to decipher files that are weakly encrypted - it's just more difficult.

"All of the data was protected, and access was restricted both physically and through the perimeter and security of the network. The entire credit card table was encrypted and we have no evidence that credit card data was taken," the company wrote in its blog post.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/04/28/3585779/sony-says-stolen-playstation-credit.html#ixzz1KqsS9qvm

Archived