Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Playstation 3 Network (PSN) Down

PSUHeckler

Not sure why people feel the need to piss on each other's fun/preferences...

Favorite sports teams, favorite system... Who cares? Just be loyal to your teams, home town or not, and enjoy the system your playing. Not sure why everyone has to jump on that high horse and preach ;)

Have you all seen this yet? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCDCbuOa744&feature=player_embedded

PSN Network Hacked! - Anonymous - Exclusive Details

that's good and all... except that they made that statement weeks ago during the attack they took credit for. here's that same statement uploaded on April 5th:

Anonymous has specifically stated they will not attack the PSN because that is a punishment to the users. Anonymous is fighting a war against Sony, not people who use Sony products. Again, I think Sony is trying to pin the blame on Anonymous for their servers going down while they redo their network to deflect anger away from themselves.

I can't believe Sony is going after every IP address of a website that showed how to jailbreak it. Wow. So glad I didn't buy their product.

Is this actually true? I haven't seen anything in the news about it.

Isn't Jailbreaking the system basically allowing it so people don't have to pay for services like games and what not? In my opinion they should go after these people that are stealing. It's just like downloading movies or music. Maybe I am not understanding it correctly.

Is this actually true? I haven't seen anything in the news about it.

Yes, this is true. The subpoenaed and got the IPs of all visitors to GeoHotz's site.

Isn't Jailbreaking the system basically allowing it so people don't have to pay for services like games and what not? In my opinion they should go after these people that are stealing. It's just like downloading movies or music. Maybe I am not understanding it correctly.

no, GeoHotz's hack did not allow pirating. There are other people out there who do make pirate hacks, but GeoHotz's was made to allow homebrew programs and I believe to return the OtherOS feature that Sony removed despite it being an advertised feature of their product.

Yes, this is true. The subpoenaed and got the IPs of all visitors to GeoHotz's site.

no, GeoHotz's hack did not allow pirating. There are other people out there who do make pirate hacks, but GeoHotz's was made to allow homebrew programs and I believe to return the OtherOS feature that Sony removed despite it being an advertised feature of their product.

I remember when Sony removed the OtherOS feature. I didn't really care for it, since I wasn't using that feature, which I bet more than 98% of playstation users didn't use either.

If this was a court order subpeona, something in the terms of conditions was definitely violated by this "jailbreak". Which in turn, Sony has every right to go after people that violated their terms and conditions. I will have to do some research into this. If it is true these are hackers going after Sony because of this, they are really only hurting the fellow gamers and consumers.

**After some review, it seems Sony went after this guy for teaching people how to circumvent the system to allowing them to run games and other software not authorized by Sony. While I don't agree with releasing information to people just visiting the site. I definitely agree with Sony on going after the actual hackers who clearly violated copyright laws.

I remember when Sony removed the OtherOS feature. I didn't really care for it, since I wasn't using that feature, which I bet more than 98% of playstation users didn't use either.

If this was a court order subpeona, something in the terms of conditions was definitely violated by this "jailbreak". Which in turn, Sony has every right to go after people that violated their terms and conditions. I will have to do some research into this. If it is true these are hackers going after Sony because of this, they are really only hurting the fellow gamers and consumers.

If you paid attention to Anonymous' message, they said they won't go after PSN because the gamers are not who they want to hurt. I think Sony had some things they wanted to do to their network, and decided to blame the down-time on Anonymous to gain public support. As for the merits of jailbreaking, the only difference between doing it to an iphone and a PS3 is that the PS3 is not a phone. Personally, I abhor the whole EULA thing that prevents you from doing as you wish to your own property. If I purchase something, then why should it be illegal for me to change it as I please?

I am not a PS3 owner, so this does not directly affect me, however I am a Wii owner and I have homebrew-hacked my console. I can do so much more with it now that its been hacked to run homebrew. I have a media center program to which I can stream music and video from a media server. It can also play DVD movies, which is a feature not included with the system. I've various emulators to play classic games like Sonic or Mario 64. I've got a Doom port that I can play with the Wiimote IR controls. I've got Dosbox to play old PC point-and-click adventures and other DOS games. Aside from those, there are also some original games like a 2D Portal clone, and a simple light-gun game. I've gotten a lot of use out of homebrew without pirating any games.

If you paid attention to Anonymous' message, they said they won't go after PSN because the gamers are not who they want to hurt. I think Sony had some things they wanted to do to their network, and decided to blame the down-time on Anonymous to gain public support. As for the merits of jailbreaking, the only difference between doing it to an iphone and a PS3 is that the PS3 is not a phone. Personally, I abhor the whole EULA thing that prevents you from doing as you wish to your own property. If I purchase something, then why should it be illegal for me to change it as I please?

I am not a PS3 owner, so this does not directly affect me, however I am a Wii owner and I have homebrew-hacked my console. I can do so much more with it now that its been hacked to run homebrew. I have a media center program to which I can stream music and video from a media server. It can also play DVD movies, which is a feature not included with the system. I've various emulators to play classic games like Sonic or Mario 64. I've got a Doom port that I can play with the Wiimote IR controls. I've got Dosbox to play old PC point-and-click adventures and other DOS games. Aside from those, there are also some original games like a 2D Portal clone, and a simple light-gun game. I've gotten a lot of use out of homebrew without pirating any games.

Sony may have had some down time to upgrade the system, but an unscheduled maintenance with no informed updates, all for a PR move is ridiculious and highly unlikely. This was an unexpected outage, whether it was due to hackers or even if it was this "Anonymous" group

As for your Wii, that's great you can expand your system to all of it's limits. But ultimately, you too, are violating the terms and conditions of the system. Now, in my own personal opinion, you should be able to do whatever you want to your system, as long as it doesn't effect other users or effect the company (i.e. pirated games, movies). Also, I believe jailbroken systems should not be allowed on online services offered by that systems company. For instance, I know Xbox users were banned for using "hacked" or "Jailbroken" systems for online advatages in certain games.

As in the case for this GeoHot guy, he posted a "how-to" video (and allegedly was receiving money for it), of course a big company is going to go after him.

Theoretically, Sony, Nintendo, Sega, and Microsoft could go after every person that is using the system in ways that was not intended - and they would win. Will they? Probably not...But posting a "How To Jailbreak" and flaunting around about how you beat the system is certianly a good way for that person to become a target. He,should spend less time on hacking a system, and more time finding a job developing the system, I can imagine a person with those skills would be pretty valuable to any company.

Theoretically, Sony, Nintendo, Sega, and Microsoft could go after every person that is using the system in ways that was not intended - and they would win. Will they? Probably not...But posting a "How To Jailbreak" and flaunting around about how you beat the system is certianly a good way for that person to become a target. He,should spend less time on hacking a system, and more time finding a job developing the system, I can imagine a person with those skills would be pretty valuable to any company.

At what point does a company lose the ability to tell a user what they can do with the product said user purchased and now owns? Can Dell sue people for buying a laptop with 1 GB of RAM and upgrading it to 4 GB instead of paying them the extra amount to do it? Can HP sue people for installing Linux over the Windows 7 that came with the computer? At what point does the rights of the owner trump the interests of the company that no longer owns the machine? A video game console is nothing but a computer, so why is it treated differently?

At what point does a company lose the ability to tell a user what they can do with the product said user purchased and now owns? Can Dell sue people for buying a laptop with 1 GB of RAM and upgrading it to 4 GB instead of paying them the extra amount to do it? Can HP sue people for installing Linux over the Windows 7 that came with the computer? At what point does the rights of the owner trump the interests of the company that no longer owns the machine? A video game console is nothing but a computer, so why is it treated differently?

First off, I agree with you, you should be able to upgrade anything on something you buy, just like upgrading a car. You will void the factory warranty if you do, but you can do whatever you want to it, as long as it's street legal.

I think the reason why it's treated differently is because it is a commodity that relies on future purchases, i.e. games. The intended purpose of these systems is to play video games, hence the terms and conditions. It's a very vague line, but these systems were not intended to be upgraded by the user, whereas a computer gives the user the ability to upgrade the system.

Again, I feel you should be able to upgrade the system as much as you want, you own you should be able to Mod it. But if you want to use capabilities offered by the company, you need to comply with their terms and conditions (i.e. PSN).

How is honefront ?

It's really fun. complete change of pace from Black Ops.

It has a "battle points" system for killstreaks, which is completely different than any FPS i've ever seen. You get points for killing people and capturing objectives. you keep your points even after you die. save up your points to call in air strikes or vehicles.

When KAOS finally sent out the patch to fix the PS3 problems, the PSN network went down a day later :ols:

Great game though, and I understand you can find it used pretty cheap. If you can find it for $20 something, I'd definitely suggest picking it up and giving it a go.

Archived