Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rumor - Redskins Already Have 2 Trade-Down Pacts In Place To Gain a 2nd Rounder

3 Rings

To stir the pot a little bit, we could be trading up for Von Miller which no one is really talking about.

+1... I've been reading through the past 5 pages and can't believe it took so long for someone to mention it. Clearly OLB is a priority because Quinn was supposedly at a time our #1 plausible target at 10.

Miller is a better compliment to Rak in my opinion because I have more confidence in him dropp into coverage.

Why do I feel like LL already knows exactly what we're doing in the draft?

---------- Post added April-25th-2011 at 05:08 PM ----------

But on a serious note, I'm a fan of trading down, but I would prefer to trade down from 41. I think at 10 we need to get Quinn, Jones or Watt as I believe all are rock solid and could contribute immediately.

+1... I've been reading through the past 5 pages and can't believe it took so long for someone to mention it. Clearly OLB is a priority because Quinn was supposedly at a time our #1 plausible target at 10.

Miller is a better compliment to Rak in my opinion because I have more confidence in him dropp into coverage.

This does make a lot of sense (well, as much as a trade up can.) I was thinking Green or Peterson, but Miller is right up there as well.

I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility. Likely? No. Possible? Definitely. But I do think one of them will fall out of the top 5.

Amukamara dropping to 10 isn't all that far-fetched. Unlikely, but it wouldn't be all that crazy if it happened. I wouldn't be upset with that pick, just because it'd be such a great value pick, but it would also up the potential for a trade down. The good thing about our spot is that there's A LOT of potential for one or more of the big names on either side of the ball to drop to us, giving us the option of either snagging a game-changer or getting some good trade-down offers.

IMO the only person worth trading up for in this draft is Petersen. There's just so many holes on this team and so many (especially defensive) impact players that we could grab at 10, that trading up for anyone else just seems foolish. Gabbert or Newton aren't good enough to trade up for if you are us. we have so few picks that every one of them we have is more precious. Sure, if you are new england, trade up, it won't hurt you and you can get a player of bigger impact. But us? There has to be a real genuine reason to do that and with this year's draft for a QB it just ain't there. If we were trading up to get Andrew Luck, yep, I get it. But trading up for Cam Newton is absolutely insane. Trading up for Gabbert is absolutely risky. (He's the best of a bad class).

Petersen on the other hand is a perrenial pro bowler in the making. He is the antidote to Desean Jackson for the REMAINDER OF HIS CAREER. Petersen is forcing Romo sits to pee, Manning and Vick to only work with half the field on every passing down. He can also score for you on defense and in the return game. Ironically, its not really an area of need. We could get Los, or any number of FA corners ou there to be serviceable. But talent wise, Petersen is the #1 player in this draft. If Carolina takes Cam first, and Petersen slides down to 4 or 5 and they go grab him, our secondary goes from strong with the addition of Atogwe, Dhall, Kevin Barnes at Nickle and Landry to ELITE with the addition of Patrick Petersen. He's literally the only guy in this draft I can justify trading up for.

Trading up for Von Miller seems silly as the drop off to Quinn, Ayers, Alson Smith etc, just isn't enough to make the move. You can grab a terrific 3-4 DE like Cam Jordan or JJ Watt etc by just staying at 10. Same with Qb's. Cam? No idea what you are getting but he looks like trouble to me.

Gabbert? underwhelming to say the least and I wouldn't bet my future on that kid. He would have been the fourth Qb off the board last year and the fourth off the board next year. He's #2 behind a guy who played one year, has off the field issues, and wants to be an "icon" already who ran a spread offense, ran more than he threw and can't recite one NFL caliber play when asked. I'm an attorney and I can do that. If Gabbert isn't even the consensus best Qb in the draft, why on God's green earth would you trade up to grab him this year? That makes no sense.

If we are trading up I hope its for Petersen.

---------- Post added April-25th-2011 at 05:33 PM ----------

Oh, I almost forgot, trading up for WR? No way. In our situation that also makes no sense. There are twenty guys in this draft that are an immediate upgrade over our WR corps right now. If you want to get Sidney Rice in FA, go ahead, its just money. But why trade up for AJ Green when you can probably stand pat and get Julio Jones at 10? Again, trading up is serious business. You don't do it to close the gap between Julio Jones and AJ Green. You do it (if you do it at all with only 2 picks in the first 5 rounds and holes all over the team) to get a possible hall of famer. If you are a betting man, hands down, your best bet on future hall of famer is Patrick Petersen.

Agree. This has been my point on the whole Locker matter. Next year's QB class will be much better than this one. Get a franchise QB then. The Skins have so many holes to fill, don't take a risky QB pick this year just to fill that need. Take the sure things at other positions. This Skins team is a long way from being a contender. Take some time and do it the right way. Not by forcing a pick at the QB position.

McNabb isn't coming back. Rex is a FA. So, that leaves Beck. You can bet Shanahan will address the QB position in this years draft. Colin Kaepaernick

McNabb isn't coming back. Rex is a FA. So, that leaves Beck. You can bet Shanahan will address the QB position in this years draft. Colin Kaepaernick

Yeah, but I don't think Kaepernick will be ready for a few years. If I am taking a QB in the second, I would take a guy like Dalton or even Ponder before I would take Kaepernick. He is a QB that a team takes to let him develop for a few years under a solid starter. I like him a lot, but we are not that team.

Trading up would be a serious mistake, too many holes to fix. Really would scratch my head if we did that. Also I doubt we have the opportunity to trade out from 10, too many teams want to trade down like every year. I could see us flip the second for some thirds or something with the 2nd happening more likely.

Knowing it's us picking at 10 my guess is we do something dumb like take a Corner or a DE who won't be a bad player on defense but won't actually mean anything to the teams success or failure next year or any year like a Rogers, Landry, sort of player. We've perfected the art of taking a pretty good Defensive player high in round one and consistantly failed at taking a quality or finding a quality first round QB in the same round. I expect once again the plan is to go into the season thinking we can take chicken poop and turn it into chicken salad at the most important of all positions today. When people look at the past 20 years of constant failures it starts under center. Have we ever drafted a good QB in round one ever? Failure to take risks is failure and my own guess is we fail again this year. No offense to the Defensive player we decide to take this year but I'm pretty certain the right move for this team is to get Locker at 10 but we won't. Like Locker or not is irrelevant. Going into the season with Beck and Grossman with no one learning will be the downfall of this coaching staff imo. Hope I'm wrong though

I think Miller is a terrible compliment to Rak unless you're planning on moving Rak to LOLB which would be a waste of his talents. Miller may end up being a very good 3-4 OLB but he is a pure ROLB; we already have one of those and he happens to be a pro bowler. Miller gets by on speed and little else. He doesn't have the strength to stack and shed and he has problems once a Tackle is able to engage him and lock on; that didn't happen all that often in college but in the NFL the Tackles will be faster and stronger so it is much more likely. What we need as a compliment to Rak is a LOLB who can rush the passer but who is also strong enough at the POA to play the run as well. Sure, Miller is decent at dropping into coverage...but do you really think that alone is worth moving up for the guy? That skill is nice but its a luxury at such a high pick.

I think Miller is a terrible compliment to Rak unless you're planning on moving Rak to LOLB which would be a waste of his talents. Miller may end up being a very good 3-4 OLB but he is a pure ROLB; we already have one of those and he happens to be a pro bowler. Miller gets by on speed and little else. He doesn't have the strength to stack and shed and he has problems once a Tackle is able to engage him and lock on; that didn't happen all that often in college but in the NFL the Tackles will be faster and stronger so it is much more likely. What we need as a compliment to Rak is a LOLB who can rush the passer but who is also strong enough at the POA to play the run as well. Sure, Miller is decent at dropping into coverage...but do you really think that alone is worth moving up for the guy? That skill is nice but its a luxury at such a high pick.

Exact;y...thats why I rather have Quinn. Miller weighs around 230-240, Quin is 260-270...he would be better against the run and would be the better option for us. If we had Miller and Rak then teams would run on us ALL day...they wouldnt even get to use their pass rushing skills often.

Archived