Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rumor - Redskins Already Have 2 Trade-Down Pacts In Place To Gain a 2nd Rounder

3 Rings

I hope not. Not sure a DE changes this defense that much. If we are going defense IMO a pass rushing linebacker is key or trading down the draft for an NT. If we could trade down I wouldn't mind Jordan or Kerrigan becuase lets say we can pick up a second or third in the process, with that pick we could use that on an NT like Ellis or Powe or an OLB like Carter.

I doubt seriously taking any one at 10 that's not a QB will do a damn thing to turn this team back into a winner again. Taking a defensive player this year is just another stupid draft move like we've done for the past 20 years. You'd think eventually they would figure out that for all the years of taking the Rogers, Landry's, and so forth resulted in a huge net loss or that maybe we could draft to the coaches strengths not weaknesses for a freaking change but this is the Redskins so I have no expectations. Give us Farley or Petersen, won't change a damn thing for the future of this team. In my opinion

Lavarleap or TK,

My "inside source" -- a sports agent at CAA -- says he hears the Skins have sniffed around Mallet more than people know and that he thinks they would take him at 41 if he's still there.

Thoughts on this? Mixed feelings myself. The guy's a statue, but he throws the ball like a number one overall pick.He's probably the only QB of this class I could see playing right away -- if you could protect him, which we couldn't.

Lombardi from NFL Network seems stuck on the Mallet to the Skins, he repeated it last night. He said something to the effect on Shanny isn't as stuck as some think on having a mobile QB, and that he would like Mallet because he can make any kind of throw

I doubt seriously taking any one at 10 that's not a QB will do a damn thing to turn this team back into a winner again. Taking a defensive player this year is just another stupid draft move like we've done for the past 20 years. You'd think eventually they would figure out that for all the years of taking the Rogers, Landry's, and so forth resulted in a huge net loss or that maybe we could draft to the coaches strengths not weaknesses for a freaking change but this is the Redskins so I have no expectations. Give us Farley or Petersen, won't change a damn thing for the future of this team. In my opinion

For me at least reading about Jordan and Watt they don't seem like game changer types like an Orkapo or Landry. On the other hand, J Jones seems potentially to be that maybe Quinn. Agree that one player won't turn this team around. But I think having another guy who can bring pressure does more for the defense than a DE in a 3-4. but again to be consistent heck if Haslett thinks Jordan is the be all and end all, by all means draft him. It just doesn't seem in a 3-4 that a DE is as critical as an OLB or NT. I am not married though for them to draft a defensive player, I am all into BPA.

Lombardi from NFL Network seems stuck on the Mallet to the Skins, he repeated it last night. He said something to the effect on Shanny isn't as stuck as some think on having a mobile QB, and that he would like Mallet because he can make any kind of throw

I caught that too. Seemed to echo what a lot of us have been saying around here regarding the "QB to fit the system".

I also finally caught the Gruden QB camp thing w/ Mallett. The kid sounds like a knucklehead and I get the eminem references...but, seems like Petrino really got some good coaching through. I liked that.

I caught that too. Seemed to echo what a lot of us have been saying around here regarding the "QB to fit the system".

I also finally caught the Gruden QB camp thing w/ Mallett. The kid sounds like a knucklehead and I get the eminem references...but, seems like Petrino really got some good coaching through. I liked that.

Honestly though shanny is a system guy. I would be baffled if Mallet is a Redskin this weekend, especially once we saw the Mcnabb saga once they decided he didn't fit the scheme

Lavarleap or TK,

My "inside source" -- a sports agent at CAA -- says he hears the Skins have sniffed around Mallet more than people know and that he thinks they would take him at 41 if he's still there.

Thoughts on this? Mixed feelings myself. The guy's a statue, but he throws the ball like a number one overall pick.He's probably the only QB of this class I could see playing right away -- if you could protect him, which we couldn't.

I mentioned Mallett to LL the other day and he more or less shot it down immediately.

He's my favorite QB of the draft shortly followed by Locker. But I should add, I like Mallett more because I believe we can get him later.

Wonder if the Skins strategy is to use the #10 on BPA or trade down, even though that it might make Locker out of reach, and just see who if anybody by chance falls to #41 whether lets say its Mallet or Keapernick or lets say the pick up a third rounder they use it on someone like Stanzi. Meaning they will draft QB if its at a good value spot otherwise they are OK with skipping QB.

Im still confused as to what scheme we are running. Are we looking for an Elway or Schabb (spelling)?

I keep thinking that this is Kyle's offense, ala Texans/Schaub, with a sprinkle of Mike's running game/zone-blocking scheme. Also have to imagine that Mike isn't going to be here much longer than his 4-5 years and that he's probably angling to set his son up for an inheritance. I think Kyle gets the QB selection.

Also - my interpretation of the tea leaves leads me to believe that the trade-up scenario might have more to do with the 41 pick being moved - not the #10. Seems like there has been some rumors of some team trading back in to the first w/ New England

I understand the game-changer argument, but if we had drafted solidly over the last 10 years, we wouldn't need to go after game-changers. Landry, Carlos, ST, Orakpo were all good picks. If you build a team through the draft with solid smart players, the rest will fall into place.

Our problem was that Vinny thought he had to go after game changers thru draft and FA (AH, Kelly, Thomas, Davis, etc.). No one player is going to turn this franchise around, regardless of position. It's going to take a few years of smart solid drafting and FA.

I keep thinking that this is Kyle's offense, ala Texans/Schaub, with a sprinkle of Mike's running game/zone-blocking scheme. Also have to imagine that Mike isn't going to be here much longer than his 4-5 years and that he's probably angling to set his son up for an inheritance. I think Kyle gets the QB selection.

Also - my interpretation of the tea leaves leads me to believe that the trade-up scenario might have more to do with the 41 pick being moved - not the #10. Seems like there has been some rumors of some team trading back in to the first w/ New England

I think the offense is more Mikes than ppl think

I think we all know that Mike has a pretty healthy self-esteem when it comes to football decisions. The reason why he was ousted in Denver was because he refused to relent control. I don't think he'll pass such a big decision to his son. Kyle's expertise is X's and O's and improving the talent that he has at the QB position. I don't think he has any document experience of evaluating players from afar.

I believe we're going to end up with a QB that Mike Shanahan feels can run Kyle's system very well.

Lavarleap or TK,

I doubt Mallet will drop to the 2nd round, but who knows. Players drop lower than expected every year so I guess it's possible.

The more I think about it the more I feel we should defiently trade down at least once, I would trade back with the Rams and then the Pats if possible, we have so many needs I feel quality in volume is better for us than 1 potential superstar considering our talent level right now. The reason I think this will work is Ponder, we can get him late in the first or early 2nd, the more I watch him the more I think he is the best QB in this draft, I just don't see the natural QB ability in any other QB other than Ponder, Gaebbert and Newton look to me like they could be huge busts, as for Locker? He will need time he seems unsure when he throws some balls as if he's aiming the ball perhaps the right coach and the right system could unlock a gem? None the less he will be available mid to late 1st rd. DEAL DOWN! I believe having either J.Jones or Quinn falling to us at 10 will make life easier to trade down.

If you read my post again, you'll notice that my response wasn't direct to your post and for that matter I flat out pointed that you didn't imply that your opinion was definitive. My response was specifically to the post that wondered why people weren't responding to your post/opinion. And i was saying for ME yours was a good post but when it comes to drafting up for a QB, while I like reading people's opinion, I don't treat it as anything serious in terms of gosh I know now we are blowing it if we trade up for Gabbert because so and so on the board said so. That point of mine is just as much me stating my opinion as yours was about stating your take.

I never said people shouldn't post their opinion and I didn't say anything even close to that, of course everyone says their opinion, that's most of the point of Extremeskins and if you read my post closely hopefully you'll notice that I didn't even remotely imply otherwise.

Edit: I just reread this. Funny how much I use the word "post". To say this succinctly, I was responding to the post about why aren't people responding to your opinion. I can't speak for everyone but I explained why I didn't respond to your opinion.

Oh no worries, and I wasn't trying to single you out at all. I meant to speak in more generalities. Also, no worries about not responding to my opinion. I tend to have very long posts so I expect half the people to skip it altogether :pfft:

---------- Post added April-26th-2011 at 02:18 PM ----------

I keep thinking that this is Kyle's offense, ala Texans/Schaub, with a sprinkle of Mike's running game/zone-blocking scheme.

Why does this remind me of "Gibbs' running game with Al Saunders passing game?"

Oh no worries, and I wasn't trying to single you out at all. I meant to speak in more generalities. Also, no worries about not responding to my opinion. I tend to have very long posts so I expect half the people to skip it altogether :pfft:

Why does this remind me of "Gibbs' running game with Al Saunders passing game?"

OK, cool, and as for not responding to that post, I said it was a good one and I don't respond to most posts. It's all good stuff.

I just watched Mallett's QB camp with Gruden. Well i can see right away that hes a lot smarter than Cam Newton. Its good he ran a pro-style offense but he does seem way too "street". I wonder how that will affect his leadership in the huddle. Will his teammates respect him or will they be like "who does this white boy think he is?"

I really don't see his lack of athleticism or mobility that big of a flaw though. Its always nice to have but not required as long as you can throw the ball. That said, I don't know if i would be comfortable spending a 1st round pick on this guy.

I bet Mallett would be a top 10 pick if he were a choir boy. + arm + experience + production ... - mobility - character ... apparently only average intelligence.

This sounds to me like a 2nd-3rd round pick. Leadership and reliability are legit red flag issues. Mobility is only a limitation, not a real detriment.

I can't imagine St. Louis would give a 2nd to move up those 4 spots. A 3rd maybe (which is exactly the price per the value chart).

St. louis is in dire need of a number one target for Bradford and from what i've heard, they have a real jones for Julio.

I doubt Mallet will drop to the 2nd round, but who knows. Players drop lower than expected every year so I guess it's possible.

I think where Mallett goes all depends on the background checks. If all the drug talk about Mallett is true and it's significant he will fall further than you might think. If the background stuff comes back OK then he will go higher than you might think. Mallett is one of those players who could go anywhere from say the low teens or fall into the lower second round or even lower (though I doubt he falls out of the second unless the background stuff really stinks).

if they look elway they look locker. i mean elway compares himm self most to locker. then jake plummer and jake locker are almost the same. and jake locker and cutler are very simular. physical speaking locker seems smart enough shannahan, shannahan and lefure are all well respected coaches which is why i kinda think lockers the choice cause he has the best physical ability a decent leader and smart enough to run the O. and i believe both shannahans and the QB coach will belive they can coach him up.

Archived