Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TNT's Falling Skies

88Comrade2000

• 2 months later...
I saw it. I liked it. I'll watch the next one.

I started it last night, got about 30 minutes in, but decided to sleep and let my DVR record it because I was feeling the same vibe I got when I tried the remake of "V." I just didn't feel like it was going to be anything fresh or creatively special. I'll try to finish out the pilot tonight and decide from there if I'll go on with it.

• 2 weeks later...

SPOILER ALERT

So, after four episodes, I'm into the show, but I see flaws that I hope are fixed, because they're easily fixable. The first is that some of the writing is annoyingly repetitive. Tom wants to get his son Ben. We get it. We don't need scene after scene which serve no purpose other than to remind us that he wants to go get Ben. Lourdes is super-religious. We get it. This one is especially annoying because literally every single scene she's been in in a couple of these episodes has existed only to use her as an example to beat the audience over the head with the message, "Hey, not everyone has lost their faith!" Okay. Fine. Does she do anything else with her time? Anything at all? Can a character have less than one dimension? And could you keep beating away at the dead horse any more by naming her Lourdes? Mike does stupid **** when it comes to his son. We get it. This was already the central theme of one episode. Then, when we finally see someone actually communicating with the aliens, which could have been used to offer up a couple nice juicy reveals to the audience, Mike ****s it up again. Awesome. I damn near expected him to shout, "WAAAAAALLLLLLT!" Hell, do you remember the name of Walt's dad, writers? Do you? Did you watch Lost? HIS NAME WAS ****ING MIKE!

Second, sometimes the writers have resorted to a plot device known as "The Stupid" in order to move things forward. Pope goes and blows up a bunch of Skitters at a location that seems to be at least a half-mile away, so naturally, where do the Skitters immediately converge with their child army? At the abandoned motorcycle shop, of course, apparently within a couple of minutes, because naturally, if I hear an explosion, my immediate reaction is to go check out what's happening at a completely random building that has no relation to said explosion. On the other hand, this event could only occur because once the fighters got to the shop in the first place, Tom said, "Hey Dai, you and the convict who everyone warned us about go into the back room by yourselves. I'm sure nothing bad will happen."

Little things like this irk me.

(Not as much as a couple ages irk me, however. Hal, who looks like he's 22, is 16, but Lourdes, who looks like she's ****ing 12, is a pre-Med student? Bull****.)

I like the show. It was a little slow during the pilot. The past two episodes have been pretty good and it seems each one has been better than the last. It seems like they are getting past the building up episodes now and into more action. I know that some series start out slow to build the setting, but the problem with today's audiences, they are spoiled and have zero patience and give up on shows too quickly. Then after the first or second season, they are cancelled.

Terminator: The Sara Conner Chronicles is a good example. It was a great show imo and how it got dropped for that **** that replaced it is beyond me. Back in the day, Earth 2, in the networks defense on this one, it was written to where if you missed one episode here and there it was easy to get lost and not know what was going on. After 2 seasons, dropped.

Falling Skies is ok. Will definitely keep it in the rotation. Nowhere near the quality of a show like the Walking Dead...but not a bad way to waste an hour on a Sunday night.

It reminds me a lot of Jericho in that its a solid premise but the acting and the writing is just a bit weak at time. Noah Wyle is an odd choice for the lead. (much like Skeet Ulrich was for Jericho) Its tough to take Wyle seriously as a hero because he always has that goofy perma-smile on his face. When he got into that "fight" with his oldest son during the first episode it was painful to watch. (they were rolling around on the ground arguing over rescuing the other son) I expected them both to burst out laughing at some point. It was a very weak attempt at drama.

Hopefully it gets picked up for a second season though so the story can build a bit. Will keep watching.

Pretty entertaining show. I want Mike (the dad who keeps screwing things up) to shoot himself. He is basically the Gilligan of the show so far only it's not funny. The plot is simple: Aliens have invaded and humanity is fighting for survival. Everyone likes plots that are about the "struggle and power of the human spirit" all that jazz. There are a couple of things that need to be tweaked but it has potential. I cant see it lasting more than 3 seasons just b/c it gets hard to write a show to go on for years that a movie could squeeze into 2 hours. It’s the same problem that the walking dead is going to have. There has to be a "new quest" that captures the audience every season and I don’t care if tom gets his son back or not.

The producers would be smart to find a couple of the writers from Battlestar Galactica and throw money at them. Probably the most well-written show I've ever watched, and it just happened to be a sci-fi series about humans scratching and clawing to survive against a far superior opponent after most of humanity has been wiped out. I mean, come on, how much more obvious can this get?

For example, I think it would have been much more effective if they developed Ben into a solid character first, then had him captured and had the Skitters put that thing on him. Then I'd probably care about whether they get him back or not. There's absolutely no reason they couldn't have done that while also having Mike see his kid on some random raid and grab him.

The show is just so/so.

But if you really want to watch a well written sci-fi show. I would suggest tuning into Torchwood: Miracle Day this week. It's on Starz starting Friday night - but if you can - watch the older series on Netflix.

Now, that's a good sci-fi show.

This show sucks balls...........imo. My wife likes all the Brit shows and I tried to watch a few episodes when it came out, but couldn't get into it. I liked the new Dr. Who until this new ****stick came along to play the Doctor the past couple of seasons.......the current Dr. reminds me of Marty McFly from Back to the Future......unwatchable now.

Does this bode well for Terra Nova coming out on Fox in the Fall?

Terra Nova is on FOX so even if it does well, it'll be cancelled. :ols:

Honestly though I think they're different kind of shows. Don't they go back in time or something in Terra Nova?

This show sucks balls...........imo. My wife likes all the Brit shows and I tried to watch a few episodes when it came out, but couldn't get into it. I liked the new Dr. Who until this new ****stick came along to play the Doctor the past couple of seasons.......the current Dr. reminds me of Marty McFly from Back to the Future......unwatchable now.

Geronimo !!!...:ols:..........I agree the guy is kinda lame....David Tennant was the best Dr Who...the guy built that character like nobody's business...you were actually invested in him making it.....like the Water on Mars episode.....brilliant

I liked the new Dr. Who until this new ****stick came along to play the Doctor the past couple of seasons.......the current Dr. reminds me of Marty McFly from Back to the Future......unwatchable now.

Eh. Matt Smith is a so-so doctor but Karen Gillian is awesome. She makes the new incarnation worth watching all by herself.

---------- Post added July-6th-2011 at 05:32 AM ----------

I'll give Falling Skies a few more weeks but so far its missing the emotional mark right and left. Too much weeping and angst and cute little one liners, not enough shock and fear and rage.

Archived