Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TNT's Falling Skies

88Comrade2000

I really wanted to enjoy this show, but it's just not very good. The dialog is bad, the show is reptitious (How many times is someone going to flub a mission? Does it have to be about the kids every episode?), and the writers believe that the show's audience are nitwits. For example, why leave a captured alien unguarded, especially with the kid in the same room?

Ugh.

This last episiode really blew it for me. It wasn't good at all, especially with the annoying God Girl character. It feels like a Family Channel show and not something made for a serious sci-fi audience.

TNT’s “Falling Skies,” starring Noah Wyle and Moon Bloodgood, has been renewed for a return next summer.

Wait, wait, next summer? There aren't many episodes left in this run. They expect to take a year-long break and retain most of the audience?

Wait, wait, next summer? There aren't many episodes left in this run. They expect to take a year-long break and retain most of the audience?

It's almost a BBC-sort of strategy, and several of their recent sci-fi shows (Survivors, based on the original great BBC production, and Outcasts) haven't made the cut.

I'm actually very critical of this show, but it is better than nothing. And there is hardly any, if at all, any good science-fiction on TV, most of which is a sort of psuedo-sci-fi..

• 11 months later...

If tonight is an indication of the general direction of the show, the writers have responded to criticisms and this thing just went from a brilliant concept with very flawed execution to one of the best shows on television. That was an awesome two hours. They finally stopped trying to be everything to everyone and decided to strictly be a show about a guerrilla war against a successful alien invasion. If they keep this up, they'll be another Walking Dead, only with better ratings since more people watch TNT than AMC.

I liked tonight's premier but I didn't really notice anything drastically different concept wise.

Why would they change the concept? Not only would that make it a completely different show, but the concept is fantastic. The problem last season was the execution. They tried to be everything to everyone, especially when it came to the teen drama and the absolutely terrible religious scenes. Terr-i-ble. As in, some of the worst television I've ever seen. (Don't think that this has anything to do with my own beliefs, by the way. The problems with those scenes had nothing to do with which religion we're talking about, or even faith in any religion at all.)

There was none of that tonight. I don't think that's a coincidence.

I got into it since there aren't a lot of good shows running through summer. I've been enjoying it and was pleased that this season has started off with more focus on the battles, strategy, and life in that environment.

---------- Post added June-18th-2012 at 02:07 AM ----------

They finally stopped trying to be everything to everyone and decided to strictly be a show about a guerrilla war against a successful alien invasion. If they keep this up, they'll be another Walking Dead, only with better ratings since more people watch TNT than AMC.

Completely agree, especially with the improved focus of the show. I noticed they have the after-show discussion show just like Walking Dead.

If tonight is an indication of the general direction of the show, the writers have responded to criticisms and this thing just went from a brilliant concept with very flawed execution to one of the best shows on television. That was an awesome two hours. They finally stopped trying to be everything to everyone and decided to strictly be a show about a guerrilla war against a successful alien invasion. If they keep this up, they'll be another Walking Dead, only with better ratings since more people watch TNT than AMC.

I agree. So far the second season looks like a vast improvement.

So the one thing I didn't quite get is why the aliens let all the human leaders they'd been holding go, presumably so they could go back to their units and tell them that the aliens want to round all humans up and put them in Australia or something to live peacefully, and then killed everyone but Tom. What was the point of holding them, then? Why not just kill them right away? And why did Tom get to live? And if he's the only one they're gonna let go, why set down in Michigan and just hope that the guy gets all the way back to Boston alive when a whole lot of humans are killing each other out of desperation and/or general lawlessness?

Like I said before, last night was fantastic, but that one scene didn't make a lot of sense to me.

So the one thing I didn't quite get is why the aliens let all the human leaders they'd been holding go, presumably so they could go back to their units and tell them that the aliens want to round all humans up and put them in Australia or something to live peacefully, and then killed everyone but Tom. What was the point of holding them, then? Why not just kill them right away? And why did Tom get to live? And if he's the only one they're gonna let go, why set down in Michigan and just hope that the guy gets all the way back to Boston alive when a whole lot of humans are killing each other out of desperation and/or general lawlessness?

Like I said before, last night was fantastic, but that one scene didn't make a lot of sense to me.

Well they put the tracking bug thingy inside Tom, but why couldn't they have put them inside all the leaders?

And were they set down in Michigan? I don't recall hearing where he was dropped off, I thought he'd be somewhere in the New England area since that one lady leader was I believe from New Hampshire.

Well they put the tracking bug thingy inside Tom, but why couldn't they have put them inside all the leaders?

And were they set down in Michigan? I don't recall hearing where he was dropped off, I thought he'd be somewhere in the New England area since that one lady leader was I believe from New Hampshire.

He was set down near Lansing, MI. My guess is since the aliens are learning from our history, and discussed so with Tom, that they bugged him and wanted him to think he was the sole one left alive just for the purpose of delivering their message (like what happened to his son season 1) and touch on the historical anecdote used season 1 as well, with leaving one alive to relay the message, but secretly he is bugged.

As far as dropping him off in Michigan, I don't know if that is to find out what human elements are left along the way, to see how the remaining are able to still survive, or just a large ploy to not arouse as much suspicion. Not entirely sure, but I do hope it becomes clearer.

I'm a sucker for science fiction but I have not seen this show. Can I just jump in and start watching or do I have to go back and watch season one first?

You probably want to watch season 1 so you understand the characters and why they do what they do, same with the aliens and their tactics. It's only a 10 episode 1st season, so shouldn't take long to catch up. My folks got me into the show earlier this summer. Just took a couple days to watch season 1.

I'm a sucker for science fiction but I have not seen this show. Can I just jump in and start watching or do I have to go back and watch season one first?

I'd say you could just jump in and then catch up when you get the chance. It's not all that deep. :)

Another episode demonstrating a shift towards one of the best series on TV.

It really does seem like they've figured things out. There are a few details that are questionable—for example, Tom went from "I need to handcuff myself to a pole because I don't know if I'll endanger others" to "I want to walk around everywhere with a gun" without much of an explanation as to why, although I think we're supposed to assume that he thinks he "proved himself" in the battle on the bridge—but for the most part, they've ditched everything that sucked and embraced everything that kicks ass. Again, barring a reversion to the crap moments of last season, this has now become a must-watch show. They decided that they really want to be a story about a guerrilla war against aliens, and that's an absolutely phenomenal decision. Spoilers below.

SPOILER ALERT: The Charleston news would probably have been enormous had I not accidentally already read about it in an article that I didn't know contained spoilers-within-a-single-sentence that I couldn't avoid. There's a second spoiler in the next paragraph, so read at your own risk.

SECOND SPOILER ALERT: That article also said that when the 2nd Mass gets to Charleston, it doesn't exactly meet expectations. That doesn't mean the woman in the biplane was lying—the article didn't indicate whether she was full of crap or that things had suddenly changed based on a new alien offensive or something—but it does mean that things will probably be a lot more chaotic than expected when the unit arrives at its destination.

Another episode demonstrating a shift towards one of the best series on TV.

It really does seem like they've figured things out. There are a few details that are questionable—for example, Tom went from "I need to handcuff myself to a pole because I don't know if I'll endanger others" to "I want to walk around everywhere with a gun" without much of an explanation as to why, although I think we're supposed to assume that he thinks he "proved himself" in the battle on the bridge—but for the most part, they've ditched everything that sucked and embraced everything that kicks ass. Again, barring a reversion to the crap moments of last season, this has now become a must-watch show. They decided that they really want to be a story about a guerrilla war against aliens, and that's an absolutely phenomenal decision. Spoilers below.

SPOILER ALERT: The Charleston news would probably have been enormous had I not accidentally already read about it in an article that I didn't know contained spoilers-within-a-single-sentence that I couldn't avoid. There's a second spoiler in the next paragraph, so read at your own risk.

SECOND SPOILER ALERT: That article also said that when the 2nd Mass gets to Charleston, it doesn't exactly meet expectations. That doesn't mean the woman in the biplane was lying—the article didn't indicate whether she was full of crap or that things had suddenly changed based on a new alien offensive or something—but it does mean that things will probably be a lot more chaotic than expected when the unit arrives at its destination.

I think they've dumbed the action down a bit. Season one was a great deal of misdirection and setting traps. This season it's point and shoot machine gunfire and "berserkers" and nonsensical enemy behavior. They seem to be working overtime to cast doubt on everything however creating plenty of mystery in need of solving.

Ninja:

I think charleston is the human "reservations" the aliens spoke about with Tom on the ship. Makes no sense for humans to want to or be able to congregate in large numbers.

Good episode but I thought it was kinda random how a plane just happens to find them after all this time.

Seems to me that that sort of development would be pretty random.

I think they've dumbed the action down a bit. Season one was a great deal of misdirection and setting traps. This season it's point and shoot machine gunfire and "berserkers" and nonsensical enemy behavior. They seem to be working overtime to cast doubt on everything however creating plenty of mystery in need of solving.

Ninja:

I think charleston is the human "reservations" the aliens spoke about with Tom on the ship. Makes no sense for humans to want to or be able to congregate in large numbers.

I'm not sure I'm getting quite what you mean. So far this season there hasn't been quite as much action that's "frantically searching through a warehouse to make sure Skitters aren't there" or something of that nature, but when you've got teenagers hunting Skitters as a sudden new development it's not exactly the same old scenes. Ninja:

That's a pretty good guess. I'm gonna go with something slightly different because it makes sense for giving the show a general direction—Charleston is one of those "reservations", but it also has a larger resistance movement that finds the 2nd Mass right at the height of their disappointment.

Good episode but I thought it was kinda random how a plane just happens to find them after all this time.

Yeah, good episode, but I thought the airplane lady was kind of poor acting. Other than that, solid episode and I'm glad I've gotten into this show as season 2 is starting out great

Archived