Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pope served with court papers in molestation case.

Koolblue13

http://www.examiner.com/atheism-in-philadelphia/pope-served-with-court-papers-molestation-case

It is official, the Pope and two top Vatican officials have been served with court papers associated with the Milwaukee-area school for the deaf molestation case in which 200 deaf children were alleged to have been molested by Reverend Lawrence C. Murphy between 1950 and 1974.

The plaintiff’s lawyer, Jeff Anderson, confirmed yesterday (April 12th) that the lawsuit has been going through official channels and that the Vatican has received notice of the suit last week. The suit alleges that the Pope and two other top Vatican officials knew about the accusations of sexual molestation and called off investigations.

Even though Reverend Lawrence C. Murphy has since died, the case continues because of the allegation that the Vatican attempted to systematically cover-up the case. It could even be said that they have obstructed justice and put other children is harms way.

If this case is allowed to proceed, it will open up the door for similar cases throughout the world. Earlier this year, a Philadelphia Grand Jury revealed a similar sexual molestation scandal involving 37 priests of the Catholic Church.

This is so disturbing, but it's become so frequent, that it's nice to see this door opening.

See, this is one of the big advantages of Protestantism (or at least most Protestant denominations). If a minister is caught doing something like this, there's no international legal case dragged out for the world to see. Usually, the congregation will bring the hammer down on him/her and nip it in the bud.

The people I feel bad for in this whole thing are:

1.) The victims of these molestations cases, obviously

and

2.) The Catholics of the world who have to have their faith dragged through the mud because of the decisions their leaders made

I agree with you. It never made sense to me, why the Church was allowed to do the investigating into any of this and not the police either. I know there are plenty of good Catholics around, but it would be great to see the kids who were effected, feel like it's not going to happen to more children.

See, this is one of the big advantages of Protestantism (or at least most Protestant denominations). If a minister is caught doing something like this, there's no international legal case dragged out for the world to see. Usually, the congregation will bring the hammer down on him/her and nip it in the bud.

The people I feel bad for in this whole thing are:

1.) The victims of these molestations cases, obviously

and

2.) The Catholics of the world who have to have their faith dragged through the mud because of the decisions their leaders made

Don't forget the millions of legitimate priests that will have the unfortunate assoication of those sick few.

Don't forget the millions of legitimate priests that will have the unfortunate assoication of those sick few.

My word, yes. These sickos have perverted one of the most sacred, and admirable (and remember, this is coming from a life long Protestant) occupations in the world. Most Catholic priests devote their lives to serving God and the World as a whole. Now, though? The collar will be shrouded further into infamy and the butt of a million jokes.

It is very unfortunate.

Good to hear about this. It's a good sign that the clergy is no longer invincible.

---------- Post added April-14th-2011 at 09:47 AM ----------

Allow Priests to bang their wives and I think molesting children will decline

Also, this. :ols:

Allow Priests to bang their wives and I think molesting children will decline

Really? Pedophiles have an unnatural attraction to children of a specific age and gender. Not all pedophiles are alike in their "target". (My wife as a therapist works with these cases that's why I know this info, it's not like I have some "unique" insight into the situation.) A "married Priest" will just bang his wife for show and continue being a pedophile on the side.

You're probably being sarcastic, but just to spread some more truth out there .

But more to the OP, I was wondering how they were going to serve the Pope the court papers. It's not like they just let some guy walk up to him.

Really? Pedophiles have an unnatural attraction to children of a specific age and gender. Not all pedophiles are alike in their "target". (My wife as a therapist works with these cases that's why I know this info, it's not like I have some "unique" insight into the situation.) A "married Priest" will just bang his wife for show and continue being a pedophile on the side.

Yes, there is no way that repressing possibly the strongest natural urge of a human being could possibly lead to sexually harassing children.

#NotIntendedToBeAFactualStatement

Disagree. While some people are pedophiles and murderers regardless, they are the small minority. A completely normal man, who may have never even thought about commiting murder in his life, can easily kill another man for the last scrap of food or drop of water when faced with starvation. Heck, I've heard of people becoming cannibals. Basically, when a desire becomes strong enough, even the best of us will look for any possible way to quench it.

How did the church gain authority to call off criminal investigations?

um ... god gave them the authority.

god and the church are bigger and more powerful than any of man's law.

honeslty ... how can you question the "word" of an omnipotent entity, and his/her's representatives.

not even a contest ...

(that is what the argument would be ... )

But more to the OP, I was wondering how they were going to serve the Pope the court papers. It's not like they just let some guy walk up to him.

i dunno sounds fishy ;)

um, what makes a priest legitimate? i'm sure there are a ton that cover up for other molestors, have affairs, do drugs, embezzle, lie, cheat and steal. if i were to guess, much like the genearl population, the damn majority of priests are crooked in some way.

um the ones here in richmond do. awkward.....

There are some Catholic priests that are married - they are the Episcopalian/Anglican priests who converted to Catholicism and they retained their wives. Also, some non-Roman Catholic rites, such (like Maronites) allow married priests, but this must be done before they are ordained.

As to the pedophilia issue, I don't think that sexual supression turns anyone into a pedophile - I don't see think they would merely gratify their sexual urges in some other fashion. There have been quite a few who left the priesthood in order to marry - the biblical scholar John Dominic Crossan being a notable example.

I do think that the discipline of celibacy has led to a inordinate number of priests with homosexuality or sexual disorders including pedophilia.

um, what makes a priest legitimate? i'm sure there are a ton that cover up for other molestors, have affairs, do drugs, embezzle, lie, cheat and steal. if i were to guess, much like the genearl population, the damn majority of priests are crooked in some way.

wow maybe this belongs in the dbag thread and i'm not even catholic

Archived