Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

48÷2(9+3)=?????

Chiefinonhaze

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

chief, i think most people who think the answer should be 2 have explained how they got to that answer. it seems most of us were taught that you clear up the 2 (in this example) with the parentheses.

I'm not claiming to be right, but that is definitely how I was taught and what makes the most sense to me.

is that with single or double precision floating point?

---------- Post added April-11th-2011 at 08:16 PM ----------

extra credit, maybe. Seriously, the point of school is to prepare folks for the real world, not try to trick them with disuse of convention.

>> Extra credit and/or something I cover when we review for the test (same problem with numbers changed).

I'm very shocked as are most who have chose 2 as the answer.

Anyone who has done higher level math would most likely agree that the answer is 2, without ever needing a calculator.

I'd bet it would be safe to say anyone who has picked 288 used a calculator and most likely as simple of a question that this is, you are most likely never even intended to use a calculator to solve it which is part of the "trick" if there is one.

The distributive property as mentioned early in the thread is the ONLY way that you solve the problem correctly. I did read about 12 pages, then gave up because the argument looked pretty futile. Figured I'd post my 2 cents and be done, anyone who doesn't understand this needs to do someone else's problem that was posted before:

a / (or divided by sign, however you'd like to view it) X b(c+d)

Should be obvious that the order of operations is (bc + bd) or (c+d)*b is performed first, then a is divided by that result.

they aren't interested in math, they're interested in being right.
I wish they were. :ols:

The distributive property as mentioned early in the thread is the ONLY way that you solve the problem correctly. I did read about 12 pages, then gave up because the argument looked pretty futile. Figured I'd post my 2 cents and be done, anyone who doesn't understand this needs to do someone else's problem that was posted before:

a / (or divided by sign, however you'd like to view it) X b(c+d)

Should be obvious that the order of operations is (bc + bd) or (c+d)*b is performed first, then a is divided by that result.

Wait, what? What does this X mean? Are you saying 'times?' As in a / x b(c+d)? Is it supposed to be a plus without the /? In a + b(c+d) (which is NOT the original problem), you get a + bc + bd. Or if you want to let c+d = n, then a + bn is the answer.

Let's say a = 4, b = 17, c = 5 and d = 8. Thus, n = 13.

a +b(c+d):

4 + 17*5 + 17*8 = 4 + 85 + 136 = 225.

a+bn:

4 + 17 * 13 = 4 + 221 = 225.

Moving on...

This problem is not 48/(2(9+3)). If it were, the answer would be 2. But just because there's a division symbol, it doesn't imply that everything after the dividend (48) is the divisor [2(9+3)]. Only through explicit representation of such can this be true. If it were written over multiple lines of text, i.e.

2(9+3)

Then that would imply that [2(9+3)] is the divisor. Since this is not the case, it can only mean that 2 is the divisor.

And you execute the order of operations for multiplication and divison (as well as addition and subtraction for that matter) at the same time, going from left to right.

For the record I have done higher level math (though I mastered OoO in elementary school), and didn't need a calculator to figure this out.

order of operations requires multiplication before addition. a + bc +bd.
The b(c+d) is distributive, but strictly following the correct order, you really should do the addition inside the parentheses first. Not because of multiplication before addition. :mad:
they aren't interested in math, they're interested in being right.

Anything pre-calculus math shouldn't be subjective. The answer is 288!!!! EXTERMINATE!!! EXTERMINATE!!!!

dalek2.jpg

:silly:

haha, good thing I've got my sonic screwdriver handy.

as for addition inside parentheses, I do what I want! seriously, though, it really depends on what your application is for the best approach.

LOL. RETREAT! RETREAT!

It's becoming amazing to me that all our bridges aren't collapsing, our rocket launchers don't just explode, if we were all so inconsistent on math.

And no, you don't have a choice. Do what's inside the parentheses first. And multiplication before addition doesn't factor into that at all. :mad:

LOL. RETREAT! RETREAT!

It's becoming amazing to me that all our bridges aren't collapsing. our rocket launchers don't just explode, if we were all so inconsistent on math.

And no, you don't have a choice. Do what's inside the parentheses first. And multiplication before addition doesn't factor into that at all. :mad:

just wait, 10 years from now you'll be using a computer engineered by me. I'm gonna hardwire in a disorder of operations circuit just to screw with folks.

Wow - if something as cut-and-dried as this is a million pages on Tailgate, what hope for our political system? :)

I've seen the following wrong arguments on this thread (and i've looked at maybe five pages total):

* There is no difference between something being CONTAINED WITHIN parentheses and something being NEXT TO a parenthetical

* PEMDAS means that you must do multiplication before division

* a+b(c+d) requires the same order of operations as a/b(c+d)

* this is a nontrivial question that has any real-life application other than to stump people

Archived