Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

48÷2(9+3)=?????

Chiefinonhaze

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I'd like you to solve the following equation for x

8x²/ 2x = 1

x=cube root of (1/4)

lol, well you are probably the only person that would do that, because the rest of the world would solve that differently.

In fact, I would hazard a guess that if you gave that to 100 mathematicians they would all reduce that to 4x=1 and x = 1/4

I'd like you to solve the following equation for x

8x²/ 2x = 1

lol, well you are probably the only person that would do that, because the rest of the world would solve that differently.

In fact, I would hazard a guess that if you gave that to 100 mathematicians they would all reduce that to 4x=1 and x = 1/4

I would guess you'd be wrong because **technically** that's the correct answer. Fortunately for us, mathematicians don't use MS Word to discuss complex equations. This is a silly thread because it requires limits imposed on us by a very basic text editor.

I would guess you'd be wrong because **technically** that's the correct answer. Fortunately for us, mathematicians don't use MS Word to discuss complex equations. This is a silly thread because it requires limits imposed on us by a very basic text editor.

at least text editors actually have formula boxes you can insert (at least Open Office does).

This whole debate shows the purpose for parenthesis. Every equation has an extended form, but they're not always easy to read and interpret, hence the parenthesis. Since there are no parenthesis other than the (9+3), the answer is 288, but its a common enough mistake that that this is often on math tests and even confuses mathematicians in well published math journals - or on calculators. But the rules are the rules.

This whole debate shows the purpose for parenthesis. Every equation has an extended form, but they're not always easy to read and interpret, hence the parenthesis. Since there are no parenthesis other than the (9+3), the answer is 288, but its a common enough mistake that that this is often on math tests and even confuses mathematicians in well published math journals - or on calculators. But the rules are the rules.

You're right, of course. But as I've said before, mathematicians don't write equations that look like this. This is the equation of a sloppy writer or a trickster.

---------- Post added April-13th-2011 at 07:36 PM ----------

You're right, of course. But as I've said before, mathematicians don't write equations that look like this. This is the equation of a sloppy writer or a trickster.

no, I don't think so.

I think if it were written

8x²/ 2x = 1

and

8x² ÷ 2x = 1

You could possibly make an argument that the second means this

(8)(x²)(1/2)x = 1

with the whole order of operations argument

But in my opinion the first one puts 2x in the denominator every time. Every time.

That is what I am talking about and why " ÷ " is the culprit.

Nope, wrong :)

And I say that because most people who have ever used a computer or calculator that accepts in-line equation entering automatically rewrite x÷y to x/y. That's what I did with the original equation in this thread when I wrote it on paper to solve it, and was forced to do so to punch it into excel, because there isn't a ÷ key on my keyboard. (I also had to add a * for multiplication because programming languages[and by extension the pseudo-programming language of excel formulas] don't recognize 2(12) as multiplication at all).

you can do a basic test of that notion by looking at (2 ÷ 2 + 2) vs (2 / 2 + 2). You don't automatically assume that 2+2 is in the denominator in either instance, because there's no structural reason to. When you contrast that with the other equation you posed, why do you assume that 2x is atomic (ie supposed to be read as (2x) )? I don't think it has anything to do with the division symbol, since like I said most people automatically transpose symbols even if they don't realize it. I think it's because the form of that equation gives you an algebraic notion that 2x is atomic.

But I'm not even sure at this point what we're really disagreeing on, so maybe I should let it drop :ols:

It's order of operations.

With that said, again, you add the 9+3 since they're in parentheses. That's 12. There are no more parentheses. You're equation now looks like this: 48+2(12).

Then, you do division/multiplication from left to right which means you divide the 48 by 2 and get 24. That leaves you with 24(12) which is 288.

You're welcome. I won't even charge for this tutoring session.

How are you going to say there is no more parentheses, but in the same sentence you present the same problem with parentheses in it. Just because you add 9+3 doesn't mean you got rid of the parentheses. You get rid of it by multiplying 12 by 2 which will give you 24....divide and you will get 2!!!

How are you going to say there is no more parentheses, but in the same sentence you present the same problem with parentheses in it. Just because you add 9+3 doesn't mean you got rid of the parentheses. You get rid of it by multiplying 12 by 2 which will give you 24....divide and you will get 2!!!

Except that's not what order of operations says. Order of operations says to evaluate the expression INSIDE the parentheses. parentheses allow for explicit grouping, which they ENCLOSE. Once you evaluate 9+3, the explicit grouping represented by the parentheses is gone. You're subconciously adding a second set of parentheses around 2*12, which aren't explicitly written in this equation. If you have a reason to do that, like you might with the equation DF posted, you would be right. But straight-up arithmetic order of operations says the explicit grouping represented by the parens is satisified once you evaluate the expression inside them, and you're on to the MD step of evaluation.

Nope, wrong :)

And I say that because most people who have ever used a computer or calculator that accepts in-line equation entering automatically rewrite x÷y to x/y.

Well, you better tell this guy that he's solving the problem incorrectly.

Q.1 2 divided by (2/x + 2/y)

(2/x + 2/y) = 2 (1/x + 1/y)

= 2 ( (y + x)/xy)

(I solved 1/x + 1/y by finding common denominator xy and then multiplying the numerator by x and y respectively)

= 2(y+x)/xy

Now we have to solve 2 divided by 2(y + x)/xy

we get 2 xy/2(y + x)

= xy/(y + x)

http://www.algebra.com/algebra/homework/Polynomials-and-rational-expressions/Polynomials-and-rational-expressions.faq.question.54286.html

because OBVIOUSLY, as you say, if you take (y+x)/xy you should get (y+x)(1/x)(y). I mean it's clear as day to you, why isn't it clear as day to this guy? He must be an idiot. He clearly does not understand order of operations.

Look. I understand the answer is 288. I know this because of the divisor symbol.

But saying that every math guy out there would take 8x^2/2x = 1 and come up with x=cube root of 1/4 is idiotic.

They would not. And all you have to do is go to one of those tutor websites and put in a question and they'll all get it wrong I guarantee it.

Ask them a stupid question like how do I reduce 24x/8x and I would bet they all come up with 3. Not 3x^2

This has gone on for 42 pages and half the people have answered wrong. I weep for this board, for education, and for humanity.

Meh, it's really not all that bad. This would all be cleared up if the original problem was more explicit. Just goes to show why, if you want something done right, you have to communicate clearly.

Archived