Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Going to NY later this month/suggestions on what to do.

GOSKINS_08

I'm going with my girl to NY on the 21st for 3 days..What are things we should do other than the obvious Times Square, Central Park, ect..I'm 21 and my girl is 19.

Put your feet up on the windowsill and let the air conditioner blow on your junk.

I FINALLY GOT TO BE THE FIRST ONE TO SAY IT!!!!!!

What isn't there to do. Hit the Whitney or the Gughenheim, go see a cabaret or underground comedy club, see a Broadway show or a rock, jazz, hip hop, or anything else you like, stop a mugging or be mugged, go to the Statue or the ESB if you want the super touristy things. NYC is tougher to tell people what to do because there's so much. I will say if you are into white water rafting it's kind of lame, but other than that...

My wife and I are going for a few days ourselves. We're doing a Broadway show, the Metropolitan museum of art, an Irish pub crawl, and we have dinner reservations at one of those revolving restaurant places that has view of the whole city. We'll work a few other things in, but it's pretty hard to be bored there.

Go see a show, even if its not your cup of tea, Go, the experience alone is worth it.

Might I suggest a few I enjoyed (and I'm by no means a broadway kinda guy):

Wicked

Avenue Q

Stomp

The Addams Family

and if you eat so much as a crumb from a chain restaraunt I will hunt you down and do unspeakable things to you. :ols:

Have fun and take lots of pictures. It's a fantastic city.

There's almost too much to do in NY for 3 days. I know it's a total tourist thing to do, but the bus tours that go around the city are actually pretty fun and a great way to see the city. The tour at NBC is pretty cool too, you get to see the Saturday Night Live studio, Jimmy Fallon's studio, and where they shoot Sunday Night Football.

Out of curiosity, my wife and I are seeing Phantom of the Opera, but it's in the theater district of Times Square. Is this considered off-Broadway? I'm just curious, I figured we'd be up around Rockefeller Center, on the actual Broadway street, but I've only been to New York once, 12 years ago, and don't remember too much about it.

Out of curiosity, my wife and I are seeing Phantom of the Opera, but it's in the theater district of Times Square. Is this considered off-Broadway? I'm just curious, I figured we'd be up around Rockefeller Center, on the actual Broadway street, but I've only been to New York once, 12 years ago, and don't remember too much about it.

I think there are, like, two theaters on Broadway itself and I'm pretty sure they were both built in the last ten years. "Broadway" is a general term for the Theater District. I think the majority of the "big" theaters are actually on West 45th, but it's been a while since I was there.

"Off Broadway" refers more to budget than location. It's like the difference between "Studio" and "Independent" when it comes to film.

Also, Coyote Ugly is awesome if you want to spend your evening with people from New Jersey.

Phantom is playing at the Majestic, which I'm pretty sure has always been its home on Broadway (that's where I saw it in 1992). It's on West 44th.

---------- Post added April-5th-2011 at 10:19 AM ----------

that hole in the wall dumpling shop has a name - its called Joe's Shanghai and its phenomenal.

Because there is only one hole in the wall dumpling shop in Chinatown?

I find Chinatown to be borderline nauseating to be honest.

---------- Post added April-5th-2011 at 10:20 AM ----------

I'm going with my girl to NY on the 21st for 3 days..What are things we should do other than the obvious Times Square, Central Park, ect..I'm 21 and my girl is 19.

21 and 19? I assume you are sleeping on a futon in somebody's apartment in Williamsburg or Jersey City then?

At that age, I would go to Washington Square and try to score a dime bag and then just wander aimlessly. Try not to end up in a snuff film.

By the way, I'm reading Patti Smith's memoir "Just Kids" now. It's about her early years in New York and her relationship with Robert Mapplethorpe. It's a truly awesome read. Beautifully written about a New York that simply does not exist any longer.

Yeah, not really sure what you like to do or what your budget is.

You probably like bars, so go get a drink at McSorleys

Which is a great place to hang out if you really like people from Long Island.

I'm going to sound like an old fogey, but I swear to God that I went to McSorley's in '93 and it was empty on a Saturday night. I walked by it in '06 and it looked like a club in Atlantic City. What the **** happened there?

Archived