Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 Major League Baseball Thread

StillUnknown

First of all *ahem* Bucs 4-2.

Now, to your question.

1 - Speed guy who hits for average. I want .300 and 30 stolen bases.

2 - Average guy with RBI potential. I'm looking for .280, 70 RBIs, can steal if he has to.

3 - Pop and average here. .275, 30 HRs.

4 - My bomber. He can hit .255 or .260, as long as he goes yard 40 times.

5 - My favorite slot. You can put any good hitter in here. Can be a .315 hitter with 15-20 HRs, or a .270 guy with 25-30.

6 - Now you're getting into your mix guys. Jeff King was a good guy here, or would've been if the PIrates were that good. Give me .280 and 15.

7 - Middle infielders most likely. Singles hitters.

8 - Weakest guy in an NL lineup. Whoever it is.

9 - Pitcher. Real teams don't use a DH. Give me Orel Hershiser, .400 guy. :)

I wouldn't say that all first basemen are power hitters. I mean sure, you look at Pujols and Adrian Gonzalez and Joey Votto and you could attempt to deduce that, but they play first mainly because they are strong and smart.

I don't think coaches put players into positions for their offensive capabilities at all- of course, if you have two equally good defensive players at the same position, then I'm sure the coach looks at offensive capabilities. But good defense is essential.

As for your second question, the person batting 4th (and sometimes 5th) is considered cleanup. The guy that's first in the lineup is usually really fast- someone that can get on base by either hitting strong ground balls or line drives or can bunt and beat the ball to the bag. These guys don't swing for the fences.

Second hitter is a solid, consistent hitter that can also get on base.

Third guy is similar, but probably also has some power to him.

9th is most likely the pitcher (if it's the NL)...but it irks me that the national league doesn't give the pitchers a lot of batting practice, because I feel they could make a difference in the game. As for hitters 6, 7, and 8- it's up to the coach. The coach doesn't want to go in order from best to worst hitter in those three spots, because that lacks strategy and you want someone to pick up the slack for your pitcher.

Thank you both. And yes, H_H...the DH is a bull**** and I hope it never makes its way into the National League.

I also agree with you, MissU. The way I see it, the pitcher is another member of the team and should take batting practice like everyone else. Can you imagine how much of an asset a solid pitcher with the ability hit can be?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-iT0J_gFotIsL2z7ietyI4X1dX1mG8euWG_MDMC2RGKwMv95-

N.L. for life :D

Okay, some things I've always wondered about baseball in general:

1.) What kind of offensive performance do people expect out of certain position players (example: first basemen are usually power hitters, pitchers bunt, etc.)

2.) What kind of hitter do you want in each line up spot (Example: 4th or 5th batter on the lineup hits for power, drives in RBIs)

1. On base percentage, patience, baserunning skill, speed (in that order

2. On base percentage, hitting skill (moving runners over, taking pitches)

3. Best hitter in terms of OPS

4. Greatest power potential as well as someone to puts in it play

5. Someone who closely resembles 4.

6. In a good team, another difficult out with some power and decent all around hitter. In excellent lineups, he's called the Oh **** guy, as in "oh, ****, they have him, too?"

7. Best option available.

8. Best option available.

9. Best option available. (In the NL, lame pitcher)

In terms of position. Your 1b, 3b, Rf and Lf are supposed to be your biggest bats. SS, 2B and C (in that order) can often be black holes, but good teams often have better options than "replacement" level players.

Are you aware of that Padres Breakfast deal thingy

Yeah, it's always been appealing, but we can never get down to Petco that early on a Sunday! I'd like to try it at least once before I move back.

I'm going to the Dodgers/Padres game this Saturday, and I may be going on Sunday as well!

1. Good on base percentage

2. Good on base percentage

3. Good on base percentage

4. Good on base percentage

5. Good on base percentage

6. Good on base percentage

7. Good on base percentage

8. Good on base percentage

9. Pitcher

The corner positions are typically "power" hitters not because God or Miller Huggins came down on high and declared it to be so, but because power hitters are generally a certain body type. And that body type is generally not the kind capable of going deep into the hole behind third base or covering center field. Having a genetic freak like Alex Rodriguez at short stop (the position he still should be playing by the way) is an advantage because you don't have to sacrifice offense for defense or defense for offense (like you had to do in the latter days of Cal Ripken or in the current days of Derek Jeter).

The question is, how much are you giving up.

If I had 8 Albert Pujols, I would have Albert Pujols playing catcher and shortstop. Which means my defense would suck, but I would be scoring 15 runs a game.

1. Good on base percentage

2. Good on base percentage

3. Good on base percentage

4. Good on base percentage

5. Good on base percentage

6. Good on base percentage

7. Good on base percentage

8. Good on base percentage

9. Pitcher

LKB = NL Manager of the Year.

Teams have slow starts (ahem, O's fan here!) but wow. A team expected to win 100 games starting out 0-6. Obviously they will be fine, but it's still shocking!

I agree. I think the Sox will right and the ship abd be fine, but I don't think anyone saw them starting 0-6. Esepcially being swept by the Indians.

"Major League Baseball recently notified Manny Ramirez of an issue under Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program," the statement said. "Rather than continue with the process under the Program, Ramirez has informed MLB that he is retiring as an active player. If Ramirez seeks reinstatement in the future, the process under the Drug Program will be completed. MLB will not have any further comment on this matter."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6310125

Archived