Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 Major League Baseball Thread

StillUnknown

While that would mean a lot more winning, I'm not sure O's fans would want their team to be like the 2010 Padres. :ols:

and why not? It was a little heartbreaking, sure, but it's gotta be better than having a horrible season and being at the bottom of your division

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b8JMz

Yankees Caught Cheating?

The New York Yankees say they are finished flashing hand signals from the stands — at least for now. General manager Brian Cashman confirmed that the team received a call Saturday from the commissioner’s office inquiring about a club employee relaying information to players after each pitch on opening day… Major League Baseball rules prohibit club staff from using hand signals to communicate pitch types or speeds to players… “There’s nothing to hide. We’ve got nothing to hide.” Cashman said Weber wears headphones during home games so he can communicate with the scoreboard operator, relaying pitch information that can be displayed in center field for the fans’ enjoyment. Cashman said Joe Garagiola Jr., baseball’s new disciplinarian, spoke Saturday morning with Yankees vice president and assistant general manager Jean Afterman about the issue. Cashman said there was no mention of any potential punishment and he thought Garagiola was satisfied with the team’s explanation. “I think he recognizes the fact that there’s no real advantage here. But at the same time there is a bulletin out that says you’re not supposed to do that…” Cashman said… Cashman said he thinks Garagiola plans to review the policy next week with former Yankees manager Joe Torre, now MLB’s executive vice president for baseball operations. In the meantime, the Yankees will put a stop to those hand signals from the stands.

click link for rest....some nsfw.....

Man, don't bring up Bedard. He could have been something special.

He sure was special in that first game I linked. I remember that game and how he mowed us down like it was nothing. But tonight...not so much.

Nelson Cruz has a home run in each of the first four games this season. Only two other players have done that before: Mark McGwire and Willie Mays.

hahaha I want to see a video with commentary on that.

Andrus isn't known for his show of power. He is a singles, doubles, and triples hitter. He hadn't hit a home run for all of the 2010 season. It had been 705 ABs since he last hit one in 2009. So when he hit one tonight, the rest of the team gave him the cold shoulder in the dugout as a joke. :ols:

I don't think it links directly, so just scroll to the clip that says "Andrus starts the scoring with a homer."

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?c_id=mlb&content_id=13466225&query=game_pk%3D286945

edit: what makes it even more funny is the fact that just before Andrus hit that home run, the announcers were just talking about the last time he had hit a home run. Set it up perfectly. :ols:

edit x2: I'm pretty sure that is some guy yelling "oh ****!" when Andrus makes contact. :ols:

He sure was special in that first game I linked. I remember that game and how he mowed us down like it was nothing. But tonight...not so much.

Nelson Cruz has a home run in each of the first four games this season. Only two other players have done that before: Mark McGwire and Willie Mays.

bedard did better than i expected. the error by ichiro didnt help though.

cruz is a beast. a dark horse for mvp. kinsler has been looking really good too. he looks fully healthy and a lot faster/more agile than last year.

bedard did better than i expected. the error by ichiro didnt help though.

cruz is a beast. a dark horse for mvp. kinsler has been looking really good too. he looks fully healthy and a lot faster/more agile than last year.

yeah I forgot about the fact that it was the Ichiro misjudgment on that line drive that the Rangers scored two runs because of later. So Bedard was probably better than each of the three Red Sox starters the Rangers just finished bludgeoning.

I'm nervous about Cruz. He started last season about the same way he started this year. He had 7 HRs in the first two weeks of 2010, and then he got injured and spent three stints on the DL the rest of the season. Kinsler can be fragile too. I hate to say it, but it's probably just a matter of time before at least one of those two gets injured. If healthy for all of last season, Cruz puts up monster numbers.

yeah I forgot about the fact that it was the Ichiro misjudgment on that line drive that the Rangers scored two runs because of later. So Bedard was probably better than each of the three Red Sox starters the Rangers just finished bludgeoning.

I'm nervous about Cruz. He started last season about the same way he started this year. He had 7 HRs in the first two weeks of 2010, and then he got injured and spent three stints on the DL the rest of the season. Kinsler can be fragile too. I hate to say it, but it's probably just a matter of time before at least one of those two gets injured. If healthy for all of last season, Cruz puts up monster numbers.

i agree, im hoping that kinsler keeps it together this year though and finds his power stroke while maintaining the average. cuz honestly, if he stays healthy all year, he could easily end up with 100 runs, 90 rbis, 40 steals, 30+ homers, and .280 average.

i agree, im hoping that kinsler keeps it together this year though and finds his power stroke while maintaining the average. cuz honestly, if he stays healthy all year, he could easily end up with 100 runs, 90 rbis, 40 steals, 30+ homers, and .280 average.

I was originally against Kinsler moving to the lead off spot. I had wanted Andrus to stay there, with Kinsler a little further down. But so far Kinsler has made me change my mind. Other than the power he's shown, he's also been very patient and drawn some walks. But I guess with all the home runs, pitchers are starting to get scared of throwing him a meatball.

rp, LOL I love when teams do that. And like you said, Andrus hadn't hit a HR in forever. That makes it even more funny. Great stuff. The Braves do stuff like that all the time, too. That's just one of the many great things about baseball.

yeah I've always found it funny when teammates do the silent treatment. I also loved how when Andrus got to the dugout, and after he received a high five from the bat boy, he gave a high five to an imaginry person as if there were actually people there to greet him. :ols:

Have I mentioned lately that I love the Teixeira deal? Matt Harrison was part of it too and he pitched a gem on Sunday vs Boston. But Andrus...man I love that kid.

Archived