Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 Major League Baseball Thread

StillUnknown

So after almost two weeks of baseball, the Division leaders are(AL only)

Baltimore

Cleveland

Texas

Looks like the AL will have some surprises this year.

Right.

Roughly 6% of the games played.

---------- Post added April-12th-2011 at 09:02 AM ----------

O's and Indians are a surprise, but definitely not the Rangers. ;)
The Rangers rotation as it currently stands though is pretty bad. Even I don't see us returning to the playoffs. Unless of course we make some mid season trade like with Cliff Lee last year.
:ols: No way do we get back there again this season. Just no way. I wish though!
Well I certainly hope you are right. But having CJ Wilson enter the season as our "ace" isn't a good thing. He had a great season last year. Just awesome. But him being the #2 or #3 guy is much better. Scott Feldman had a great 2009 for us, entered 2010 as our opening day starter, and then completely bombed. I'm hoping CJ doesn't follow the same pattern. And with Colby Lewis...wow. Who knew that a few years in Japan could completely turn around a pitcher's career? I can't even believe that was the same guy who once sucked for us and a couple other teams before. But will he repeat last year's success? I can't say. 2010 for Texas was all about things coming together beautifully. Players having career years (Lewis, Wilson, Josh Hamilton, Nelson Cruz, etc.) and things just flat out going our way like it was a movie. While I do think that the Rangers are opening 2011 as a stronger team than how they opened 2010, there is just no way I see us repeating any playoff success without making a similar move at the trade deadline to the Cliff Lee deal. Even if Wilson and Lewis continue 2011 where they left off in 2010, spots 3-5 in the rotation are shady at best. Which is the main reason why I wish the team had decided to put Feliz as a starter. They just recently announced that he would remain the closer.

:ols:

Well played EG. Not gonna lie, I have definitely been proven wrong about our rotation so far. Especially the 3-5 spots who are a combined 6-0 with a miniscule ERA. You can't blame me for being skeptical though, as I was hardly the only one. I underestimated their determination to prove people wrong that they weren't just a one-hit wonder. I didn't think they were a one-hit wonder, but I absolutely did not see them starting this season as well as they have. I will not make any predictions and just ride the Ranger train and enjoy it just like I did a year ago. I will appreciate it even more while I'm watching the Mavs lose in the first round.

edit: and that 3rd quote you posted of mine was in reference to them returning to the World Series, not just the playoffs. Just for the record.

And what's worse is the situation in which he got injured. There was a pop out to the 3rd baseman in foul territory between third base and home. Not far at all. Hamilton is on third and TAGS home because the catcher was pretty far from the plate. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. He almost made it but the catcher got back in time to barely tag him. At first I thought it was just a balls out play by Hamilton, but it turns out the 3rd base coach told him to. Either way, not a normal play at all. **** me...

He is such a great ball player, but I swear he's made out of porcelain.

I imagine all the drugs and alcohol haven't helped his body.

Could say the same thing about the post strike Ken Griffey Jr. After the strike, he kept getting injured. If he hadn't, his numbers would probably rival the best of the best.

And what's worse is the situation in which he got injured. There was a pop out to the 3rd baseman in foul territory between third base and home. Not far at all. Hamilton is on third and TAGS home because the catcher was pretty far from the plate. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. He almost made it but the catcher got back in time to barely tag him. At first I thought it was just a balls out play by Hamilton, but it turns out the 3rd base coach told him to. Either way, not a normal play at all. **** me...

Good, aggressive base running. With that pitching staff, the Rangers have to play like no lead is safe until Feliz gets the ball. Frankly, I think the third base coach overestimated Hamilton's speed. And he had no way of knowing that Hamilton would break his arm.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/13/josh-hamilton-is-still-complaining-about-his-third-base-coach/

Yesterday Josh Hamilton blamed his third base coach, Dave Anderson, for the play at the plate in which Hamilton broke his arm. He said it was “stupid” to send him and that he knew better, but followed orders anyway.

He’s back at the park today and he has downgraded his assessment from “stupid” to “dumb.” But he’s not contrite about throwing Anderson under the bus:

Quote and more in link.

Ok RP. Defend your boy.

EDIT: Looks like he apologized in a closed door meeting with the coach.

I had a discussion about this on the Cowboys forum yesterday. I'm not gonna defend Hamilton because he was 100% wrong in what he said. When a 3rd base coach waves a player home when they are rounding third, it is because the player can't see what is going on. The difference here is that Hamilton could see what was going on as he was standing on 3rd. The coach may have told him to go home, but he can make his own judgment call on the situation. The coach didn't make him do anything. If Hamilton didn't think he could make it, he wouldn't have gone.

I had a discussion about this on the Cowboys forum yesterday. I'm not gonna defend Hamilton because he was 100% wrong in what he said. When a 3rd base coach waves a player home when they are rounding third, it is because the player can't see what is going on. The difference here is that Hamilton could see what was going on as he was standing on 3rd. The coach may have told him to go home, but he can make his own judgment call on the situation. The coach didn't make him do anything. If Hamilton didn't think he could make it, he wouldn't have gone.

I agree with Hamilton that it was stupid for him to send him. However, he shouldn't have said it.

I don't think you send your MVP home in a situation like that. I mean, it was the first inning, and it was inevitably gonna be bang bang play. And, like Hamilton said, the only chance he had of scoring on a play like that was to go head first. Really dumb decision my Anderson.

I agree with Hamilton that it was stupid for him to send him. However, he shouldn't have said it.

I don't think you send your MVP home in a situation like that. I mean, it was the first inning, and it was inevitably gonna be bang bang play. And, like Hamilton said, the only chance he had of scoring on a play like that was to go head first. Really dumb decision my Anderson.

Yes but it was still ultimately Hamilton's decision to go home. The coach isn't making him do anything. Hamilton is a big boy and can make decisions on his own.

Watching 4SD now. Something that most SD people can't get :ols:

Man, I'd gladly pay 25 dollars per month just to watch Padres games just for Dick Enberg. This is just surreal and completely awesome to be able to watch this, even if it's just a free preview. I am very happy :)

If you haven't watched it - I highly recommend the free preview of the show "The Franchise" on Showtime.

It's going to introduce America to the cast of miSFits that we in Northern California fell in love with.

It's free on Showtime's website - --> http://sports.sho.com/#/baseball/videos/501

Remind me to check this out when I get home. Or I'll just try to remind myself. :ols:

Yes I read a piece in the LA Times about that series, should be interesting

Like 24/7 for MLB.

New Rangers TV guy seems alright but some of the other Rangers fans on "that other forum" don't like him

dude, he sucks. John Rhadigan knows nothing about baseball and is painful to listen to. Even Josh Lewin haters want Lewin back. Rhadigan seriously said earlier this week "Rangers' ace Justin Verlander." He did. I heard it with my own ears. He says "Yes he did!" for some home run calls. And "there you go, boys!" after the final out of a win. He makes me hate listening to the TV broadcast when it used to be the opposite. He's a nice guy and means well, and he's good as a post game or pre-game host, but as play-by-play simply doesn't cut it. I'm gonna have to start muting the TV and listen on the radio as I watch. Eric Nadel is one of the best in the business.

At one point in the offseason a Red Sox fan on another forum not named ES bragged about the Red Sox going to the World Series based off great pitching. Alarmed by this statement, I prepared a reply which mocked the Red Sox pitching, saying it wasn't that great. The statement was never put on that forum, since I probably edited it to say something inoffensive.

That being said,

http://twitter.com/AndrewSiciliano/statuses/59075635942928384

The Red Sox have now allowed 79 runs, most in baseball. In danger of falling to 2-10

Archived