Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 Major League Baseball Thread

StillUnknown

Thanks. I needed to be slapped in the face with that.

---------- Post added February-1st-2012 at 11:09 AM ----------

Madson signed with the Reds. One year for like 8 mill or something. Phillies signed Papelbon to be their closer. Awful deal. The Jayson Werth of deals in 2012.

He did? How did I miss that.

Interesting move by the Reds. With Pujols and Fielder gone, that division is open for the taking. And they have a pretty darn good rotations right now. Cueto, Latos, Bailey and Arroyo are going to be good. I don't know if making Aroldis Chapman a starter will work out though. I think they end up moving him back to the bullpen.

Still, they have Joey Votto. He's pretty much the best first baseman in the NL now.

Some of the Nats guys are getting a little ahead of themselves in here. Listen, I think the Nats are going to be a solid team this year and could be in the running for a WC spot. But they are definitely not a lock for it now or in the future. The NL has some really good teams. Phillies, Braves, Marlins, Brewers, Cardinals, Reds, Diamondbacks, and Giants. And I'd expect to see the Cubs and Dodgers added to that list in the near future.

The Nats still have work to do and alot of their team is on the shoulders of Strasburg. If he can stay healthy for the next few years, yes they could very well earn a WC spot or win the division. But don't get ahead of yourselves just yet.

Some of the Nats guys are getting a little ahead of themselves in here. Listen, I think the Nats are going to be a solid team this year and could be in the running for a WC spot. But they are definitely not a lock for it now or in the future. The NL has some really good teams. Phillies, Braves, Marlins, Brewers, Cardinals, Reds, Diamondbacks, and Giants. And I'd expect to see the Cubs and Dodgers added to that list in the near future.

The Nats still have work to do and alot of their team is on the shoulders of Strasburg. If he can stay healthy for the next few years, yes they could very well earn a WC spot or win the division. But don't get ahead of yourselves just yet.

I don't think anyone is putting the Nats in the WS this year. When Fielder was a possibility, I for one thought they were contenders. I agree they are a year away.

Marlins and Brewers are probably not ahead of the Nats though. Brewers lost a ton this offseason. Dont forget Braun is suspended for fifty games. Cubs and Dodgers? Um... Cubs are awful. In total rebuilding mode. Dodgers aren't contenders before the Nats at this point either.

NL East is very tough: maybe the best division in all of baseball. Nats should be "in the hunt" for most of the year.

Which is exactly what I've been saying for a while now. But ... we have another thread for that :D

I didn't say anyone said they would win the WS. They could be good this year, but there are still questions around the team. How much will Stras pitch? Can he stay healthy? Who's playing CF? Can Morse and Espinosa repeat what they did last year? How will Harper fair when he comes up? So while they will probably be competitive, I think its a little too early to say they are getting a WC spot this year.

As for the Marlins and Brewers, I'd say they are at least on par with the Nats. The Brewers still have a good pitching staff with Grienke, Marcum, and Gallardo. We also don't know what will happen with the Braun suspension. The Marlins have some good pieces in Reyes, Sanchez, and Ramirez on offense. Plus Buerhle and Johnson (if he he can stay healthy) to man their pitching staff. Again, not saying these teams are better than the Nats, just that they offer more competition in a tough NL.

I said the Cubs and Dodgers could be competitive in a few years. The Dodgers have 2 of the best young players in the league in Kershaw and Kemp. Plus once they get new ownership in place, they will be more active in adding players. The Cubs with Theo will be much improved over the coming years. He's got money to play with and you know he will bring in good players there over time.

Like I said, the Nats should be competitive. But I don't see them making the playoffs this year.

I didn't say anyone said they would win the WS. They could be good this year, but there are still questions around the team. How much will Stras pitch? Can he stay healthy? Who's playing CF? Can Morse and Espinosa repeat what they did last year? How will Harper fair when he comes up? So while they will probably be competitive, I think its a little too early to say they are getting a WC spot this year.

As for the Marlins and Brewers, I'd say they are at least on par with the Nats. The Brewers still have a good pitching staff with Grienke, Marcum, and Gallardo. We also don't know what will happen with the Braun suspension. The Marlins have some good pieces in Reyes, Sanchez, and Ramirez on offense. Plus Buerhle and Johnson (if he he can stay healthy) to man their pitching staff. Again, not saying these teams are better than the Nats, just that they offer more competition in a tough NL.

I said the Cubs and Dodgers could be competitive in a few years. The Dodgers have 2 of the best young players in the league in Kershaw and Kemp. Plus once they get new ownership in place, they will be more active in adding players. The Cubs with Theo will be much improved over the coming years. He's got money to play with and you know he will bring in good players there over time.

Like I said, the Nats should be competitive. But I don't see them making the playoffs this year.

Strasburg will go 165 innings. Same as Zimmermann.

Espinosa had better improve from last year. Especially the second half. Guy struck out way, way too much. This team can not afford to lead baseball in strikeouts like it did last year.

CF ... uh ... someone from the stands? Probably a platoon of Bernadina and Cameron. At least until Harper gets called up. He won't start with the club. I'd be surprised if he is up before the end of June. He would have to really mash in Hagerstown and Syracuse. The more we keep him in the minors, the longer we'll get to hold on to him.

I expect the Nationals to be in the second WC race (within 4 or 5 games) right up until Strasburg is done for the season. At that point, our lack of pitching depth will show and the Nats will come out with 82-85 wins. If the Nats do that and Ian Desmond either hits for the entire season like he does the last two months or gets benched in favor of Lombardozzi, then the Nationals' season is a success.

I think the Marlins will disappoint this season. Ramirez, Reyes and Ozzie are going clash. Reyes, Ramirez and the pitching staff will struggle to stay healthy.

Brewers will be good, but will have to fight to come back with Braun's suspension and Fielder's departure. Personally, I think Grienke is overrated a little.

And maybe the NL will win a World Series?

I don't really disagree with any of that.

---------- Post added February-1st-2012 at 12:39 PM ----------

Strasburg will go 165 innings. Same as Zimmermann.

Espinosa had better improve from last year. Especially the second half. Guy struck out way, way too much. This team can not afford to lead baseball in strikeouts like it did last year.

CF ... uh ... someone from the stands? Probably a platoon of Bernadina and Cameron. At least until Harper gets called up. He won't start with the club. I'd be surprised if he is up before the end of June. He would have to really mash in Hagerstown and Syracuse. The more we keep him in the minors, the longer we'll get to hold on to him.

I expect the Nationals to be in the second WC race (within 4 or 5 games) right up until Strasburg is done for the season. At that point, our lack of pitching depth will show and the Nats will come out with 82-85 wins. If the Nats do that and Ian Desmond either hits for the entire season like he does the last two months or gets benched in favor of Lombardozzi, then the Nationals' season is a success.

I think the Marlins will disappoint this season. Ramirez, Reyes and Ozzie are going clash. Reyes, Ramirez and the pitching staff will struggle to stay healthy.

Brewers will be good, but will have to fight to come back with Braun's suspension and Fielder's departure. Personally, I think Grienke is overrated a little.

And maybe the NL will win a World Series?

I basically agree with all that. Except the Brewers are in real trouble. Honestly, Braun is going to be suspended. I would be SHOCKED if he got any reduction at all. Why would he?

He won't. He shouldn't.

Lol, Central is ripe for the taking. Though I do believe the Cards will be okay. They get Wainwright back and still have good hitting with Berkman and Holliday.

Why won't Braun be suspended? Why shouldn't he be?

Apparently his test was off the charts fail. Every single person who has been caught has come up with some similar excuse: I drank bourbon the night before the tour de france, I eat a lot of blueberries. Honestly, why should I believe Braun and not Barry Bonds?

http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2012/02/source-rangers-josh-hamilton-h.html

Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton, recovering from alcohol and drug addictions, had a relapse this week in his quest to remain sober.

According to individuals familiar with the episode, Hamilton drank alcohol on Monday night in an area bar. The circumstances that led to Hamilton's use of alcohol could not be determined.

In a statement, the Rangers said they were ``aware of a situation, but we don't have further comment at this time.''

This was Hamilton's second alcohol-related relapse in just over three years. In January, 2009, he drank to excess in a bar in Tempe, Ariz.

Hope he gets the help he needs. With a contract situation pending, this is not a good look for him.

I still love Hamilton and hope we can get an extension done before the season. He probably won't be worth the money he gets because of injury issues, but when he is in the lineup, he is always a threat. His 2010 season was so awesome that he won MVP without even playing the final month of the season. He's scary good and I want him to stay here. He's also probably the nicest guy off the field on the whole team. I've been lucky enough to meet him.

I still love Hamilton and hope we can get an extension done before the season. He probably won't be worth the money he gets because of injury issues, but when he is in the lineup, he is always a threat. His 2010 season was so awesome that he won MVP without even playing the final month of the season. He's scary good and I want him to stay here. He's also probably the nicest guy off the field on the whole team. I've been lucky enough to meet him.
He's a North Carolinian.:)

Why won't Braun be suspended? Why shouldn't he be?

Apparently his test was off the charts fail. Every single person who has been caught has come up with some similar excuse: I drank bourbon the night before the tour de france, I eat a lot of blueberries. Honestly, why should I believe Braun and not Barry Bonds?

I'm saying he shouldn't get a reduction.

That's is tragic. The guy's one of the best power hitters of this generation, yet his alcoholism always seems to get in the way.

I hope he gets help soon.

The ways these things usually go for addicts, they fall off of the wagon every so often, but then they jump back on. An isolated relapse is not a huge problem, as long as it is identified as a relapse and not a change in mindset, i.e. "I can be a social drinker again, not a big deal."

• 3 weeks later...

Archived