Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN iReport: Students Civil Rights Violated by University Police (George Mason)

No Excuses

Even if that version could be believed (acknowledging that it's entirely one sided) someone needs to tell that kid "when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging"

He lost the study room and threw a hissy fit. Was he justified? Maybe. But risking interaction with police over a trivial moral victory is absurd, especially for a man dealing with a complaint from a woman. Plus lets face reality there is no rule granting him use of that room after he left and the POLICE aren't going to care about silent "understood" rules. If you trust the police or not odds are good you realize that anything that avoids being the target of an investigation is a good thing. For a student that wants to study law he missed the significance of the "locked in" complaint big time. As I was reading the story I immediately noticed it and what it means when communicated to the police. That's no small thing especially when the "victim" is hell bent on getting him into trouble and happens to be female. These things snow ball that girl isn't going to tell everyone she made it up, she's going to grow the lie. No doubt by the time her dad heard about her terrifying experience it was sufficiently convincing and according to the story dad was a cop which explains the second arrest.

For you young people out there: Always think "what is the benefit? what is the risk?" when making a decision. In this case the best case possible was "use of a study room" and the worst was "criminal charges". Easy decision IMO. Being right doesn't matter if you can't communicate that convincingly to others.

that's basically a blog. it's not vetted by cnn at all. who knows if there is more to the story or not.....either way, destino is spot on, imo.

Hence I made sure to put 'iReport' in the title so people know it's not an actual CNN article. :)

I agree with Destino as well but I know from my own experience of living in dorms that campus police are good at diffusing situations that aren't all that serious. The situation in this one escalated far more than it really needed to.

What Major Harris posted is what I'm thinking. I feel bad for the kid but this is a pretty one-sided piece. That being said, the girl in the story...I worked with someone like her. Her father was an Executive Director in my agency and she was brought in as a summer intern. She pretty much did what she wanted (which was nothing) and if anyone gave her work to do, it was always "Do you know who my father is?" or some variation.

She and I got along fine because I was lower level at the time and not in charge of her, but man was she a pain in the ass to management. When reading this and seeing the girls lines about her father and what she was going to do, I could just picture this chick I worked with being that girl, which makes this very believeable.

1. dont leave your **** in a room if you are going to leave it... tons of people sit in those damn study rooms for long periods of time and aren't actually studying, but yet socializing so stay with your stuff or the room is free game.

2. a crying female can get away with murder - known fact

3. seems way far fetched and id like to know the true facts

As off topic as this sounds, who just leaves their stuff while they leave the building? I guess I'm just crazy but whenever I was at the Johnson Center I would pack all my stuff just going downstairs to get something to eat.

As off topic as this sounds, who just leaves their stuff while they leave the building? I guess I'm just crazy but whenever I was at the Johnson Center I would pack all my stuff just going downstairs to get something to eat.

I never leave my stuff in a room like that...especially my laptop - that's just asking to be stolen

Amen! I see people do it all of the time in JC but thats just crazy.... I'm usually pretty trusting but I would never leave my laptop, phone, books, etc... to the open market like that

3. seems way far fetched and id like to know the true facts

I agree that the story doesn't provide accounts from all involved. I'd like to hear from the girl and the cops. That said, what part of the i-report sounds "far-fetched"? It sounded very plausible to me.

I agree that the story doesn't provide accounts from all involved. I'd like to hear from the girl and the cops. That said, what part of the i-report sounds "far-fetched"? It sounded very plausible to me.

If I were a writer, I would make the story more interesting by throwing crazy, "far fetched" details in there. I am sure she took in the story from the guy in this case and he wanted to clear his name and strung it out a little bit.

Yeah put me in the boat of why would he even leave his stuff there for a couple minutes? I don't trust anyone I don't know, and he has no idea who will waltz into that room while he is away, even if it was only for seven minutes.

Also, put me in the boat of believing him over this girl. I go to mason and while there are some really cool folks there, there is also an abundance of girls and guys who think their you know what don't stink. And they have no problem acting like a bunch of spoiled brats. While there may be a little bit of twisting to this story, the police blew it waaaaayyyyy outta proportion, and this girl is the MO of a lot of the young folks that go there. Not all mind you, but there are a ton of them at GMU.

Yeah put me in the boat of why would he even leave his stuff there for a couple minutes? I don't trust anyone I don't know, and he has no idea who will waltz into that room while he is away, even if it was only for seven minutes.

Also, put me in the boat of believing him over this girl. I go to mason and while there are some really cool folks there, there is also an abundance of girls and guys who think their you know what don't stink. And they have no problem acting like a bunch of spoiled brats. While there may be a little bit of twisting to this story, the police blew it waaaaayyyyy outta proportion, and this girl is the MO of a lot of the young folks that go there. Not all mind you, but there are a ton of them at GMU.

Agreed, this is Fairfax County.... its always been like this. A bunch of young folk that think they are untouchable and this is the reality tv show "the OC" or "Leguna Beach"

Agreed, this is Fairfax County.... its always been like this. A bunch of young folk that think they are untouchable and this is the reality tv show "the OC" or "Leguna Beach"

yup, again, it's not everyone, but you could probably pick the accused out of a lineup. this is not just girls mind you, it's guys too. just that kind of mentality gets on my nerves.

Archived