Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Twenty-Eleven or Two-Thousand-Eleven?

Tulane Skins Fan

What year is it? Is it "twenty-eleven" or "two thousand eleven?" If its "two-thousand eleven" when do we go back to the way we count every other year by saying for example "twenty-eleven?"

It seems next year is definitely "twenty-twelve," but I thought this year would be "twenty-eleven" and I don't think that's translated.

What going on?????

:paranoid:

I don't really think it matters. Thinking about last century it was nineteen-oh-one and nineteen-eleven. For thise century I've been using two-thousand (nobody says twenty-oh-one a space odyssey), however I think it sounds better to use twenty from 2011 onwards.

See...I think from a consistency standpoint it should be twenty-eleven (just as everything after 2000 should have been), however I find myself saying two-thousand eleven.

ditto. twenty-eleven makes sense, but it sounds funny to me. twenty-ten and twenty twelve both sound weird to me too. the 1066 reference was a good one that made me reconsider.

You think twenty-eleven has more syllables than two-thousand-eleven?

No, it has more syllables than twenty-ten and twenty-twelve, which also have the alliteration going for them. That's why they sound more natural.

I don't really think it matters. Thinking about last century it was nineteen-oh-one and nineteen-eleven. For thise century I've been using two-thousand (nobody says twenty-oh-one a space odyssey), however I think it sounds better to use twenty from 2011 onwards.

Doesn't matter???? It is critical to our way of life!

Proper dates would be said something hundred and something something, like nineteen hundred and ninety two was when the Redskins won the superbowl. It comes from the Germanic roots of the English language as german numbers over 12 are something and something. Ex: 23 is drei-und-zwanzig (three and twenty) and when you get to dates above 999 you can break it in half and say neunzehn-hundert (nineteen hundred) drei-und-zwanzig (three and twenty or twenty three). I think you can say zweitausend elf (two thousand eleven) but I'm pretty sure if you put it in that format it is talking about a sum of money or a time or something. Its been a while since I took German, please correct everything I got wrong as my memory of that language is steadily fading. Either way I doubt they are saying the date is twenty hundred and eleven in Germany and neither are we. In English we have always split the date in half and pronounced it as digits in the 10's column. That means we always said nineteen ninety-two and not one thousand nine hundred ninety two. We talk about that in historical terms the same as well. The protestant reformation began in fifteen-seventeen. Pope Urban II came to power in ten-eighty-eight.

This would seem to indicate that if we were to continue our language tradition we would be saying every date since 2000 in the same format, since you couldn't say twenty zero-zero or twenty hundred without sounding strange, and twenty-aught sounds archaic at this point, we were really forced to say two thousand. That is what set the precedent to erase our historical diction. Even though if we were to follow the example of the last 999 years and say twenty oh-one or twenty-aught-one people had dubbed the new millenia the two thousands and so you have a lot of people who said two thousand one, two thousand two, two thousand three, etc.

I still think that a lot of this had to do with our reluctance to say twenty-oh-one or twenty-aught-one since it sounds a bit odd and antiquated- after all those weirdos in 1903 were all calling it nineteen-aught-three and for years many of us have chuckled at it for no apparent reason other than its an old term that seriously dates an old person or shows you that someone has shot a gun which fires the American invented thirty-aught six (30-06) ammunition. Once we hit 2010 however all of our excuses disappeared. It is once again extremely easy to go back to the dating system which we used with complete success for all of modern history. By historical precedent alone we should all be saying twenty-ten, twenty-eleven, twenty-twelve. There really isn't any point to saying two-thousand-eleven, two-thousand-twelve as it makes one's words even longer and more complex to say, not to mention it isn't how anybody has been saying dates in this language for at least a thousand years. Lets party like its one-thousand nine-hundred ninety-nine! Just doesn't carry the same ring. I say twenty-ten, and there really isn't any good reason for anybody to continue saying two thousand something at this point.

Archived