Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do you expect the Redskins rushing attack to look like in 2011?

s0crates

Let's discuss our 2011 backfield. In particular, I wonder who will start at HB next season. With the departure of Clinton Portis, running-back is now a position of need.

A couple of preliminaries:

1) Although I mention Portis, I do not mean this thread to turn into a discussion about CP. I know a lot of people have strong opinions about him, myself included, but there are several threads about that already. My concern here is the 2011 season.

2) Let's assume that owners and players act reasonable, and we have a 2011 season. I simply cannot imagine how anybody in their right mind could stop milking the NFL cash cow.

3) I know the lack of a consistent ground attack can be the result of poor offensive line play, and I would be glad to see us beef up the line, but I am specifically interested in running backs here.

As to the topic at hand:

1) Who will start next season? Torrain? In the likely event he gets hurt, who will back him up? I do not want a repeat of what I saw from our runners late last season.

2) Will we see better production in 2011 then we saw in 2009-2010? During the many weeks Portis has spent on IR over the last two years, the Redskins rarely had a consistent rushing attack, and rarely won. You might say that CP would have made no difference, and perhaps you would be right, but regardless of the cause we have not gotten good production from a running back in two years. Will 2011 be any different?

3) It seems to me that we need to bring somebody in at HB. I don't care if we find somebody in free agency or the draft, and I cannot think of any great prospects off the top of my head, but I do think we need to find a good runner this offseason somehow. You might be able to argue otherwise, but I just don't think Torrain and Williams inspire much confidence. Who should we bring in at HB?

Have a little more faith in Torain. Portis was a blow to us, undoubtedly, but Torain has shown he can shoulder the load. Keiland Williams is a decent third down receiving back, and James Davis could be a factor next year. We may very well be set at RB, having a couple diamonds in the rough.

If we do bring in someone, though, look for a late round pick to shine. Shanahan has a knack for finding gems later in the draft. I'm not too sold on any of the free agent RBs enough to give them the nod over who we have. Look for Jaquizz Rodgers or the RB from VA Tech in the later rounds.

I do think we'll have better production this year. Our line will get better, our RBs will have experience in the system, and hopefully our passing attack will improve, which should open up the running game.

I expect Torrain to start and to play well. Keiland will probably? be the third down back. Which would not be a half bad duo. The problem is lack of depth and Torrains history of injuries. IF he can stay healthy he will have a productive year. One thing we do know about Shanahan is he will probably take a running back in round 5. One thing that I don't want is a veteran brought in (unless his name starts with C and ends with linton Portis).

I think Keiland Williams and James Davis can be solid backs for the team, along with Torain. I saw a few flashes of potential from them last year. Honestly, RB is one of the last positions I'm worried about this upcoming season.

I can honestly say that the RB position is probably one of the positions on the team that I am least concerned about. We know that M.Shanahan is going to put a good starting RB on the field along a good back up.

But to answer the OP's question, IMHO I expect to see Torain starting with Davis more than likely backing him up. Just thinking about the combination of youth, speed, agility, quickness and power is very exciting.

I think Torain has proven that he can be a stud when healthy, he's just never healthy. So the real question is can Torain stay healthy... I doubt it, so that removes him from consideration as our starting RB, he's a great rotational #2 guy though.

I wouldn't mind bringing in a mid round draft pick like DeMarco Murray (trade Albert or McNabb?). He's got elusive talent, good speed, and is a receiving threat out of the backfield. I think he fits our ZBS pretty well so I'd understand bringing him in to rotate with a healthy Torain.

James Davis showed some real flashes of speed towards the end of the season. I think we need to see if he can show more of the same next year but that's 50/50, so Davis and Williams compete over the last RB spot (or we keep 4) and we'll have a solid stable.

Obviously we need to address the OL first before we worry about RB.

Personnel wise, I'm happy with the group of backs we have. Torrain and Williams (particularly catching out of the back-field) were real nice surprises, and Davis showed enough in the loss at the Giants to suggest this could be a real good, young group to rotate. Throw in what should be a much better, younger line, come season's start; both up front and the depth behind; and I don't have too many problems with the Redskins rushing potential to be pretty productive going forward.

The problem I do have is in the boneheaded OC and his selective use of both personnel (what happened to Davis for example after the loss in NY?); and his very strange calling of games and totally ignoring the run in certain situations when he's done everything prior to set it up. But I won't go off on one on Kyle or I'll be here all day.

One thing I do hope is that Darrel Young get's his chance at FB. Big and strong, who's shown to have real good hands when needed, it's time to give the kid a shot. I appreciate all Big Mike's done here, but he's been on the wane for a few years now if truth be told and I wouldn't be sorry to see the change to youth made.

Running back is the least of my concerns with this team going forward.

Hail.

Think the run game could be real good. Torain is nasty, if he can stay healthy he easily will have a 1,000 yard season, assuming the line can create the holes for him. Keiland could be a decent back up or a damn good third back IMO, I'd like to see the Redskins pick up another RB, maybe Scott from MD? He seems to be one of the better RB's in the draft that will probably be around late enough for the Redskins to steal. Torain, Scott and Williams would be a deadly tandem.

I'm more worried about who is going to play LG, RG and RT than I am about the rushing attack in general.

Center??? I put that at the top of the list, I think guards get handled and hopefully Brown continues to get back to PB level. I saw improvement there over the year when he was playing at his level.

As for the attack in general I expect to see this.....

pantiesattackp1.gif

The running game will be better. I think Shannahan was trying to catch lighting in a bottle last year with Parker and Johnson.

Torrain will be the man coming into the season. Look for the Skins to draft a running back in the 5th.

Some options:

DaRell Scott out of Maryland

Derrick Locke out of Kentucky

Roy Helu out of Nebraska

I'm more worried about who is going to play LG, RG and RT than I am about the rushing attack in general.

Totally agree. This is why I hope we get Ryan Harris to play RT and draft Rodney Hudson to play RG or C. LG could be filled for the short time by Montgomery or maybe Wood if he's ready. Thoughts?

---------- Post added March-5th-2011 at 03:00 PM ----------

The running game will be better. I think Shannahan was trying to catch lighting in a bottle last year with Parker and Johnson.

Torrain will be the man coming into the season. Look for the Skins to draft a running back in the 5th.

Some options:

DaRell Scott out of Maryland

Derrick Locke out of Kentucky

Roy Helu out of Nebraska

Out of these RBs mentioned if he's there I would like Scott from MD to be the one.

The problem I do have is in the boneheaded OC and his selective use of both personnel (what happened to Davis for example after the loss in NY?); and his very strange calling of games and totally ignoring the run in certain situations when he's done everything prior to set it up. But I won't go off on one on Kyle or I'll be here all day.

Kyle didn't have much too work with. Cut the guy some slack. Didn't have any problems in Houston.

Totally agree. This is why I hope we get Ryan Harris to play RT and draft Rodney Hudson to play RG or C. LG could be filled for the short time by Montgomery or maybe Wood if he's ready. Thoughts?

---------- Post added March-5th-2011 at 03:00 PM ----------

Out of these RBs mentioned if he's there I would like Scott from MD to be the one.

Problem with Scott is he has some durability issues.

Kyle didn't have much too work with. Cut the guy some slack. Didn't have any problems in Houston.

If I remember correctly, he did have some issues running the ball. He had success at times with Slaton, but was inconsistent. It didn't help that Slaton put the ball on the ground so often.

Problem with Scott is he has some durability issues.

If I remember correctly, he did have some issues running the ball. He had success at times with Slaton, but was inconsistent. It didn't help that Slaton put the ball on the ground so often.

He has Gibby but IF he can stay healthy he'd be a good P/U.

Archived