Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do you expect the Redskins rushing attack to look like in 2011?

s0crates

We'll be fine even without adding anybody.
Agreed.

I agree with the agree. Torain, Williams and Davis, behind a hopefully much improved O-Line (please please please update the OG and Center positions), will do just fine. They may not be the most elite backs in the league, but I think they'll be solid enough to do some damage to other teams.

Tiki Barber has filed to end his NFL retirement.

Hopefully after Giants release him, he doesn't end up in Skins camp like Larry Johnson and Willie Parker did last year.

Jim Fassel, president-GM-coach of Las Vegas Locomotives, plans to call Tiki Barber to let him know that a roster spot is waiting in the UFL.

Last we heard the UFL was having major financial issues, which puts them in the same situation as Tiki. The Locomotives may be Barber's only shot at a consistent workload, allowing him a shot to prove to NFL teams that he still has life left in his legs.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2011/03/09/2011-03-09_former_caoch_jim_fassel_says_he_would_welcome_tiki_barber_to_las_vegas_locomotiv.html

---------- Post added March-9th-2011 at 01:16 PM ----------

Offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan acknowledges that Ryan Torain has to be "helped out with other guys" in the backfield because of his checkered injury history.

"His problem has always been staying healthy," said Shanahan. "This was his first year he didn't have a major injury, but again he could not put together a string of more than three games." Both Shanahans are huge Torain backers, but they realize he runs "a little reckless." We have consistently recommended Torain as a Dynasty "sell." If the Redskins are smart, they will pair him with another back in a committee attack.

Source: Redskins.com

Coordinator Kyle Shanahan indicated that Keiland Williams' blocking on passing-downs was "crucial" late last season.

The Shanahans never did trust Williams as the primary ball carrier, so don't expect his role to grow in 2011. If it comes down to Williams or Ryan Torain on obvious passing downs, though, Williams will continue to pick up the snaps.

Source: Redskins.com

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football

• 3 weeks later...

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/42237218/ns/sports-player_news/

The Houston Chronicle suggests that Steve Slaton will be on the trade block prior to the 2011 season.

Beat writer John McClain confirms that it will be "hard" for Slaton to make the 2011 roster behind Arian Foster, Derrick Ward, and Ben Tate. "Ideally," writes McClain, "he looks good in preseason and they can get something for him. If there is a preseason." A zone-blocking club like the Redskins could have interest. Slaton also still has some potential as a change-up back.

As I mentioned previously in this thread, I'd be in favor of this. Preferably I'd rather Houston cut him and then pick him up as FA but I think he would be a nice fit. Of course, he'll have to get his fumbling issues fixed.

Have a little more faith in Torain. Portis was a blow to us, undoubtedly, but Torain has shown he can shoulder the load. Keiland Williams is a decent third down receiving back, and James Davis could be a factor next year. We may very well be set at RB, having a couple diamonds in the rough.

If we do bring in someone, though, look for a late round pick to shine. Shanahan has a knack for finding gems later in the draft. I'm not too sold on any of the free agent RBs enough to give them the nod over who we have. Look for Jaquizz Rodgers or the RB from VA Tech in the later rounds.

I do think we'll have better production this year. Our line will get better, our RBs will have experience in the system, and hopefully our passing attack will improve, which should open up the running game.

Let's not forget about Shawnbrey McNeal on the PS. He's a decent fit for a zone scheme. Not saying he'll amount to anything, but I could see him challenging James Davis for a roster spot.

I agree about Mcneal. He may be the burner we've been looking for.

Wow.. Everyone seems pretty content with what we have..

u know what that means.. All hell's gonna break loose, if we grab RB in the first two rounds :D (dude from VT in the 2nd?)

A "star" in the backfield could help our offense tremendously.. however, at what cost? I also saw sparks from the 3 up-and-comers currently on the roster...

it'll be interesting.. Regardless, HAIL!

edit: POST # 3456! FTW!

Summing up, GHH:

1)You think play action wasn't used enough;

2)You think a 58/42 split is out of line;

3)You think more runs should have been called on short yardage; and,

4)you blame Kyle for McNabb's RZ performance.

I think you've fallen victim to the "negative outcome bias." There is a "positive outcome bias" also. If you're unfamiliar with it, an outcome bias is a scientifically verified error made in evaluating the quality of a decision when the outcome of that decision is already known. It might also be called the "hindsight bias." Your error is most easily spotted in #4.

Back in August, I authored a thread entitled "Hey, Mike, how about a two-quarterback scheme?" in which I predicted McNabb's poor performances in the red zone and suggested that he be replaced by Beck or Grossman in the RZ , whichever proved to be most effective. I noted that Donovan's RZ stats were a "suckish 48%" in 2008-9 with Andy Reid's Eagles.

Last season, Mcnabb's RZ stats were on the same level as they were with the Eagles in 2008-9. Grossman's numbers were much better. Against the Boys, he went 4 for 4 despite two drops.

Kyle's play calling in the RZ didn't get smarter when Grossman replaced Mcnabb. The problem was McNabb's execution.

McNabb was actually better then Grossman in the RZ.

Torain and pick up Ronnie Brown on the cheap once Miami cuts him. :cool:
Is Ronnie Brown available?

I would be in favor of this move. That dude is a baller. He does have an injury history, but when healthy he is better than anybody we have, and better by a big margin in my opinion.

Have a little more faith in Torain. Portis was a blow to us, undoubtedly, but Torain has shown he can shoulder the load. Keiland Williams is a decent third down receiving back, and James Davis could be a factor next year. We may very well be set at RB, having a couple diamonds in the rough.

If we do bring in someone, though, look for a late round pick to shine. Shanahan has a knack for finding gems later in the draft. I'm not too sold on any of the free agent RBs enough to give them the nod over who we have. Look for Jaquizz Rodgers or the RB from VA Tech in the later rounds.

I do think we'll have better production this year. Our line will get better, our RBs will have experience in the system, and hopefully our passing attack will improve, which should open up the running game.

I love Rodgers. The Redskins don't have a back with tremendous speed and even though Williams was a decent pass catcher, he wasn't a game-breaker. I really like bringing a guy like Rodgers in who can make an impact with just a few touches. Redskins don't have a lot of players like that.

My other big thing is pass blocking. None of the RBs on the roster can do that. I've heard overall good thing about Roy Helu's pass blocking skills and he's a solid mid-round candidate IMO.

---------- Post added March-27th-2011 at 03:55 PM ----------

Being in NY I'd of thought you'd of seen the game at the Giants. 9 rushes for 40 yrds, with a long of 14 for a 4.4 average. He also caught the 3 passes thrown his way for 41 yards, with a long of 28 for a 13.7 yrd. average. All in a back-up roll to the starter that day he out shone, K. Williams.

Not outstanding numbers, but being that was only one of three times he dressed last year, and the second and only time he saw the actual field of play; there not too shabby numbers at all. Certainly not looking "terrible."

Why he wasn't activated to get a better look the remaining 4 games after that Giants loss you'd have to ask our boneheaded OC.

Hail.

I believe he was benched because he whiffed badly on a block in that NYG game. That's what I heard anyways.

Archived