Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

American Yachters Killed by Pirates - CBS News

Dan T.

CBS News is reporting that the American couple and two others who were captured by Somali pirates while on an around the world voyage have been killed.

The four Americans aboard a yacht hijacked by pirates off the coast of Somalia are dead.

(CBSNews) Updated 10:22 a.m. ET

Hijacked by Somali pirates last Friday off Oman, the Quest was being piloted toward the Somali coast - and was being shadowed by a U.S. Navy warship.

CBS News national security correspondent David Martin reports that gunshots aboard the yacht were heard, and the warship took action, dispatching forces to board the Quest.

The U.S. forces found the four Americans has been shot by their captors and attempted to deliver lifesaving medical care - but all four ultimately died of their wounds, the U.S. Central Command said in a statement.

"During the boarding of the Quest, the reaction force was engaged by pirates on board the vessel. Two pirates died during the confrontation and 13 were captured and detained along with two pirates already in US Forces custody," CENTCOM said. The forces also found the remains of two pirates already dead aboard the Quest.

The yacht passengers were Scott Adam and his wife, Jean, of Marina del Rey, Calif.; and Phyllis Macay and Bob Riggle, both of Seattle. CENTCOM said negotiations had been under way to try to win the couples' release.

Adam, in his mid-60s, had been an associate producer in Hollywood when he turned in a spiritual direction and enrolled in the seminary a decade ago, said Robert K. Johnston, a professor at Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena and a friend of Adam's.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/02/22/501364/main20034691.shtml

That's really a shame.

I've been keeping up on this story since news broke of the hijacking, and I keep asking myself why they would break off from the Blue Water Rally group to chart their own course, particularly in those waters. I just don't get it. It's not that they deserved this at all, I just don't understand why people would place themselves in such a potentially precarious situation when they could have stayed with the group.

Regardless, what a sad ending to the story. My heart definitely goes out to their loved ones.

Holy ****:

This is a tragedy, but by now people have to know to avoid waters off the coast of Somalia.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is clearly a tragedy but why were they sailing these seas, perhaps the most dangerous (due to piracy) in the entire world? You're just asking for trouble...and in this case death.

Actually they weren't anywhere near Somalia. They were enroute from India to Oman and were 240 nautical miles (275 miles) off the coast of Oman when they were overtaken.

_51169000_oman_somalia_feb11.gif

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^that's still within reach and still a mighty dangerous stretch of ocean. Also, from what I'm hearing, they broke off from a large pack of boats.

Exactly, that whole area is patrolled by pirates, and contrary to popular belief they aren't running around just off shore in wooden boats with out-board motors.

So the sentiment among some here is that the murdered victims are themselves partly to blame because the entire Indian Ocean should have been avoided because of the Somali pirates.

No...that's not what I took from those posts. I took it as the victims are certainly victims, but that there are risks associated with yachting in those waters.

So the sentiment among some here is that the murdered victims are themselves partly to blame because the entire Indian Ocean should have been avoided because of the Somali pirates.

I don't want to speak for anyone else, but I think it would be remiss to not discuss the cause/effect relationship between actions taken by the victims and the reported results. I also think it's possible to have that conversation without resorting to playing the "you're blaming the victim" card.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^that's still within reach and still a mighty dangerous stretch of ocean. Also, from what I'm hearing, they broke off from a larger pack of boats, apparently to distribute Bibles.
No...that's not what I took from those posts. I took it as the victims are certainly victims, but that there are risks associated with yachting in those waters.
I don't want to speak for anyone else, but I think it would be remiss to not discuss the cause/effect relationship between actions taken by the victims and the reported results. I also think it's possible to have that conversation without resorting to playing the "you're blaming the victim" card.

Good posts. I definitely agree.

That's how I see it as well.

They did indeed put themselves at risk.

The pirates are still murderers for killing them, but simple fact is these yachters separated from their race and ventured off alone in dangerous waters known for piracy.

In America, I am free to walk down any public street. But I'd be ****ing crazy to walk down some of them. Same situation. I'm free to go there. but I'm also free to realize that going there would certainly increase my risk of being a victim of crime.

~Bang

That's how I see it as well.

They did indeed put themselves at risk.

The pirates are still murderers for killing them, but simple fact is none of the other yachts left the race, and none of them had a problem.

In America, I am free to walk down any public street. But I'd be ****ing crazy to walk down some of them. Same situation.

~Bang

Solid post. This is just about right.

I honestly did not know that the entire northern Indian Ocean is now considered dangerous waters because of Somali pirates. It's an outrage that those ill-equipped ragtag thugs can terrorize such a vast stretch of international waters.

I had assumed that their domain was much more localized to the waters off the coast of Somalia.

I honestly did not know that the entire northern Indian Ocean is now considered dangerous waters because of Somali pirates. It's an outrage that those ill-equipped ragtag thugs can terrorize such a vast stretch of international waters.

I had assumed that their domain was much more localized to the waters off the coast of Somalia.

I can't claim to know that either. I guess my point is...if you're an American and unfamiliar with that area, wouldn't you do some fact-finding before leaving your group to branch out on your own? Maybe I'm just ignorant and a wimp, but with the recent pirate stories from the past several years, I'd be very hesitant in that entire ocean. Like I said, it could be ignorance and I might be lumping large sections of the world together irrationally, but I just assumed that whole area was bad.

No not to blame at all!!! The pirates are 100% to blame. Those places should be avoided though under current circumstances.

---------- Post added February-22nd-2011 at 01:05 PM ----------

It's an outrage that those ill-equipped ragtag thugs can terrorize such a vast stretch of international waters.

Who says they're ill equipped? What do you think they're doing with all that ransom money they get?

How many more people are these clowns going to kill or kidnap before a nation decides to wipe them out? Seriously it's 2011 and this crap is in the news ALL THE TIME. It's not going to fix itself. I don't care if these people dared to boat in the indian ocean... their murderers killed innocent americans and should be made an example of that their peg legged friends can understand.

Archived