Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

American Yachters Killed by Pirates - CBS News

Dan T.

They are clearly victims but I'd liken them to someone going down a dark sketchy alley with hundred dollar bills sticking out of their pockets. It's just not a bright place to go , not for a tanker or a yacht with 4 older people. It's a sad situation, I'm not blaming them, just saying their actions contributed to them being put in that situation.

Again, apparently we're talking about the entire northern part of the Indian Ocean. Which should be an international outrage.

Oh no doubt, it's the wild west out there. But the shipping companies say it's cheaper to pay the ransom than to confront the piracy, until that changes then the status quo will remain.

Again, apparently we're talking about the entire northern part of the Indian Ocean. Which should be an international outrage.

Well we know where they are based and have plenty of old ordinance that needs to be disposed of.....Dresden II?

This is a perfect example for the "blame the victim" thread.

I dont know where you see that. I dont think anyone is blaming the victims, but actually putting the situation in the correct perspective. "It is not the yachters fault they were murdered, but they did take a risk in going on these oceans and leaving the other boats. Especially in a place as bad as this." It is a shame they got killed and it is not right in anyway, and i feel bad for them and their families, but also take into account they didnt have to sail these waters and could have avoided the situation. None the less, they are still innocent victims and didnt deserve what they got. I hope the US make a retaliation effort and shows not to **** with us.

Why even waste the time to capture these bastiges? A much better message would have been to bust a cap in all of them and turn them into sea snake and great white food.

Well, I'm just dreaming, but hopefully to gain information that can be used on a shore-bound field trip to Somalia for the SEAL team out there. The head guys are nowhere near those boats.

---------- Post added February-22nd-2011 at 02:00 PM ----------

One group was trying to offer hunting expeditions, I'm not sure if they ever succeeded.

This happened for a while after the fall of the Soviet Union, because when they quit getting paid, their SPETZNAZ soldiers were going down on hopping on boats for work. Turns out them being on boats led to a worldwide shortage in pirates for a while....

I honestly did not know that the entire northern Indian Ocean is now considered dangerous waters because of Somali pirates. It's an outrage that those ill-equipped ragtag thugs can terrorize such a vast stretch of international waters.

I had assumed that their domain was much more localized to the waters off the coast of Somalia.

It's unfortunate, but there is a huge region of the Indian Ocean now that is considered dangerous because of piracy. When I was in Madagascar, Somali pirates took hostages from waters off the northwestern tip of the island. Also, the waters around the Seychelles is well known for piracy. That whole area, eastern African up to the Middle East is at higher risk for piracy. Even these victims knew this and apparently had sent emails expressing their concern about where they were sailing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I still like the suggestion that our Navy use high powered water cannons to swamp the boats of these idiots.

Kind of off topic but, for how much longer should it essentially be our unilateral military responsibility to police the seas the world over? For how much longer can we afford it?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ we can't and we shouldn't. Israel might feel differently however (at least in this specific region).

I don't know about the rest of the world, but there are vessels from various navies (including Russia, China, India, Japan, and NATO) patrolling around Somalia due to these pirates:

http://www.ethjournal.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2080:-pirate-attacks-drop-34-as-navies-patrol-somali-coast-&catid=13:headlines&Itemid=19

Kind of off topic but, for how much longer should it essentially be our unilateral military responsibility to police the seas the world over? For how much longer can we afford it?

I imagine wiping out some rag-tag band of pirates to be much less expensive than occupying two countries in the middle-east.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/piracy;_ylt=AqbdaoouR4DkzEWS7iEKCAAEq594;_ylu=X3oDMTJxMTFucXFrBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTEwMjIyL3BpcmFjeQRjY29kZQNtcF9lY184XzEwBGNwb3MDMwRwb3MDMwRzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3JpZXMEc2xrAzRhbWVyaWNhbmhvcw--

Killing hostages "has now become part of our rules," said a pirate who identified himself as Muse Abdi and referred to last week's sentencing of a pirate to 33 years in prison for the 2009 attack on the U.S. cargo vessel the Maersk Alabama.

"From now on, anyone who tries to rescue the hostages in our hands will only collect dead bodies," he said. "It will never ever happen that hostages are rescued and we are hauled to prison."

Well they've certainly made their ROE clear. I think it's time to start blowing their boats out of the water.

Not if you've actually read the posts in here.

You're right, however it is similar to some of the situations discussed in that thread.

I dont think people were blaming Cooper for walking into a riot and getting punched, however he could have avoided the situation.

It's horrible what happened to these people, may they RIP, but damn, why would they put themselves at risk. they had to have known the dangers of the area.

Carpet bomb the entire Somali coast line and anchorages?

Their lives should be used as an example:

1. For the International Body to keep a large contingent near that location from a UN/Nato Country nearby so its not that expensive. (but big enough to Stomp!)

2. Warn others, no matter the great intentions: Don't go there, for any reason.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I still like the suggestion that our Navy use high powered water cannons to swamp the boats of these idiots.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ You know what would be really cool? Say if someone who knew how to build website forums would put a button that one could click that would quote a previous post so later readers could reference quickly the portion of the quote that a user is responding to....if only such a thing existed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ You know what would be really cool? Say if someone who knew how to build website forums would put a button that one could click that would quote a previous post so later readers could reference quickly the portion of the quote that a user is responding to....if only such a thing existed.

If only people knew you didn't have to use the "hypertext code for quote ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^" while quoting said quote.

Archived