Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

American Yachters Killed by Pirates - CBS News

Dan T.

I don't want to speak for anyone else, but I think it would be remiss to not discuss the cause/effect relationship between actions taken by the victims and the reported results. I also think it's possible to have that conversation without resorting to playing the "you're blaming the victim" card.

Imo, unless it is an area specifically placed off limits by the US Government, there is no fault at all on the part of the victims. We as a nation and other civilized states should never cede the freedom to navigate. These four Americans had every right to be there and unfortunately had their dream voyage cut short by criminals. The US Navy took appropiate action and executed their tasked responsibility of ensuring American citizens have freedom to navigate anywhere in international waters. Next step is to try, convict and execute the 13 pirates and possibly punitively attack their land base.

---------- Post added February-23rd-2011 at 12:28 AM ----------

Kind of off topic but, for how much longer should it essentially be our unilateral military responsibility to police the seas the world over? For how much longer can we afford it?

It's ours and any Navy's responsibility to police the seas against piracy and has been for quite a while (I think going back to the 18th century).

I honestly did not know that the entire northern Indian Ocean is now considered dangerous waters because of Somali pirates. It's an outrage that those ill-equipped ragtag thugs can terrorize such a vast stretch of international waters.

I had assumed that their domain was much more localized to the waters off the coast of Somalia.

Again, apparently we're talking about the entire northern part of the Indian Ocean. Which should be an international outrage.

It's not just a matter of where they were. But their mode of travel, as well.

A yacht, for criminy's sake !!

Come on, nothing says "easy prey for you pirate folks, so come bend me over and **** me" like a yacht does !!

Carpet bomb the entire Somali coast line and anchorages?

This...kill them all, make the Somalis understand if it sails it dies and destroy their ability to launch and maintain the boats required to do such actions, station Apaches and Kiowa hunter killer teams off shore (floating platforms as was done during our last adventure in this part of the world) and let them do their damage. Quit worrying about what the world thinks about us and do what has to be done. The Russians have it right...no mercy no quarter.

There'd be far more outrage if the pirates had executed the Americans pets. Sad really. Regardless of how they came to be in the hands of the Pirates. Every Pirate on board should have been shot on sight and air dropped on a Somali beach. Or maybe forgo shooting them and just air drop them. Take away any thought they have the killing their hostages nets them anything. Heck, I'm guessing life in prison with 3 squares is a lifestlye improvement for most of these thugs.

I am really disappointed with how the administration is handling this whole Somali pirates situation. We know where these camps are, we should fly every B-52 we have at Diego Garcia over these camps and drop a full load of 500 lb bombs and make the ground drop from under these pirates.

I am really disappointed with how the administration is handling this whole Somali pirates situation. We know where these camps are, we should fly every B-52 we have at Diego Garcia over these camps and drop a full load of 500 lb bombs and make the ground drop from under these pirates.

The sooner we get a POTUS that scares people into thinking he has an itchy index finger over the Big Red Button and like cheap toilet paper want take any crap and actually blow a few things up the better.

Unfortunately the only person I see who fits that description is in New Jersey and already said no to running for POTUS in 2012. Hopefully the fatman will run and win in 2016. :)

108967095.jpg

A group of 28 Somali pirates was captured near the Lakshadweep Islands, southwest India, and were handed over to the Mumbai police. The Mumbai court previously dealt with 15 pirates captured on Jan. 31, who were charged with rioting, using weapons, and attempt to murder on the high seas.

The difficulty of getting convictions for piracy carried out in international waters has been an obstacle for fighting the problem in general.

The Indian Navy, in cooperation with the Coast Guard, captured the pirates after a gun battle. The hijacked trawler Prantalaya-11 was used as a mother vessel for attacks on merchant ships, and 24 hostages were freed from the ship.

A group of around 20 hostages freed during the Jan. 31 operation are in the process of returning home, in cooperation with the Thai and Burmese authorities, according to the Hindustan Times. Somali pirates have seized ships of all sizes that are then held for ransom to the owners.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/content/view/51088/

The Pirate's response?

One of the Somalian brigands, caught in the second anti-piracy strike by the Indian Navy and Coast Guard off Lakshadweep islands last Sunday, says he hopes to fulfill just one dream after his release: tour India.

"I love India," he said, in broken English. He was one of the 28 pirates aboard Prantalay-11, the mother ship in a fleet of three Thai fishing trawlers that had been hijacked in April last year.

"I have seen India on television and have started loving it. I want to visit every Indian city," the pirate said, hands and legs tied together. Before further questions could be asked, the Coast Guard officials took him away.

Among the articles seized from the pirates, other than weaponry, officials found several DVDs of Bollywood films. Most of them were action movies.

Read more at: http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/nabbed-somali-pirate-says-he-loves-india-and-bollywood-84836?cp

:ols:

Archived