Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

According to Profootballtalk.com: Atogwe will visit the Redskins Monday

sknz45

Why bother' date=' just stick Capers in at RT and be patient.[/quote']

I see what you did there.

Never mind that you are minimizing the huge difference between a player with starting experience and one who has never made the active roster, and a 30 year old FA signing and a 25 year old one.

Sure but Jim knows him very well and coached him before. In this occasion I'd be fine if Mike met him after he was signed provided that Jim signed off on this first. Then Bruce could deal with the lawyer crap by himself. Your reaction was that this was a terrible thing which I don't think it would be. If Bruce was the only one to speak or meet with him today

My reaction was based off the limited info that we all had, that a signing was imminent.

Looks like both parties we correct, as Atogwe was not in Ashburn today, but the coaching staff has determined that barring a physical, they are going to do what it takes to sign Atogwe.

We've unearthed Brandon Banks, Anthony Armstrong, Lorenzo Alexander, Torain, Lich, etc... but the staff has a vendetta against young DBs and insists on paying through the nose for established vets!! :doh:

Not sure what you are talking about, when the defensive backfield is the most homegrown part of this team. Hall is the only big FA back there, and we got to try him out for cheap before paying him.

A veteran FA will likely need to be signed at FS, if just to improve depth. We can't go a second year with Moore being the only option. (and I wouldn't say Harris and Barnes, both converts, makes me any more confident with our depth)

Just got a reply from LL56 that Hass is not in town but has been talking to OJ

Just checked out your twitter. Found this hilariously ironic.

@tlazHTTR @KMO41AMN Cant wait to see you back on there KMO, I have the utmost faith you will have your breakout year this year man!

Espn 980 Facebook

Per an NFL Source, ESPN 980 has learned that the Redskins reported meeting with Free-Agent FS Safety OJ Atogwe was NOT attended by current Defensive Coordinator Jim Haslett, who coached Atogwe as DC/Head Coach in STL. A NFL source very familiar with Atogwe said "He's a good kid & player. He is a playmaker at the free-safety spot." - Chris Russell

Just got a reply from LL56 that Hass is not in town but has been talking to OJ

Thanks for the info. I think the story is pretty straightforward now, thankfully.

The staff has definitely interest in OJ and we have the desire to lock him up. Haslett has been talking to OJ and Bruce has probably talked to the agent about numbers. It's a holiday today so the coaches are probably wrapping up a vacation, so they'll be in town tomorrow and, provided OJ's physical checks out, they'll meet and allow Shanny to get a look. If everything looks good we might see a contract get hammered out tomorrow night.

I like it. FS is a harder hole to fill than one might think. We've had a massive hole since ST and it was just as massive before ST. Earl Thomas, Eric Berry, Jarius Byrd... these guys were high picks (1st, 1st, 2nd or 3rd). It'd be silly to use that high of a pick to address the FS position due to our other huge needs. It's clear that we are planning to use the draft to find long-term solutions for some of our more pressing needs. And reports are that we should be tremendously under the cap this year (CBA pending, obviously) and this signing will not put us out of the contention for Joseph or whoever.

When a guy becomes available that addresses a need, upgrades the team, fits with the staff, fits with the culture, fits with the scheme, has proven production... you like those things and you try to get something done. For people to be pissing on this "move" when zero details about it have been accurately reported is simply battered housewife skepticism and fear.

I never said safety was our main weakness but denying the obvious lack of consistency and blatant mistakes that were made at the position under said names would be foolish. I like Doughty and Moore I think they're great rotational players that will step up when necessary, but to think suddenly they will become all-pros or even reliable starters when we've seen them in spot duty for 2 years is assuming a lot.

Not every player on a roster is gonna be an all-pro.

I guess we disagree w/ our assessments of our Safeties.

Doughty has been a solid player for the past 2 seasons.

Most people don't even realize that he finished the 2009 season playing @ FS in Blache's system which is actually harder then playing S in Haslett's system.

Moore 1st action as a starter came this year when he probably came back too early following mid-season surgery, so the assessment on Moore remains incomplete.

But that fact that we have bigger needs still doesn't apply to why bringing in a top 10 FS that fits the scheme at a obviously lacking position is a bad thing.

It applies b/c there are limited number of moves that can be made in a given off season.

Therefore signing 1 player limits the other areas that can be addressed.

Saying we dont have a hole at safety just because Moore is there doesn't mean that the hole doesn't exist. He didn't show up last year because you figure he was rushed back from injury too soon? Laron balled out basicly on one leg so I would have to say Moore had been afforded time to show us what he has to offer. He is not anywhere near ready to come close to a player like OJ. I would say that Bryant showed that he could fill the hole at Nose tackle more than Moore showed he was a compitent free safety.

Imo a hole at a postion means there isn't competent NFL caliber play from that position.

Its not my opinion that he was brought back to soon Mike Shanahan said as much last year.

You also seem to forget that he had surgery during the season. If you don't think having surgery in the middle of the season is gonna effect how he plays then I don't know what to tell you.

I never said he was near OJ as player, and unless you can predict the future you don't what type of player Moore could become either.

My point is that the team owes it to themselves to find out.

Matt Bowens brings up some important questions about Moore that a re-builging team would be wise to find the answers to before they search for FA answers:

First, my take: Atogwe does things that Kareem Moore wasn't able to do this past season. How much of that was because of Moore's knee injury? Before he got hurt, Moore looked good.............My take: Moore's angles weren't very good, particularly vs. the run, and that meant few plays were made. Again, is that inexperience and his injury? Or is this who he is?

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/nfl/2011/02/bowen-atogwe-good-fit#ixzz1EdUCu1Z7

Thanks for the info. I think the story is pretty straightforward now, thankfully.

The staff has definitely interest in OJ and we have the desire to lock him up. Haslett has been talking to OJ and Bruce has probably talked to the agent about numbers. It's a holiday today so the coaches are probably wrapping up a vacation, so they'll be in town tomorrow and, provided OJ's physical checks out, they'll meet and allow Shanny to get a look. If everything looks good we might see a contract get hammered out tomorrow night.

I like it. FS is a harder hole to fill than one might think. We've had a massive hole since ST and it was just as massive before ST. Earl Thomas, Eric Berry, Jarius Byrd... these guys were high picks (1st, 1st, 2nd or 3rd). It'd be silly to use that high of a pick to address the FS position due to our other huge needs. It's clear that we are planning to use the draft to find long-term solutions for some of our more pressing needs. And reports are that we should be tremendously under the cap this year (CBA pending, obviously) and this signing will not put us out of the contention for Joseph or whoever.

When a guy becomes available that addresses a need, upgrades the team, fits with the staff, fits with the culture, fits with the scheme, has proven production... you like those things and you try to get something done. For people to be pissing on this "move" when zero details about it have been accurately reported is simply battered housewife skepticism and fear.

after about 300 or so posts in this thread, i think this guy gets it!!

Espn 980 Facebook

Per an NFL Source, ESPN 980 has learned that the Redskins reported meeting with Free-Agent FS Safety OJ Atogwe was NOT attended by current Defensive Coordinator Jim Haslett, who coached Atogwe as DC/Head Coach in STL. A NFL source very familiar with Atogwe said "He's a good kid & player. He is a playmaker at the free-safety spot." - Chris Russell

Maybe Haslett doesn't feel he needs to be there for the meeting...he knows the guy already, and might have other obligations right now. Why delay a possible signing, putting it in jeopardy, if the coach who knows him best just can't be there? Unless of course having Haslett in the room would make it easier to sign him. But I don't think that's the case. OJ isn't stupid...he'll know that Has is the DC either way. Makes no difference if he's there tonight or not.

Just checked out your twitter. Found this hilariously ironic.

@tlazHTTR @KMO41AMN Cant wait to see you back on there KMO, I have the utmost faith you will have your breakout year this year man!

I wrote that last year before the season started. If you read my posts in previous pages I said that I was a huge Moore fan ever since I met him.

With that said I cant believe how bad he played last year. I really felt he was going to have a great year last year but he proved me wrong. Its not like I want to get rid of him I still like him a lot but he just isn't the answer as our starting FS.

---------- Post added February-21st-2011 at 11:19 PM ----------

Maybe Haslett doesn't feel he needs to be there for the meeting...he knows the guy already, and might have other obligations right now. Why delay a possible signing, putting it in jeopardy, if the coach who knows him best just can't be there? Unless of course having Haslett in the room would make it easier to sign him. But I don't think that's the case. OJ isn't stupid...he'll know that Has is the DC either way. Makes no difference if he's there tonight or not.

Well dont expect anything official tonight. He is scheduled for a physical tomorrow and then meeting with the coaches afterwards.

Not every player on a roster is gonna be an all-pro.

Moore 1st action as a starter came this year when he probably came back too early following mid-season surgery, so the assessment on Moore remains incomplete.

Imo a hole at a postion means there isn't competent NFL caliber play from that position.

Its not my opinion that he was brought back to soon Mike Shanahan said as much last year.

You also seem to forget that he had surgery during the season. If you don't think having surgery in the middle of the season is gonna effect how he plays then I don't know what to tell you.

I never said he was near OJ as player, and unless you can predict the future you don't what type of player Moore could become either.

My point is that the team owes it to themselves to find out.

Matt Bowens brings up some important questions about Moore that a re-builging team would be wise to find the answers to before they search for FA answers:

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/nfl/2011/02/bowen-atogwe-good-fit#ixzz1EdUCu1Z7

Moore had surgery in the preseason. Not in the middle of the season. I dont want to get rid of moore either I am just saying that he had his knee scoped wit a reovery time of 4 weeks and by seasons end AT LEAST he should have shown signs of improvement. He digressed. His best game was the first one he played coming back from his injury. There is no doubting his potential but you did compare him to OJ because you asked how far off would he be from OJ had he not been injured? There was alot of hype on Moore heading into the season and he just hasn't shown he is worthy of it. That being said he deserves a spot on this roster. OJ IMO has a chance to still be probowl callibre. He hasn't had much recognition because he played on the crappy rams for years.

Hey guys I really don't feel like reading throughout this whole thread. Can somebody give me a summary of what's going on?

There are details I'm skipping but: OJ is coming to DC tonight. Rumors are swirling that we are very interested.

There are details I'm skipping but: OJ is coming to DC tonight. Rumors are swirling that we are very interested.

Thanks bud. Wouldn't be upset either way. He's def an upgrade.

LL56xtremeskins LL

A lot of confusion going on.. OJ &skins communicating through the day. In Dc this evening. Hope the shoulder checks out tommorrow.

26 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

JsteelzExtreme Jsteelz

@

@LL56xtremeskins he aint here for social visit.. again grinding.. numbers exchanged

2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Looks like it's still a go.

---------- Post added February-21st-2011 at 07:21 PM ----------

We need an actual GM.

Huh? How does any of this reflect anything regarding Bruce Allen?

Hey guys I really don't feel like reading throughout this whole thread. Can somebody give me a summary of what's going on?

RECAP This thread is triggered by news of the impending visit to the Skins by Rams Free-Safety Oshiomogho ATOGWE who was recently released from his contract by the Rams ... for financial reasons (a big contract payment would have been due if it stayed in place.) Atogwe is planning to visit a few teams that have indicated interest (including the Rams!)

Atogwe's visit raises hopes for some, and concerns for others -- on if the Skins can sign him, and if so how much the Skins might offer Atogwe for a contract.

Some want Atogwe signed even though he will be 30 when the 2011 season opens, and even though it might require offering him a contract of $5+ million/year for 4-5 years. They note that he was previously franchised by the Rams, is a good player at Free Safety, and is familiar with Hasletts system as he played for Haslett. They claim this year's draft has very few free safeties of value -- so free agency is the smartest way to go. They claim there is a glaring hole at free safety, that to leave it unaddressed would be bad for the team --and conclude Atogwe is the best solution for this problem. [Note: I fall into this camp.]

Others feel this is spending too much for an aging free-agent when the team is going through a transition, and Atogwe doesn't fit with the youth movement on the team. Others feel that incumbent Kareem Moore wasn't given enough of a chance to show that there really isn't a need to a 2-3 year stop-gap at FS, while the team continues to transition its defense. Some are concerned this is a return to the Snyder/Cerrato ways of getting locked into expensive free agent contracts that freeze up the roster contractually, requiring the Skins keep athletes past their prime. They say this hinders the develop of a nucleus of core players 'home-grown' from the Skins drafts. Others claim we don't need 6-7 costly free agents, but there are a few other spots that need the $$$ an Atogwe contract would likely tie up.

So, besides the tradtional 'back-and-forth' about building through the draft vs. relying on free agents, there was also discussions:

• On where Atogwe stood in the rankings of Free Safeties vis a vis age, salary, and performance.
  • About some tweets indicating that the Skins were close to signing Atogwe, but this turned out to be a misunderstanding.
  • If Atogwe wasn't signed, then who would be able to step in at Free Safety (and a little about CB as well) for the Skins?
  • Whether the Skins could sign Atogwe and still obtain the quality players they need for the D-lines, O-lines, WRs, LBs, etc.

It's been a lively discussion.

---------- Post added February-21st-2011 at 07:44 PM ----------

LOL, there's also been a bit of discussion on the merits of Allen as a GM if this signing takes place.

Archived